Grill Shelter Query

Jim McKelvey

TVWBB All-Star
Hey everyone - quick question...going to upgrade some of the fleet soon, but before I do am looking at various ideas for some sort of cooking area shelter. Up to this time, I've basically just used strategically places beach umbrellas. I'd like something that would cover multiple cookers and have a less haphazard appearance. I've looked at canopies, building a little lean to type of thing, shade sails, etc. Plusses and minuses I suppose for each... What are y'all doing and how is it working for you? Thanks!

I did this4EFC4FD7-BD6D-4AB9-9149-98785ADD3D68.jpeg
The shade sail I think is a good thing but, then you are kind of committed to a position. I suppose I have mine in one spot anyway but, I don’t have a good way to hang a big shade sail. Now, I’m going to have to start thinking about that!

Last edited:
Umbrellas might look haphazard, but they make up for it in versatility. The Sun's declination varies through the year and it's position changes throughout the day, We use umbrellas so that we can always have the shade where it's needed. It all depends on your particular location and usage. we're fortunate to live in the mild climate around SoCal. We cook and entertain outdoors year round. So the umbrellas are the most functional solution, though certainly the least elegant. If you build any structure that will cover your cookers, carefully consider your design to minimize the risk of fire. I've seen several variations on this theme that use a corrugated metal roof.

pallet-outdoor-kitchen-1-640x853.jpg

That's a really nice cover, Timothy.

I've been researching this for myself. There's tons of pictures, ideas and plans of smoke shacks/sheds that you'll get from a google search.

A main consideration is what you are seeking protection from. A structure that protects from the wind (very important where I live) will be a completely different thing than something that only protects from rain/sun.

Another consideration is whether you want your smoke shack to have a sit down bar, kegerator, wide screen TV, and have storage for a pallet of charcoal plus a couple cords of wood. Some of the outdoor man caves you'll find are off-the-chain.

In terms of actual, use-able functionality, my current mobile set-up (a big patio umbrella and a wind screen) is really all I need TBH. But far from what I want.

Are you looking to use this on a patio or a deck? When I was using our back patio I anchored a 10' X 12' canopy. For a wind break I made some panels that I could drop down to block rain and wind. That was a lot cheaper than building a hurricane proof wood structure (Florida building code). When the big winds came I could remove the canvas and the frame stood up to the wind. Over time the sun eats the canvas and it needs replacing and that's an ongoing cost.

Made of free pallets. 4. 4x4s including firewood lean to on back. 6 2x4s. Metal roof. It has a sink, lights i can operate remotely from house or in it, receptacles, tables, close enough to use the wifi for my cyberq, and i can fit my 3 wsms and my grill in it. Love being covered when it's raining.

Attachments

• 20181210_120447.jpg
    20181210_120447.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 49
  • 20181222_082043.jpg
    20181222_082043.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 48
I've used a 10x10 EZ-up canopy with good results. Plenty of work space underneath and it sets up and comes down in a couple of minutes. It's easy to store and transport as well.

Jeff

I've used a 10x10 EZ-up canopy with good results. Plenty of work space underneath and it sets up and comes down in a couple of minutes. It's easy to store and transport as well.

Jeff
I use one of those from time to time too, they work pretty darned well! For smoking lately as a windscreen I built this:6EFFA80A-BBB3-43A5-8BA6-F03BF400CDA1.jpeg442F964B-ED04-4287-A68C-D9E07F85D956.jpeg
This was prior to trimming the “roof” .
Always some kind of “improvement” in the works, improved illumination is next. And deck railing.
The P1gVillion, it’s not but, it works pretty well for me, the cold months make me wish I have more wind relief but, I will need to sort that out when it’s warm!

Last edited:
So here is the set up from a couple of different angles. I'd like to have the grills along the side of the deck where the wood table is...tree is a bit of an issue and can't be removed. So a build or gazebo type structure can only be 6-7' in width. You might notice too the ground is sloped pretty significantly for such a narrow space.

One other idea was to create a new section of the patio where the CPI sign i and then run a sail from the house. But I think there are too many negatives regarding the sail.

20210223_125127_resized.jpg20210223_125056_resized.jpg

The options would depend a lot on which things you are looking to get out of this.

Counter and workspace? Closed storage? Wind protection? Sun protection? Rain protection while cooking? Rain protection while not cooking?

What are the must haves vs. nice to haves?

I see lots of ways to spend a ton of (someone else’s) money!
The thing that concerns me a little about “shadesail” things is wind resistance, there can be a lot of wind in a big hurry so, leaving them up overnight is not an option for me as a “summer safe” zone. Most of the time I feel more confident taking them down after a day or two. I do use one as a shade thing for bigger parties but, aside from that, I don’t leave it up for the season. Walnut trees can play an additional layer of concern, old trees shed limbs and might puncture a sail, let alone the staining misery! I’ll be staining my brand new deck later this summer, walnut brown!

The options would depend a lot on which things you are looking to get out of this.

Counter and workspace? Closed storage? Wind protection? Sun protection? Rain protection while cooking? Rain protection while not cooking?

Very good points! If an outdoor kitchen is the goal, that will be a different “footprint” than simply a covered area over a small area. Given your on hand equipment, I would probably stage them in a comfortable arrangement and use it for a month, see where things work or, not. Then see what that footprint is and go more “hardscape” with maybe some counter space then sorting out a windscreen or roof.
Like I say, I can spend someone else’s money with reckless abandon!😂

Great list of questions to ask. I would add a couple more.

Does your area have a prevailing wind direction, and if so, what direction is it?

Where is the entrance to your indoor kitchen? I see a dryer outlet. Is a door to your kitchen convenient to that CPI sign?

I will say you have plenty of stairs on the deck.
Two on the side and one on the whole front.;)

Thanks all - good questions and ideas. Great point about the sail and winds...I'm always taking the canopy down if we have threat of wind or hail. And it comes down for most of winter also. Not an outdoor kitchen...more along lines of covered area. I guess the number one item for me will be providing the grills / smoker some shelter from the elements. I'm not a big fan of the covers - always been a critter haven for me. Others wants are kind of all 2nd tier - keeping me out of rain, perhaps lighting, shelf or table. I was searching some images - ideally a simplified version of something like this with a nicer grill :p.

I enter / exit the house to the cooking area from the garage (just off camera, to left of CPI)...have 'server' station in there with sink, paper towels, seasonings and fridge.

1614138445799.png

Honestly, I kind of like the corrugated steel roof and back making that out of 4x4’s seems wise for the base if you never plan on moving it and it seems like you want to do that. I am considering doing something like that but, I’m not sure yet.
If I did the corrugated roof, I would install some sort of series of hooks to accept an awning for those days when the rain comes in at an unusual angle but, there is always another tweak no matter how many months you spend thinking about it.
Good luck!

Jeff
Same with me when I am smoking over night. My only problem is that from the door to the deck you step down so the door is taller then the shelter. I have to put the shelter on 4 small HD buckets just so I can go from the house to deck.

Back