Green Genesis 1000LX Build

Wow! Josh that looks exactly like the green LX1000 Barb and I bought new in 1998 in Lake Forest CA. From an Ace hardware of all places. I also still have the original recipes and owner's manual. As you saw it's now a 2000.
Funny your wife loves it as mine loves ours.
Can't wait to see it with the new wood slates, might make me want to make a change, wife permitting of course.
Great find!
Thank you Rich! I like yours alot too. I need to find a nice NG 1000 or 2000 for my place in Arizona. Looks like you have a perfect covered area for all your grills. That would be nice also. I'll continue to share my progress here.

Thank you Rich! I like yours alot too. I need to find a nice NG 1000 or 2000 for my place in Arizona. Looks like you have a perfect covered area for all your grills. That would be nice also. I'll continue to share my progress here.

Only the Gen 2000 andE320 are on the covered patio.
The rest are on Weber Blvd. covered of course and the black performer and the WSM are gone replaced by the Camp Chef and the gen 2.

DSCN6155.JPG

Rebuilding a classic car is one thing, but when you find one in a barn with 68 miles on it, you don't do anything but dust it off and give it a wash and wax.
That makes sense. I can't argue with that. That said I might like to try some stuff that's easily changed back. Not because I'm trying to piss anybody off or ruin a classic. I've had this build envisioned in my head and now because I found an extra nice Grill I shouldn't do it. I appreciate your opinion and everybody elses on the matter. Personally I don't see that changing out the dura wood for real wood is ruining a classic but I understand not everybody will agree with that. If I found a classic barn find car I would also swap out the bias ply tires for new radials.

Thanks Bruce I appreciate you! I would be happy to share progress pictures.

Just make sure you share pictures also I like to see what everybody else is doing!

The fact that you are going to have more than ONE grill at any one time close by says you don't need a second flip up..... You need to check your OCD. Not every 1000 needs to be a 2000. Leave that beauty alone. Your enthusiasm is going to ruin a perfect 'stock' grill.

Someone HAS to say it......

The fact that you are going to have more than ONE grill at any one time close by says you don't need a second flip up..... You need to check your OCD. Not every 1000 needs to be a 2000. Leave that beauty alone. Your enthusiasm is going to ruin a perfect 'stock' grill.

Someone HAS to say it......
You know Jim I've read other posts that you've written in and seen people have to call you out for your attitude problem. You might want to take a step back and think before you type. You can buy your own Grill and do whatever you want with it. I promise if I don't agree with what you do im not going to tell you you're wrong.

I'm just saying --- there is no reason to adulterate a PRIME specimen only because 'you can and you want to'.
I thought you were all about 'making it original'.
You don't need to do one GD thing.

Josh, wow that is truly the barn find. Your grill is your life, but I would clean up and not do any painting or mods at all on that one.
Also after using my 2000 for 27 years 3x week, I can count the times on one hand, I even folded up the shelf during cooking for space. Mostly wow that is cool wood, the table lifts up but not for needing space

If you going to use this grill, I would seriously use the Durwood. Mine came with wood and have made 3 sets of replacements as they are not that durable if you are a messy cook like me. 1st set I used used composite decking and was way more indestructible, I assume like durawood since I never cooked on Weber version. None of the wood finishes like hot, or greasy things resting on them.

Yes, I could be a more careful cook, but I am old and not too trainable.
I purchased 2 sets for the current rebuild, these are the perfect size they cover the wood and Z-metals

With your attention to detail you probably take better care of your toys, and wood sure does look cool.
Just sharing my experiences of using/abusing this grill for decades from a tool vs a classic car that never leaves the garage.

Josh, wow that is truly the barn find. Your grill is your life, but I would clean up and not do any painting or mods at all on that one.
Also after using my 2000 for 27 years 3x week, I can count the times on one hand, I even folded up the shelf during cooking for space. Mostly wow that is cool wood, the table lifts up but not for needing space

If you going to use this grill, I would seriously use the Durwood. Mine came with wood and have made 3 sets of replacements as they are not that durable if you are a messy cook like me. 1st set I used used composite decking and was way more indestructible, I assume like durawood since I never cooked on Weber version. None of the wood finishes like hot, or greasy things resting on them.

Yes, I could be a more careful cook, but I am old and not too trainable.
I purchased 2 sets for the current rebuild, these are the perfect size they cover the wood and Z-metals

With your attention to detail you probably take better care of your toys, and wood sure does look cool.
Just sharing my experiences of using/abusing this grill for decades from a tool vs a classic car that never leaves the garage.
Thank you Mark! Also thank you for sharing. I can't wait to see your 2000 all finished. I bet it looks so very nice!!

After getting this grill home i have to say as excited as I am and have been to do some different types of custom wood on these old Webers this one looked damn good to me with the grey durawood in its original factory configuration. I see nothing wrong with it as is. I'm still going to use the wood I have ordered mounted in separate Z metal. I'll try it on there and decide if I want to keep it on there or not.

Those rubber mats you linked are genius. What a great way to protect the slats when in use. I'm also going to use a heavy duty marine grade boat varnish on my new wood slats. My wife had me order extra wood and wants me to make butcher block serving trays that match. I'll have to finish those with a food safe finish.

If you don't mind me asking how much was a full Set of Z metal from RCplanebuyer for your 2000? I know you went over the top with that build and you bought it new and used it all these years! So cool! I am really looking forward to seeing your finished product and hearing all about it!

I’m team Josh here. Bias ply for radials is an excellent analogy. If you’re going to drive your barn find, you also switch out a manual brake booster for a power booster. Make it appealing to you, best yet, make it comfortable for you!
Absolutely Cody!
Also I'm still waiting to see pictures of redhead of yours!

Yep, just do what you're going to do. It's your grill and your money.
I'm trying to decide what I want to do. I have a high level of respect for you as a person and for your knowledge that you have acquired over the years and thankfully share with me. This grill is so cool to me as is or with real wood. The look on my wife's face when she came out in the garage and saw it for the first time was priceless. This is her favorite color and I'm not just talking about green. We have a antique multi drawer cabinet and some other old hard wood furniture that we refished together and custom painted the exact same green. It's like a dark teal in person. I wasn't expecting that and I wasn't expecting my wife to love it immediately. We both agreed the grey durawood looked great with the green lid. She also got excited about coming out in the garage and working on the wood slats and butcher block serving trays together and thats very appealing to me if we can work on it together that's good for our marriage and we can both share and appreciate it together. I hope that you are not disappointed in the final outcome. I appreciate all your help and value your opinion.

Last edited:

Back