Got my Vieluxe, now what??

Jon you definitely know more about it than I do, I was just saying the grill was "too" well built, so that once everybody who wanted one and could afford it got one, then they didn't have any more customers. Then they either kept them and still have them (maybe) or "got rid of them" one way or another, often I bet throwing them out. Because the kind of budget you need to "pick up" a Vieluxe means that after a few years there's some other more fashionable option, and out with the old. I've seen it many times, I'll never understand it.

I will have to doublecheck the pile of parts all over my little shop, but I am pretty sure on the Summit they are held in with bolts. Maybe with some high-quality drill bits you can do that with this Vieluxe.
I thought about this too, but feel like there’s some unwritten code prohibiting drilling into the holy grill, like bad juju to polish a rare coin. Maybe I should learn to weld to preserve the heritage of the grill.

I thought about this too, but feel like there’s some unwritten code prohibiting drilling into the holy grill, like bad juju to polish a rare coin. Maybe I should learn to weld to preserve the heritage of the grill.
I don't think making a change like that diminishes the grill in any way, it might even improve it. After all, it is a failure point so changing it wouldn't be a sacrilege if it still looked and worked good.

If you can keep that grill running, that alone is an act of heroism. I admire your ambition. Don't think I'd have the energy to take it on. Not, at least, this side of retirement. It's all I can do to get my Genesi (yes, that's plural) up and running and restored to a high state of practical, working order.

I don't think making a change like that diminishes the grill in any way, it might even improve it. After all, it is a failure point so changing it wouldn't be a sacrilege if it still looked and worked good.
I’m going to punt on this fix for now. The remaining welds feel sturdy enough I hope. Taking a half day this afternoon to finish reassembling the grill. TODAY’s GOAL: do the initial burnoff tonight!!!!

That actually seems a little low. Just two of Dave Santana's grates (rcplanebuyer) weigh in at over 18 pounds.

I wouldn’t know where to begin to put a value on one of these unicorns even if it did cross my path. $100, $500, $1000? More? Put me on the “would love to have one list” too, though. It’s a beautiful piece.

Reactions: Loc

Back