Got my Vieluxe, now what??

Those are the red ones on our stove, I put a black one nearby just to show it. I like the red ones a lot and that color would really pop with those casters. Larry what do the knobs on your Wolf grill look like? Actually I’d love to see a picture of that legendary grill.

Thank you mr Hyde. You and I are both in the crazy camp then, I’ve thought about coloring knobs too. So many dials, twisting turning, like a DJ booth.

The NS setup is new to me. The 6 burners are paired. I think Summits are configured like this (Summit owners can you confirm?). The left burner of each pair must be lit first before lighting the right burner. Knobs are labeled “Left” and “Right” but hard to tell them apart:

View attachment 44854

Also, it’s hard to differentiate between off (12 o’clock) and low (6 o’clock). Knobs have ridges on one end to indicate which is the business end. However, the ridges are on the sides so hard to see looking down. My Genesis has a nub on top of knob, easier for me to tell which way is up:
View attachment 44855

Lastly, owner’s manual (page 1) depicts knobs of different sizes, like new Summits. Easier to glance and distinguish I think. But every Vieluxe picture I’ve seen has same-sized knobs:
View attachment 44856

I’m being knit picky about knobs, but with burning food, dusk lighting, hangry guests and a panel of identical dials, I foresee getting frazzled.
Summits have a tube between the burners in the center of the burners, unfortunately. It makes the flavorizer bars unique and very pricey.

Attachments

• 9DA7959E-A403-4B77-834A-0C02958CFA49.jpeg
    9DA7959E-A403-4B77-834A-0C02958CFA49.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 8
  • E06C36DC-4109-485E-BB31-005734DE2082.jpeg
    E06C36DC-4109-485E-BB31-005734DE2082.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Loc
Those Wolf knobs on the stove weigh a lot too, they have high density and some metal parts inside to make them heavy duty. I'm not suggesting those exact knobs for the Vieluxe because they probably cost like fifty dollars each or something. Hold on ... google how much are those knobs?

Answer: about 20 to 50 apiece, there are a lot of choices.

Still, putting some high quality knobs on that Vieluxe sure wouldn't hurt it, and I was just suggesting red because we have those, and they would go great with those cool red casters!

Yikes, I’ll just buy 1 red knob and rotate it around as I grill. Should have thought about this strategy with the casters…

Haha, I don't even know whether they would work. I tried putting on on the Genesis 2000 and the shaft is not long enough. It fits, but it's too short to be able to use it.

Interestingly though, you can look around and find some deals on them. They have some that are all metal construction. Ours have a metal core then high density plastic outside. I still wonder what the knobs on Larry's grill look like, I looked at some Wolf grill pictures too and the knobs look very similar, and Vieluxe level. Interesting to think about is all!

Reactions: Loc
Summits have a tube between the burners in the center of the burners, unfortunately. It makes the flavorizer bars unique and very pricey.
The first generation Summit also has paired burners with 2 igniters for the 4-burner and 3 for the 6 burner version. On the first generation the cross-over burners were all the way in the back, much like how on a Genesis they are all the way to the left.

Haha, I don't even know whether they would work. I tried putting on on the Genesis 2000 and the shaft is not long enough. It fits, but it's too short to be able to use it.

Interestingly though, you can look around and find some deals on them. They have some that are all metal construction. Ours have a metal core then high density plastic outside. I still wonder what the knobs on Larry's grill look like, I looked at some Wolf grill pictures too and the knobs look very similar, and Vieluxe level. Interesting to think about is all!
Only one way to find out. You or Larry send me your knobs 🤪

My Wolf has a little hodge podge sadly. When I got it IIRC 2 knobs were missing. So I only have a partial set of knobs. They're also badly faded and now more of a reddish brown than actually red. They're ridiculously expensive as well at something like $35 EACH! So I have made do with a mix of generic chrome universal and old shabby Wolf. :(
The original Summit as Jon mentioned does not use special flavorizers. Weber was good enough to put the Xover tubes way in the back. I don't know why they did such a dumb thing on the later Summit

My Wolf has a little hodge podge sadly. When I got it IIRC 2 knobs were missing. So I only have a partial set of knobs. They're also badly faded and now more of a reddish brown than actually red. They're ridiculously expensive as well at something like $35 EACH! So I have made do with a mix of generic chrome universal and old shabby Wolf. :(
The original Summit as Jon mentioned does not use special flavorizers. Weber was good enough to put the Xover tubes way in the back. I don't know why they did such a dumb thing on the later Summit
Why, indeed?

Do you cover it?

Also, are the knobs metal, or metal with a plastic covering like the ones on our range?

I'm just curious. Would love to see a picture of that beast, and this is all towards Loc putting some red knobs on a Vieluxe to match his sweet red casters!

Why the crossover tubes in the Center… lol
I think maybe because they thought the special flavorizer bars would protect the crossovers whereas the older first generation didn’t have any protection for them. Had they connected the flavorizers at the back instead of the center they would have been more apt to break.

Worrying about replacement costs was not a priority on the Summit line.

I think maybe because they thought the special flavorizer bars would protect the crossovers whereas the older first generation didn’t have any protection for them. Had they connected the flavorizers at the back instead of the center they would have been more apt to break.

Worrying about replacement costs was not a priority on the Summit line.
I think you are correct Jon. The first generation summits I have seen, with the unprotected crossover tubes at the rear of the cookbox, the crossover tubes are usually rotted out, and have to be replaced. I assume Weber felt that placing them right at the back would avoid most of the fat/gunk/marinade falling on them, but it must have not worked in practice.

So the second generation Summits have a protective flavorizer bar, a 'weldment', joining the main North/South flavorizer bars, which as you point out, had they left the crossovers at the back of the cookbox, the weldment would have been under more stress when you moved the bar units.
Hence the crossovers in the centre of the bars.

An interesting aside is that the 'weldment' flavorizer sections for the 4 burner and the 6 burner are quite different. The 4 burners bars are more substantial, taller. The spacing between the burners is different, the 6 burner are closer together- a 4 burner weldment does not fit on a 6 burner etc. Also the spacing of the top of the flavorizer bars to the grill looks different.

With the third (current) Summits Weber has done away with the crossover tubes (and thus the need for a complicated/expensive weldment), by having a 'snap-jet' igniter on each burner, sheltered by the front control panel, from the fat/gunk/marinades.

Do you cover it?

Also, are the knobs metal, or metal with a plastic covering like the ones on our range?

I'm just curious. Would love to see a picture of that beast, and this is all towards Loc putting some red knobs on a Vieluxe to match his sweet red casters!
No metal in them. I do keep it covered though only because it's not designed well to resist rainfall. So if it's outside in rain the grease tray fills and overflows. The oils and grease float on top of the water and guess what I have...........................Yep, a slimy mess on my deck. I don't want that on my new(er) deck. So it hides under a cover most of the time. The PO did not do anything to maintain it. No cover, it was sitting outside on a patio in Glenview IL when I found it. I had to bring it home in pieces as I only had a an older Saturn Vue. So I got it from Glenview to my dad's in his mini van, broke it down and managed to get it home in that little Vue. Took 2 trips from Arlington Heights to Cherry Valley but I did it

No metal in them. I do keep it covered though only because it's not designed well to resist rainfall. So if it's outside in rain the grease tray fills and overflows. The oils and grease float on top of the water and guess what I have...........................Yep, a slimy mess on my deck. I don't want that on my new(er) deck. So it hides under a cover most of the time. The PO did not do anything to maintain it. No cover, it was sitting outside on a patio in Glenview IL when I found it. I had to bring it home in pieces as I only had a an older Saturn Vue. So I got it from Glenview to my dad's in his mini van, broke it down and managed to get it home in that little Vue. Took 2 trips from Arlington Heights to Cherry Valley but I did it
I get it, I'll bet it was worth it. Especially after you got a chance to bring it back to its prime, much like the present Vieluxe example we are watching now! Some of the Wolf grills I've seen on google look like they have those same heavy duty knobs like our stove does, but there are a surprising number of different style Wolf knobs for different Wolf appliances.

What model is that Wolf grill?

Back