Grilled Chicken Cacciatore

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My new invention grilled chicken cacciatore. I seasoned with S&P grilled the chicken kinda low and slow skin got fairly crispy. In the flat pan, I began with sliced up yellow onion, tri color bell peppers (3 of them), garlic, S&P. along with EVOO. Let those cook and make marriage then started adding fresh herbs from wife's pots. Fresh oregano, and thyme, then one can of organic Kirkland San Marzano tomatoes, then some fresh sprigs of basilico, and finally my secret ingredient. A half cup of vodka. Don't laugh. If anyone wants to know why I will explain in a later chapter. But it was a trick taught to me in Italy by a 5 star chef. These will be served with tortellini and maybe a nice tossed salad and of course il vino
1659829046016.jpeg

Trying to decide last night on a nice supper (dad is over so we can take him to a ball this afternoon at Rivets Stadium). So on the fly made up grilled chicken caciatore. Seasoned and grilled the thighs (S,P, thyme and oregano), until nearly done and skin crisped. While it was grilling at the rear of the Genesis, my deep heavy SS grill pan went on with onion, garlic, tri color bell pepper along with some EVOO, S&P. Sautéed that down along and added some of my wife's freshly grown herbs (thyme and oregano), then one medium can of San Marzano tomatoes I crushed up then my secret ingredient 1/4 cup of vodka. Reason is long and was taught to me by a 5 star chef in Italy. Chicken pieces were added and all was allowed to simmer. Meanwhile some nice cheese tortellini cooked and all served together. Fresh basilico added to the sauce during cook as well Bellissima
1659877500507.jpeg
1659877524510.jpeg

Wow; you hit that one out of the park. Nice grill pan, too. Glad you were able to have time with your Dad this weekend.

Larry, that looks really good! That’s definitely my kind of meal! We also have some fresh herbs growing, it’s so nice to just snip what you need.

8D7F2BE9-223E-4FB2-B85F-C32D4D9131CF.jpeg

Trying to decide last night on a nice supper (dad is over so we can take him to a ball this afternoon at Rivets Stadium). So on the fly made up grilled chicken caciatore. Seasoned and grilled the thighs (S,P, thyme and oregano), until nearly done and skin crisped. While it was grilling at the rear of the Genesis, my deep heavy SS grill pan went on with onion, garlic, tri color bell pepper along with some EVOO, S&P. Sautéed that down along and added some of my wife's freshly grown herbs (thyme and oregano), then one medium can of San Marzano tomatoes I crushed up then my secret ingredient 1/4 cup of vodka. Reason is long and was taught to me by a 5 star chef in Italy. Chicken pieces were added and all was allowed to simmer. Meanwhile some nice cheese tortellini cooked and all served together. Fresh basilico added to the sauce during cook as well Bellissima
View attachment 56912
View attachment 56913
I'm drooling!

Larry that looks outstanding! I hope I don't steal your thunder with this, but the vodka opens up some of the flavors in the ingredients that are alcohol soluble, especially with the tomatoes. It doesn't take much, just a little to kind of "open things up".

I put a little splash or two of bourbon in my tomato sauce. Sometimes a little more if it's just for me.

View attachment 56912
View attachment 56913
Off the hook!!! Pass the P cheese…..

Larry that looks outstanding! I hope I don't steal your thunder with this, but the vodka opens up some of the flavors in the ingredients that are alcohol soluble, especially with the tomatoes. It doesn't take much, just a little to kind of "open things up".

I put a little splash or two of bourbon in my tomato sauce. Sometimes a little more if it's just for me.
It's not stealing any thunder. I learned the trick in Italy. The chef did not explain the "why" only that it "worked". I learned the "why" one night watching Alton Brown. So this gave me the reason behind the technique. Truthfully any alcohol will do (wine, other spirits, etc). It explains why my grandma always put a healthy dollop of grandpa's homemade wine in her gravy. My mother as well. Never once saw them put garbage in their gravy (sauce) like "sugar". Yuk!
I kinda like the vodka trick because it's "neutral". You don't taste the spirit only the result

Back