Grate-level rib rack?

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Today I'm smoking 2 racks of spares and knew I was going to have to use a rib rack, but it'd been so long since I last did so I forgot how lousy the typical racks are when it comes to keeping the ribs upright and separated. Is anyone aware of a grate-level rack that has taller loops and will fit an 18" WSM? Weber's rib rack measures 3-1/2" high but that's only 1/4" more than the ones I have, so I don't see any real benefit. Thanks!

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like @Jan M. used what is named "Ikea Variera Pot Lid Organizer" or something similar, here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PNJTBMG/?tag=tvwb-20. I have one that I bought for sous vide cooks. His cook is here, though he did baby backs: https://tvwbb.com/threads/babyback-ribs.91317/#post-1040695

If I ever see this in stock again I'm going to grab one to try: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MPY6SLL/?tag=tvwb-20

I intended to say something else but can't think of what it was right now :confused:

Oh yeah... I've never done this but have you seen where some folks roll their ribs and secure them with skewers? It seems like maybe one of the Rich's has done it, along with some others. But I don't know if they were spares.

I have a rack of St Louis cut ribs on my grill right now. But they are on a #9891 rotisserie. Not a very good photo though.

20220530_143659.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions!

I checked IKEA's website and the holder is listed as being 4" high, while the Amazon lid organizer is about 4.33". But the IKEA device appears to be adjustable, which would be handy for trying to keep the racks as upright as possible.

Of course, I could just stop inviting people over for dinner and then I would have to deal with only a single rack of ribs.;)

I just now measured my Ikea rack. it is actually only 3.5" high from the bottom plate. Also: it has nylon feet but they do screw off. It is close but still shy of 4" high if you include the feet.

Interesting, but it looks like the ring doesn't support ribs that are very tall. Also, I'm a bit concerned that the bottle of wine is quite passive while the chicken is in imminent danger...

Not a rib rack owner - so been forced to roll plenty of them over the years. It can be a bit clumsy during the pre-foil phase, but once in the foil I’ve been known to just stack them all up on the top grate.

I think I'm more interested in this thread than is Brad but if money is no object: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SQ364XF/?tag=tvwb-20

I'm not smart enough to comprehend why they make this claim, though: "Our unique tray design means you can rotisserie ribs, fish, steaks, burgers, pork loins, pork butts, nachos, desserts, veggies, appetizers and anything else you can imagine that will fit on the trays!". It moves food but doesn't spin it.

1655736395440.png

It is because the food doesn't "spin". It rotates.
Yah, I know. Sounds like a word game. The rod spins but the trays with the food simply rotate on the device.

It is because the food doesn't "spin". It rotates.
Yah, I know. Sounds like a word game. The rod spins but the trays with the food simply rotate on the device.
Like a Ferris wheel!
Ive become a convert to the “roll and skewer“ technique, it lets me do three racks pretty easily.

I use an extra rack on top for my ribs I get roughly three to four baby or three St. Louis with one cut up on lower rack

Attachments

• F3FF7CD3-0697-4BED-B72E-4DA12EDDDAC7.jpeg
    F3FF7CD3-0697-4BED-B72E-4DA12EDDDAC7.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 25
The best rib tool for the WSM 18 is a hanging kit -- Pit Barrell, Hunsaker, Gateway and others make them. Just way better imo than rolling or racking.

You can hang full length St. Louis ribs in the WSM 18, although the tips get kind of close to the fire. Full length baby backs fit just fine. My usual rib cook is a Costco 3-pack of St. Louis. So I hang six half racks, and still have lots of room to spare.

Second best, as Doug mentions above, is to rig up a third grate. If I want to wrap, I can cook a mix of full and half racks laying flat on three grates.

Doug, is that a 22" WSM? It looks a bit burly for an 18".

I like the idea. I'd have to orient the ribs perpendicularly, though, because I'd be obsessing that if they were parallel the lower ribs would block the smoke from the uppers.;)

Doug, is that a 22" WSM? It looks a bit burly for an 18".

I like the idea. I'd have to orient the ribs perpendicularly, though, because I'd be obsessing that if they were parallel the lower ribs would block the smoke from the uppers.;)
Nope a 2010 18”. just the way the thumb looks i think? If you open up the pic it looks normal sized

Back