Green Genesis 1000LX Build

Well yeah, because you have managed to find yourself a " new" 27 year old grill. If that were mine I would just clean it up and put those new #9930 grates on it and call it done.
That's definitely tempting after getting it home and looking it over. I could always keep all this dura wood in its original z-metal and if I ever want to switch it back I can. I could try both and if I like it better with the original dura wood I could use the Sappy Walnut on another project.

That grill is a virtual time capsule. It would be almost sacrilege to do anything like that to it. I would save the wood for another project, but that's just me.

True but, if you have another set of z bars and the swing up table hardware, why not do what you want with it. The originals will still be there for you to say you have all the original pieces.

Its like a classic car. Some people want to keep them completely original and some resto mod them.

Up to you man.

True but, if you have another set of z bars and the swing up table hardware, why not do what you want with it. The originals will still be there for you to say you have all the original pieces.

Its like a classic car. Some people want to keep them completely original and some resto mod them.

Up to you man.
I like that idea.
If it was a special edition I would feel different I think.

I don't understand why you feel compelled to put another side table on it --- I've lived for many years with only the left side - always coveted a flip up - one is enough ---- why do you need two? Just because you 'can' isn't a good enough reason to change that beauty.

I don't understand why you feel compelled to put another side table on it --- I've lived for many years with only the left side - always coveted a flip up - one is enough ---- why do you need two? Just because you 'can' isn't a good enough reason to change that beauty.
Because symmetry is important to me. It's My OCD. Also I like to make things my own and put my own twist on it.

Incredible grill, Josh! I’m with you on the dual flip ups, It’s like a cockpit when you’re cooking! Incredible find! One thing I’d recommend is spraying some automotive grade cavity wax in the vertical portions of the legs. It does wonders for corrosion protection.

Reminds me of the beautiful redhead Genesis 2 I have on the back burner from 1989. I should pull it out and post the pics. It’s a time capsule similar to this one! I’d have paid $200 for that grill, too.

Incredible grill, Josh! I’m with you on the dual flip ups, It’s like a cockpit when you’re cooking! Incredible find! One thing I’d recommend is spraying some automotive grade cavity wax in the vertical portions of the legs. It does wonders for corrosion protection.

Reminds me of the beautiful redhead Genesis 2 I have on the back burner from 1989. I should pull it out and post the pics. It’s a time capsule similar to this one! I’d have paid $200 for that grill, too.
Ooh good call on spray wax inside the frame.

Post some pictures of your redhead I want to see!

I like to see what everybody else has going on. I also like to see what other people do with their builds.

Question:

What's your opinion on preserving the frame. Should I clean it and spray it with high temp clear or should I just put a couple coats of wax on it?

Question:

What's your opinion on preserving the frame. Should I clean it and spray it with high temp clear or should I just put a couple coats of wax on it?

I personally think that just a good cleaning on yours will be just fine. If you disassemble, I would use a wire brush and Por15 on the male ends of the joints (not directly adjacent to the cookbox). Those I would wire brush and use high temp paint, but mask off the outsides to avoid overspray. The finish applied by the factory is way better than anything we can put on from a can, again, my opinion. Clearly, this fine specimen hasn't been subject to much direct sunlight. I'm personally not a fan of automotive waxes. I have cars I painted 15+ years ago that have never been waxed, and still look great. That being said, there is a LOT of clear coat on them which gives much better UV protection. Every few years I encourage a good clay bar treatment, and a hand polish. But that is a different animal than what we have to recondition on these grills.

Wow! Josh that looks exactly like the green LX1000 Barb and I bought new in 1998 in Lake Forest CA. From an Ace hardware of all places. I also still have the original recipes and owner's manual. As you saw it's now a 2000 with an added right flip up shelf.
Funny your wife loves it as mine loves ours.
I kept the Dura wood because it's a well used grill and I didn't want to screw up some nice wood.
Can't wait to see it with the new wood slates, might make me want to make a change, wife permitting of course.
Great find!DSCN2765.JPG

Last edited:

Back