GrillGrates Again...

I do wings on my Genesis all the time without GGs.

Everybody's been doing wings on regular grates since the dawn of man.

I found using the GGs guaranteed even consistent heat from one end of the grill to the other. In addition, the surface temp even on the lowest gas setting is higher than with standard grates. This plus the semi-griddle effect (haven't reversed the grates to the griddle side yet), all add up to something I find better enough that standard grates to justify the investment.

I always try to slow grill chicken. I didn't time it but I think the wings and thighs I did the other day cooked faster due to the higher surface temperature but with no negative consequence to the quality of the cook, i.e., the tenderness of the meat. This was true for a small beef roast I did afterward.

There's something in this entire mix which works for me.

Bruce — notice how many wings I’m cooking all at once? A lot more tightly packed than your cook. Nowhere to move the wings around if flare ups start.

Also, your Genny is a deep cook box with double flav bars, right? I have a shallow box Silver B with a single layer.

At least on my grill, that many wings and that much dripping juice would not be possible. Would need the xl sized spray bottle.

Last edited:
I have somehow managed to be tagged as the defender of GrillGrates. While I do like them very much for the right applications, it's fine with me that others don't.

Jim,
In agreement with what you noted, I think the benefits of GrillGrates are less needed if you have an older style, 13-bar firebox. The two rows of flavorizer bars bring some of the evening out aspects. For grills with a single row of flavorizer bars, the benefits of GG are likely to be greater.

15% off plus a free apron with a $150 order through June 19. I've got the first 10 bucks towards buying a set for Larry for Father's Day. Whaddaya say, Mr. Michaels...would you give a set of freebies a fair and honest chance to earn your respect? BTW - I've never used them either but all of this chatter makes me want to try them and settle it for myself.

I'm in for another $10 - $30 if I get the apron so I can post a picture of me wearing "Powered by GrillGrates"! :cool:

Crowdfunding has begun!

:ROFLMAO:

Yes...That is absolutely true, and I respect Larry for that very much. In the funny aspect of the crowdfunding idea, I lost sight of that important reality. I don't think he would be interested even if they were made of 316 stainless-steel anyway!

Hey - I'm happy that people like them. They seem like they would be great in certain applications for a lot of people. Not sure how much I would benefit from them but if someone gave me a set I would give them a good try out. That said I never had problems filling a grill with wings without them. Never burn any either. Here is a Q120 full of them.

1654533615382.jpeg

Yes...That is absolutely true, and I respect Larry for that very much. In the funny aspect of the crowdfunding idea, I lost sight of that important reality. I don't think he would be interested even if they were made of 316 stainless-steel anyway!
If they were made of 316, I doubt we could afford them;-)

I would have thought wings on a Q grill would be a hard one to pull off. I guess that just goes to their versatility and simplicity.

I usually douse them in Buffalo Wing sauce at the end of the cook and throw them back on for a glaze. That is where I have to be careful of flare ups since I crank up the heat then too.

How do you guys do your wings? Do you sauce them at all or just some seasonings at the beginning? I also like plain seasoned wings that emphasizes garlic.

15% off plus a free apron with a $150 order through June 19. I've got the first 10 bucks towards buying a set for Larry for Father's Day. Whaddaya say, Mr. Michaels...would you give a set of freebies a fair and honest chance to earn your respect? BTW - I've never used them either but all of this chatter makes me want to try them and settle it for myself.
Still would not touch them. 1. Aluminum, 2. I have proven them time and again to be a gimmick. The only thing I cannot achieve "easily" by not using them is magic marker lines on my food. Though, many years ago I was speaking with who was then the executive chef of "The Weber Grill" rest in Chicago. He told me if I am really interested in "lines" (grill marks) to simply brush my foods with melted butter prior to dropping it on the grates. I personally nearly wretch at the smell of butter "browning" (and the taste) so the thought of doing that and ruining a beautiful piece of fish or meat, was not on my good eats menu.
Also as #3, Holding excess heat in a fire box (especially aluminum) is not a good thing. Grills are designed with a certain amount of total airflow necessary for proper fuel combustion and maximum heat tolerances.

I would have thought wings on a Q grill would be a hard one to pull off. I guess that just goes to their versatility and simplicity.

I usually douse them in Buffalo Wing sauce at the end of the cook and throw them back on for a glaze. That is where I have to be careful of flare ups since I crank up the heat then too.

How do you guys do your wings? Do you sauce them at all or just some seasonings at the beginning? I also like plain seasoned wings that emphasizes garlic.
I put them in a zip lock with corn starch, pepper, cyan, salt, paprika, and shake till coated. Then on a rack in the fridge for about an hour. Then cook. Last 5 minutes put brush on a mix of Franks red hot, butter, honey that I heated up. They are quite fantastic ;-) Here is the video that inspired me. One of the comments has the brushing mix.

I said; "Not sure how much I would benefit from them but if someone gave me a set I would give them a good try out. " Well it turns out that sort of happened. I came across an ad on FBM for a Spirit E310 that had Grillgrates and got it for $150 figuring I could clean it up and cut a set of SS Napoleon grates I had to fit it and keep the Grillgrates. I made $75 off the Spirit and cleaned up the grates and kept them. I really don't know how I will use them. I am making grilled eggplant parm for a pot luck tonight so I could try them out on the flat side maybe. If I bought one more it would cover my P500 from side to side. I will report back after I try them out a few times. They were not a lot of fun to clean up so far.
spirit.jpgspirit GG.jpg20220711_103903.jpg

Nice job cleaning them. I recently received my 2nd pair of GGs for my G310. As I mentioned on this thread and elsewhere, I'm a very satisfied customer. Looking forward to your review, @Joe Anshien !

Joe, that’s “great” that you got a chance to try those out on the cheap. It is a little bit of a learning curve, but not near as hard as going back to “regular” grates after getting used to GrillGrates.

You did an excellent job of cleaning those up. They are pretty much impossible to get back to new. Really, that is ok, though. You just want to keep the rail tops clean (a wood paddle scraper is perfect for this) and keep the holes open so they breathe. The coating of seasoning otherwise is totally fine even if not “pretty” like you would want for a resale.

34AB6AB6-49E7-4B8A-89EB-97F55C87B6B6.jpeg

Let us know how they work for you!

You ought to flip some of those panels to make use of the griddle side. I find that I use the griddle side more often than not, and mine are set mostly griddle. I think, with them being as clean as they are, you might have problems with sticking...you might want to use an onion on them first, especially the griddle side.

With the griddle side, if I get the char where I want it but I need a bit more cooking time, I use a wire rack to hold the food above the griddle. I'm sure you have your own techniques, but that's what works for me. I haven't done a reverse sear, but that's how I would do it for a first attempt.

I look forward to hearing your honest opinion, Joe!

Last edited:
You ought to flip some of those panels to make use of the griddle side.

I did that last week for the first time. Burgers on the griddle, everything else on the grills. Very convenient. Also, the separation between sections allows of multiple temperature zones.

Here's a link to the FB GrillGrate Fans group. Lots of nice pictures and ideas there.

Here's a link to the FB GrillGrate Fans group. Lots of nice pictures and ideas there.

Unfortunately, I refuse to have accounts on major social media platforms.

On second thought, change that to fortunately.

Back