Got my Vieluxe, now what??

That's interesting. At least in terms of getting hot quickly, it's not fast. My Platinum gets above 650 (Farenheit, which is 343 Celsius) in five minutes with all three burners full open. I've not noticed the bars glowing. But, in fairness, it can't do all sorts of things your Vieluxe can. No roti burner. Just one side burner, no doubt much smaller with less heat output. No capacity to feed an army. Nor the mystique of a unicorn.

The more mass and space you have to heat the slower it will be. However the Vieluxe will be FAR more stable as well.

Sure is a beautiful piece of industrial engineering. Industrial art even. Like many classic cars. Really all kinds of stuff. I have three old Pioneer plasma TVs that I haven't moved on from for that reason. Had a fourth and gave it to a friend when I finally broke down and bought a new TV for our bedroom. Newer OLEDs are far superior in picture quality, lighter, cheaper to operate and create way less heat. But these old monsters were made from metal and glass (as opposed to plastic and plastic). They were designed to last, though electronic components can and do fail. I've had to tweak voltages on the control panel, which meant learning to be a TV technician and obtaining a technician's remote control, to deal with problems that arose after years of use.

Yes it's normal and quite dependent on the camera as well. Same burner arrangement as a 1st gen Summit. Xover tubes at back, minus an IR burner. Beautiful cooker. I wish I had those side burners on my Wolf. Can only imagine what the original price would have been then since the head of it cost close to $10k new and the cart $3500.
Do you know the reasoning behind moving the crossover tubes toward the center of the burner tubes on the second generation Summit?

Sure is a beautiful piece of industrial engineering. Industrial art even. Like many classic cars. Really all kinds of stuff. I have three old Pioneer plasma TVs that I haven't moved on from for that reason. Had a fourth and gave it to a friend when I finally broke down and bought a new TV for our bedroom. Newer OLEDs are far superior in picture quality, lighter, cheaper to operate and create way less heat. But these old monsters were made from metal and glass (as opposed to plastic and plastic). They were designed to last, though electronic components can and do fail. I've had to tweak voltages on the control panel, which meant learning to be a TV technician and obtaining a technician's remote control, to deal with problems that arose after years of use.
Roy,
I still have and use daily my 3 Panasonic Plasmas. I have 2 50" and 1 60" VT model.

I had to repair one of the mother boards on one of them as I was getting the "blinks of death" but they are all still going strong to this day.

My Friend still is using his Pioneer Plasma as well.
Never could understand the love for LED TVs...overblown colors with washed out blacks.

When my Plasma finally dies I will shop for a LG OLED.

Jeff

I have a Panasonic 50" Plasma as well. By far the best TV in my house and I have two LED's larger than that and a couple smaller.

Roy,
I still have and use daily my 3 Panasonic Plasmas. I have 2 50" and 1 60" VT model.

I had to repair one of the mother boards on one of them as I was getting the "blinks of death" but they are all still going strong to this day.

My Friend still is using his Pioneer Plasma as well.
Never could understand the love for LED TVs...overblown colors with washed out blacks.

When my Plasma finally dies I will shop for a LG OLED.

Jeff
You and I are on the same page, Jeff. I finally broke down and bought a Sony A8G, which is wonderful for watching movies and everything else. The VT is a great TV. I have 9th generation Kuros. A PDP-141FD, a KRP-500M and a PDP-5020FD. Gave a PDP-6020 to a friend. You're the one guys who gets what those are and how awesome they once were.

I have a Panasonic 50" Plasma as well. By far the best TV in my house and I have two LED's larger than that and a couple smaller.
Which model do you have, Bruce. ZT, VT, ST or S? They were all solid TVs. The ZT and VT were legendary, like two of the four Kuros I've posted above. There was (and probably still is) endless debate over which is the best plasma ever. Some folks say the ZT/VT, which I'll lump together because they're very similar. Others say the 500M or the 141FD. A few cite an old Samsung, but only because it was the brightest. What they used to measure was black levels. How black is your black? Some models could be tweaked to incredibly low settings. My 500M as an example. That's why people like me got into tweaking voltages.

The ZT/VT was probably darkest ever out of the box but wasn't really tweakable. The 500M and the other Kuros are fairly easy to play with. One gets into the service panel and pretends to be an electrical engineer. One has to be careful because a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and it's easy to screw everything up. A huge and all-consuming rabbit hole.

OLED has destroyed that debate because they go to absolute black. In the beginning, OLEDs had other problems so a lot of folks felt that plasmas were still better overall. But as that technology matured, eventually pretty much everyone got on board with the notion that OLED is superior. There are still a few geeks who argue in favor of the very best of the plasma. I'm not among them (in case you can't tell from my tone).

There are future technologies coming along that will surpass OLED technology eventually. It's just not clear when.

Wow, a bunch of old guys, with old Weber grills and old Panasonic plasma screens. Who'd of thunk it :D

I'm in the club too. I've got a Panasonic TH-50PX600U and bought it new in 2006. For the past few years I've looked at the new OLED's and thought about getting one and decided I'll just wait one more year. So much for "plasma burn in" ...

I picked up a backup panasonic plasma for free a couple of summers ago and it's hanging out in the garage just in case this one dies at a bad time.

Wow, a bunch of old guys, with old Weber grills and old Panasonic plasma screens. Who'd of thunk it :D

I'm in the club too. I've got a Panasonic TH-50PX600U and bought it new in 2006. For the past few years I've looked at the new OLED's and thought about getting one and decided I'll just wait one more year. So much for "plasma burn in" ...

I picked up a backup panasonic plasma for free a couple of summers ago and it's hanging out in the garage just in case this one dies at a bad time.
If you're happy with what you've got, there's no reason to "upgrade". I personally think OLED really is an upgrade but I still love watching my plasmas. If they were side by side with the OLED, I'd notice the difference but they're still really nice.

If you're happy with what you've got, there's no reason to "upgrade". I personally think OLED really is an upgrade but I still love watching my plasmas. If they were side by side with the OLED, I'd notice the difference but they're still really nice.
I can think of about $1800 reasons not to upgrade ;)

I can think of about $1800 reasons not to upgrade ;)
They keep coming down in price. This year there were OLED deals on Black Monday (for the first time if one doesn't include the Vizio, which is ****). Could have gotten a 55 inch for about $1,000. More for the larger ones. Still, that's a thousand reasons to do nothing.

The Vieluxe was hand built by a company in Wisconsin (I think). Weber lost their *** on this one. It was one of those 'things we don't talk about".They scrapped a lot of them for parts. They thought they could compete with the Vikings, and other high end grills. Full disclosure: I worked at Weber for almost 26 years. I have the "inside poop" on a lot of what went on there between 1994 and 2019.

The Vieluxe was hand built by a company in Wisconsin (I think). Weber lost their *** on this one. It was one of those 'things we don't talk about".They scrapped a lot of them for parts. They thought they could compete with the Vikings, and other high end grills. Full disclosure: I worked at Weber for almost 26 years. I have the "inside poop" on a lot of what went on there between 1994 and 2019.
Would love to hear more.

Hey, that's awesome. You must know my buddy Steve B that worked there during the same time period in QC

Back