Grill Shelter Query

Reviving this one to share the outcome.... build took about a 4 weekends and a few nights after work. Was more expensive than budgeted for due to price of lumber, made a few mistakes and not sure my construction techniques are the best...but the finished product is what I wanted and finally have the new grill to "anchor" the spot.

Started with footers and a plan to tie the build into the existing deck structure which is super solid.
Wanted to have a "lighter" look, but in order to strengthen the structure ended up having to add extra support and eventually some knee braces.

1622571633041.png

1622571661979.png

Not sure I am the best in terms of design etc....I had a few random ideas. Some worked, some did not.
1622571683715.png

I went for more protection from the elements...it ended up being a more enclosed space than ideal but pretty cool I think.
1622571707504.png

Finished product from different views.

1622571734081.png

1622571752096.png

1622571766410.png

Thanks to everyone for ideas and inspiration. It is no P1gvillion and still needs a few tweaks, definitely some sort of lighting. But a great experience building with my 15 year old, learning some things and pushing my limited skill set to the limit. Now I gotta break in the new gasser....

Last edited:
I just threw mine under the deck stairs...my gas grill is on the top of the deck, but I don't use that as much. Stays pretty dry under there unless the rain is sideways.

20210601_142053.jpg

Reviving this one to share the outcome.... build took about a 4 weekends and a few nights after work. Was more expensive than budgeted for due to price of lumber, made a few mistakes and not sure my construction techniques are the best...but the finished product is what I wanted and finally have the new grill to "anchor" the spot.

Started with footers and a plan to tie the build into the existing deck structure which is super solid.
Wanted to have a "lighter" look, but in order to strengthen the structure ended up having to add extra support and eventually some knee braces.

View attachment 29331

View attachment 29332

Not sure I am the best in terms of design etc....I had a few random ideas. Some worked, some did not.
View attachment 29333

I went for more protection from the elements...it ended up being a more enclosed space than ideal but pretty cool I think.
View attachment 29334

Finished product from different views.

View attachment 29335

View attachment 29336

View attachment 29337

Thanks to everyone for ideas and inspiration. It is no P1gvillion and still needs a few tweaks, definitely some sort of lighting. But a great experience building with my 15 year old, learning some things and pushing my limited skill set to the limit. Now I gotta break in the new gasser....
Solid Job, looks great!
I like the open area ( beer rail) on the left side.
Makes handing off platters or plates of BBQ easy!

Last edited:

Back