Green Genesis 1000LX Build

Glad you found your unicorn Josh! I look forward to seeing how it turns out and that first ribeye, if you can bring yourself to firing it up.:)

When the sun comes up I'm going to go out and start taking it apart piece by piece. I think I will wax and detail the frame piece by piece. Clean out the cook box and underside of the lid. Really doesn't seem like a lot of work to get this thing looking brand new again. I'll be installing a brand new set of RCplanebuyer's custom Fab flavorizer bars and a brand new set of #9930 grates. The burners and igniter and everything else look to be as good as new so no need to mess with that.

To those of us that grew up reading Popular Mechanics, passion about this classic American iron is totally understandable. Gems never to be made again.

To those of us that grew up reading Popular Mechanics, passion about this classic American iron is totally understandable. Gems never to be made again.
I have 100% found a high level of appreciation for these old Weber grills. The older I get the more I appreciate old things that were built right. Built to last.

If possible, maybe consider putting the cover on it and parking it in a corner for a little while as-is. The freshness and excitement of a new arrival has prompted me to tear into a grill too soon on more than one occasion. A recent Gen 2 project immediately comes to mind. I had grand plans for it at first and was eventually able to reset the project to a more fitting conclusion. It took 8 months of down time from acquisition date to start date on the project for me to realize it, though. With yours being so original and unmolested, it would be a great “reference” grill in any collection to be able to lift the cover on and take a peek at or use a measurement from as you work you way through other projects. There will always be another grill out in the market in need of a rescue or rehab but there are very few examples like yours that don’t. Maybe redirect your energy and enthusiasm towards one of these “lost causes” for a bit if you have the opportunity. Time is your best friend here. Today’s thoughts, ideas, and plans will eventually morph into solid decisions a few days, a few weeks, or even a month or two from now. Regardless of how you proceed, it’s a great piece. Congrats on the find!

Last edited:
If possible, maybe consider putting the cover on it and parking it in a corner for a little while as-is. The freshness and excitement of a new arrival has prompted me to tear into a grill too soon on more than one occasion. A recent Gen 2 project immediately comes to mind. I had grand plans for it at first and was eventually able to reset the project to a more fitting conclusion. It took 8 months of down time from acquisition date to start date on the project for me to realize it, though. With yours being so original and unmolested, it would be a great “reference” grill in any collection to be able to lift the cover on and take a peek at or use a measurement from as you work you way through other projects. There will always be another grill out in the market in need of a rescue or rehab but there are very few examples like yours that don’t. Maybe redirect your energy and enthusiasm towards one of these “lost causes” for a bit if you have the oppotunity. Time is your best friend here. Today’s thoughts, ideas, and plans will eventually morph into solid decisions a few days, a few weeks, or even a month or two from now. Regardless of how you proceed, it’s a great piece. Congrats on the find!
Thanks Tom for the wise words!

When the sun comes up I'm just going to give it a really good cleaning and wax to help protect it.

This barbecue came with arguably one of the best covers ever made for these. I've searched and I can't find them anymore but this one came with it and probably part of the reason why it is so nice still.

Screenshot_20240710_021854_OfferUp~2.jpg

I have two more covers like this but they're not fitted tight like this one. I'm happy to have all three covers though because these old ones are very thick and durable.

Honestly I really like the look of the gray Durawood. Plus I like how easy it is to keep looking nice on a grill that gets "driven". Re, a second flip up table, IIRC one was offered as an option on them. So, IMO I don't think it would ruin it's originality. But, it's just my opinion. Honestly it's a really nice grill and seeing your past work I don't think ANYTHING you do for it will ruin that one bit.

I have read every post on this...I'm emotionally broken lol!!

Same, and I am waiting for more!
Absolutely Cody!
Also I'm still waiting to see pictures of redhead of yours!

I have it tucked away in the back corner at work. I would totally do it, but not until this next project (actual work, lol) is complete, or at least moved into the paint booth! which could be today if all goes well.

Rebuilding a classic car is one thing, but when you find one in a barn with 68 miles on it, you don't do anything but dust it off and give it a wash and wax.

True. True. But you can still throw a nice set of new rims on it and keep the factory originals. Its not a huge mod that is destroying the integrity of it.

That makes sense. I can't argue with that. That said I might like to try some stuff that's easily changed back. Not because I'm trying to piss anybody off or ruin a classic. I've had this build envisioned in my head and now because I found an extra nice Grill I shouldn't do it. I appreciate your opinion and everybody elses on the matter. Personally I don't see that changing out the dura wood for real wood is ruining a classic but I understand not everybody will agree with that. If I found a classic barn find car I would also swap out the bias ply tires for new radials.

I just replied to Bruce the same thing before reading this aahahaa

I think my biggest dislike of the durawood is the handle, with the elongated slats in it. I almost think it looks like it was an afterthought, and looks kind of chincey. The Silver handles look far better on a grill with the durawood, IMO

I think my biggest dislike of the durawood is the handle, with the elongated slats in it. I almost think it looks like it was an afterthought, and looks kind of chincey. The Silver handles look far better on a grill with the durawood, IMO

Honestly I just dont like the grey plastic. It looks cheap and generic.

If they were trying to replicate wood, how about some different browns ?

Honestly I really like the look of the gray Durawood. Plus I like how easy it is to keep looking nice on a grill that gets "driven". Re, a second flip up table, IIRC one was offered as an option on them. So, IMO I don't think it would ruin it's originality. But, it's just my opinion. Honestly it's a really nice grill and seeing your past work I don't think ANYTHING you do for it will ruin that one bit.
Thank you very much! I really appreciate the support and I agree with everything you're saying here. I'm going to start this morning by cleaning it up and then see where I feel like going from there. For now I'm just going to clean it up and bring it back to original. I'll add in my RCplanebuyer flavorizer bars and #9930 grates.

Back