Gordon Ruins a Brisket?

Maybe Gordon needs to "BBQ" with Bobby Flay. Have Gordon do the meat prep while Bobby does the WSM prep.... ;)

Last edited:
This sort've reminds me of an interview Daniel Vaughan did with Joe Davidson, he's the Oklahoma Joe. Vaughn asked him about Texas brisket, and Joe said it was very good .. " but it could be so much more " . But Joe was a comp guy with a restaurant in Kansas City, so consider the source. Central Texas brisket is so good, it would be hard for me to deviate from the tried and true.

Quite a few years ago (10 maybe) we were celebrating an anniversary at a terrific fancy-schmantzy French restaurant and one of the specials was a braised brisket, so I had to try it. It was incredible. But what made it incredible was that it was smoked for 6 hours and then braised for 2. I spoke to the chef afterward and he gave me the timings. I never tried it at home, but since reading this thread, I may have to pull out my notes and give it a go. It should get the French braise treatment, with some cognac and a nice burgundy among the vegetables. I can still remember the taste. Just wow.

Jeff

Quite a few years ago (10 maybe) we were celebrating an anniversary at a terrific fancy-schmantzy French restaurant and one of the specials was a braised brisket, so I had to try it. It was incredible. But what made it incredible was that it was smoked for 6 hours and then braised for 2. I spoke to the chef afterward and he gave me the timings. I never tried it at home, but since reading this thread, I may have to pull out my notes and give it a go. It should get the French braise treatment, with some cognac and a nice burgundy among the vegetables. I can still remember the taste. Just wow.

Jeff
I've done some CabSauv in the brisket cook when oven baking in a sealed pan. It added some serious depth without overwhelming the beef flavor. Think Bordelaise sauce on beef tips but without the thickening agents and excess butter.

I have braised short ribs with a red wine and used tomato paste as a thickening ingredient.
This was pretty good stuff.
Big win with my guests.
Generally as a marinade I am not a fan but I am sure there is lots to try still.

Jeff
I like the concept!

Back