Got some toys!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I'm a little spoiled, as Dave Santana's (RCPlanebuyer) shop is only 15 minutes away..... Dave made these up for me yesterday, and I picked them up today. These will go on the Genesis 1K project (or 2k/3k depending on right side shelf or burner config.) Pretty sure these will outlive me by a good bit!

1628711812695.jpeg

Getting ready to order some for a new grill I'm getting next Saturday (fingers crossed). I'll let Joe give the details. Unfortunately, Dave was off today when I called to insure that I'm ordering all the right stuff. Love, love, love his grates/flavorizers on my E310 from 2008.

Getting ready to order some for a new grill I'm getting next Saturday (fingers crossed). I'll let Joe give the details. Unfortunately, Dave was off today when I called to insure that I'm ordering all the right stuff. Love, love, love his grates/flavorizers on my E310 from 2008.
Yeah, he wasn't in the shop today. He makes incredibly nice stuff. I've got a set from 10 years ago that are still going strong!

Anyone notice something different about the grate in that picture? :)

R

Rich,

Looks like a custom "double" grate to go lengthwise. ????
Jon, close...... They are quarter grates to allow for some grill grate real estate when the rotisserie is in use. :)

I've got porcelain enameled cast iron grates that came with the freebie grill and are in perfect condition. I'll add a set of Dave's full grates when (not if) these chip! :)

R

Rich you are one lucky dude. I was wondering, since you're close to Dave's shop, if you could ask him if he could fabricate the drip tray pan (part no. Weber 40968012) for the the Genesis 1000-5000 series...? Replacements are really hard to come by now and if he could make one out of SS then that most likely would be the last pan we'd have to buy and call it good. It'll probably cost some $$$ but if the price is right then I believe some of us would be interested. I emailed him awhile back about it and he said he'd take a look into it but never got back to me.

Rich you are one lucky dude. I was wondering, since you're close to Dave's shop, if you could ask him if he could fabricate the drip tray pan (part no. Weber 40968012) for the the Genesis 1000-5000 series...? Replacements are really hard to come by now and if he could make one out of SS then that most likely would be the last pan we'd have to buy and call it good. It'll probably cost some $$$ but if the price is right then I believe some of us would be interested. I emailed him awhile back about it and he said he'd take a look into it but never got back to me.
Sam, I'm happy to ask him the next time we communicate for sure. I'm going to guess that the cost vs. quantity sold may be a killer on that one, but can't hurt to ask him! I'm thinking about some z brackets for my Skyline restoration that's up after the 1/2/3k, and can take him a drip pan to look at, too.

R

if he could fabricate the drip tray pan (part no. Weber 40968012) for the the Genesis 1000-5000 series...? Replacements are really hard to come by now and if he could make one out of SS then that most likely would be the last pan we'd have to buy and call it good.

Based on what I see of his fabbed stuff, I'd suspect that he's got a good cutting device (maybe a shear,) and a decent press brake.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong part (https://www.ebay.com/itm/361231747212,) it'd probably take him some time to fabricate one. The original part looks like it's made in a press as a single piece (probably a couple of strikes on different die sets.) If you're going to make this out of sheet, there are at least 3 sets of pieces (a flat plate for the bottom, and a pair for each set of sides,) and the hole at the bottom wouldn't be dressed as nice. Even with a good TIG and a jig setup, you're probably looking at an hour or more just in stitching time. :(

That sounds reasonable. I imagine Weber has a big press that they simply lay a sheet of steel in and it goes down and K-chunk it presses out a drip pan in a second. Then it goes to the coating room to be porcelain coated. That was back when they were making a hundreds a day. It probably cost a pretty penny to set up a dedicated machine to do that but after creating tens of thousands of them, they were probably pretty cheap per piece. It just isn't profitable to run the machine any more it is probably sitting in the back corner of some huge warehouse or factory.

I would be interested in what Dave says. I would be happy to send him an original, and I am sure others would. I bet we could get an initial order of a dozen or more that might bring the per unit price down to something realistic.

I would be interested in what Dave says. I would be happy to send him an original, and I am sure others would. I bet we could get an initial order of a dozen or more that might bring the per unit price down to something realistic.
Based on what I see of his fabbed stuff, I'd suspect that he's got a good cutting device (maybe a shear,) and a decent press brake.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong part (https://www.ebay.com/itm/361231747212,) it'd probably take him some time to fabricate one. The original part looks like it's made in a press as a single piece (probably a couple of strikes on different die sets.) If you're going to make this out of sheet, there are at least 3 sets of pieces (a flat plate for the bottom, and a pair for each set of sides,) and the hole at the bottom wouldn't be dressed as nice. Even with a good TIG and a jig setup, you're probably looking at an hour or more just in stitching time. :(
That sounds reasonable. I imagine Weber has a big press that they simply lay a sheet of steel in and it goes down and K-chunk it presses out a drip pan in a second. Then it goes to the coating room to be porcelain coated. That was back when they were making a hundreds a day. It probably cost a pretty penny to set up a dedicated machine to do that but after creating tens of thousands of them, they were probably pretty cheap per piece. It just isn't profitable to run the machine any more it is probably sitting in the back corner of some huge warehouse or factory.
Someone might have to send him one. Then he will have something to model after
Ok, folks, emailed back and forth with Dave on drip pans, and his take was what we all pretty much expected. It would be VERY expensive to make (time consuming), and, with relatively low volume, not likely to be an attractive item to prototype and produce. FWIW, he said he has a few pans, so doesn't need a donor, but my read was this wasn't something he was thinking would bubble to the top of the list anytime soon if ever.

R

You would have to find someone a lot hungrier than Dave and who could be convinced they could sell enough of them to get this off the ground. Right now, trades people worth their salt aren't hungry. So, unless we have a 2008 redux, I kind of doubt there is a way to make this happen.

I am just looking for a source that could custom make me one for a reasonable price. I am still working on my son. He is now a supervisor at a welding and fab shop so he might have access to the materials and machinery necessary to fab something up in his spare time. I really think trying to find a source to mass produce them is not a fiscal possibility.

Shoot, oh well....thanks Rich for going more depth into this and finally getting an answer. At least now we know. Bruce, hoping your son could come up with something.

Back