Greetings from SoCal!

R Malin

Finally checking in after buying my WSM 22.5" for a Christmas present to myself. I've been futzing around with a smoker box on my Weber Genesis but finally gave in and joined the big boys with my WSM purchase. I've been trying to build up a repertoire to honor my Texas roots which includes brisket and beef short ribs. My other go-to Q is pork ribs, both babies and short ribs. As I type this I'm trying my first 10# boston butt, which I've read is pretty much bulletproof.

My only comment/concern thus far is temperature control on the 22.5. I'm a disciple of the 225 long and slow method but the only way I can keep my 22.5 at 225 is to use the fuse/snake method. For my 10# butt I filled the charcoal ring to the brim then dumped 1/3 of a chimney on top and spread it around a little bit. After 90 minutes I'm sitting at 260 degrees and I've had all the vents closed since around 210 degrees an hour ago. I'm not too worried about it since I have a butt in the smoker, but would love to be able to keep my WSM at 225 for 12 hours straight. As far as I can tell, my method of choice will be to use a snake fuse, using two bricks in the middle and the charcoal wrapped around in a C shape. This will last around 5-6 hours. I can then transfer my Q into the kitchen oven at 225 for 30 minutes or so while I reload the snake/fuse for another 6 hour cook. If you guys have a better way let me know. I've read other websites, namely amazing ribs.com, which recommended the 18.5 WSM because the 22.5 burns too hot. I did research, relying heavily on this site, and came away with the conclusion that the 22.5 afforded more flexibility and provided ample room for my 15# briskets that I like to smoke.

Welcome to the Forum.
About briqs setup, imo I usually use the tin can minion method with water in the waterpan, like this

IMG_5836 di BBQness, su Flickr

This set up gives me up to 18 h of smoking around 225 F w/3 unlit chimneys and 12/14 briqs lit at the beginning. Only the bottom vent in front of the lit briqs is used and the exhaust vent is wide open

Welcome to the group.You will get less are leakage as the WSM gets bunked up so you should be able to get lower temps. You are using water in the pan?

Once it gets used a few times it will seal better. I use a full water pan filled with hot water from a tea pot for low n slows. Full bag of KingsFord Blue bag with a few chunks of wood (hickory, Apple, mesquite) depending on what I'm smoking. Around a 1/4 or so of chimney lit poured on top. I can get 225 for a long time with that setup. First thing I did when I purchased my 22 1/2 was to install the Gasket seal kit for door and sections.

Welcome to the Family !
If you remember that the number of lit coals determines the temperature range, you'll be good. If a third chimney is too hot, next time use less.
And, there's a large bbq contest just down the street from you (in Long Beach) on May 10th, at the Queen Mary.

You guys rock!

You guys rock! Thanks for the minion setup advice. I've read somewhere that just sprinkling lit coals on top of the pile does the trick but perhaps I need to scale back on the number of coals. I'll go with 12-15 next time. I've also heard mixed opinions on whether or not a gasket kit is necessary but I'll keep that in the back of my mind. I've used my smoker 10 times or so, so perhaps it needs to collect more "goodness." I have been filling the water pan to the brim with cold tap water to keep the temp down.

My pork butt turned out great. I smoked at 250-260 for 14 hours then got impatient when it got stuck at 192. I placed it in a pan, then covered everything in foil with a little beer in the bottom, then put it in the kitchen oven at 200 for 2 hours. That seemed to do the trick.

There's a good chance I'll be down at the Long Beach Q festival. I'll be the guy with 3 little kids in tow.

You asked for pics, so here 'tis:
14059181214_8e719e89fc_z.jpg

14058740925_2611feefbe_z.jpg

Last edited:

Back