Gordon Ruins a Brisket?

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
So, I'm kind of a Gordon Ramsay fan. I don't know everything about him, but he does have a personality and does make some interesting food. But this brisket recipe makes me cringe a bit - I couldn't even watch the whole thing. Would you ever do this to a brisket??

He’s made a pot roast. I’ve done something very similar for years. You can make an incredibly tender brisket pot roast in this method. It’s quite good. And there’s a whole lot of gravy too. Goes well with potatoes, or egg noodles or buckwheat.

NY Delis sell brisket sandwiches. It’s basically a steamed brisket that’s been sliced thinly. Think pastrami or corned beef without the pickling. It’s really good with spicy deli mustard on rye bread.

Attachments

• 118F21E2-6530-4FFF-BBCF-551D3F568A3A.jpeg
    118F21E2-6530-4FFF-BBCF-551D3F568A3A.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 1B56138D-22ED-4688-9B97-157ECAE063A4.jpeg
    1B56138D-22ED-4688-9B97-157ECAE063A4.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I wouldn't call it the perfect way to make brisket, but I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with the approach. Brisket is a perfect cut to braise the way he has. The spice rub seemed fine, nothing wrong with the onions, beer is a classic ingredient in a beef braise. Given that this is probably four hours start to finish, I can see doing this in the winter when I don't want to shovel snow to get to the smoker.

I'd only ever seen Ramsey on the cooking competition shows and the restaurant shows where he's a right a**. Then I saw a video online of him showing some cooking students how to prepare some salmon dish. It was like a totally different person. He was soft-spoken, caring, a really good teacher. He went into great detail about his technique for everything, even down to the proper way to slice the fish. Made me think taking a cooking class from him would be a lot of fun. Previously I wouldn't have even had a beer with the guy if you paid me.

I get that the OP is from the perspective of an experienced and hardcore charcoal smoker, but I’m ok with this. One thing I’ve learned about outdoor cooking is that sometimes it doesn’t want to cooperate. When variables like outside temperature, humidity and wind affect the cook, I can get frustrated. Nevermind how the most important variable, the charcoal itself, can act up. Of all outdoor cooking methods I’ve used, charcoal is the toughest to adjust once its going. Seeing different approaches can be useful if I need to improvise, which happens more than I‘d like to admit:)

Sage words from guys who are bbq guys and cooks. My comments were sort of tongue in cheek. I have had braised / pot roast style brisket a few times and it can be quite good.

I also think Gordon probably has a "stage" personality that he uses during competition shows, I'd like to think the other personality when he's showing his kids how to cook is more like his real personality, but then again, I don't put any celebrity on a pedestal.

So, I'm kind of a Gordon Ramsay fan. I don't know everything about him, but he does have a personality and does make some interesting food. But this brisket recipe makes me cringe a bit - I couldn't even watch the whole thing. Would you ever do this to a brisket??

My mom used to cook brisket in the oven like this minus the BBQ flavors, more just garlic, onions, salt and pepper. I haven't tried this but would be tempted to try this in the winter if brisket prices come down. The sweet potatoes looked good, not shore about coleslaw with yogurt. His daughter added a nice family touch. Super nice kitchen.

While I wouldn't call that "American BBQ Brisket" as he did, it does look delicious. I'd totally give it a go - especially on a bad weather day. Maybe we should call it "Rainy Day Brisket".

Making a Texas usa brisket this week.
But my aunt has a recipe for brisket that includes a bit of tomato, and a lot of braising. It is the best tasting brisket around.
Trying but it is hard to beat.
Some recipes do two cooks pn separate days. Or braise twice same day hours apart.
Help

Last edited:
Sage words from guys who are bbq guys and cooks. My comments were sort of tongue in cheek. I have had braised / pot roast style brisket a few times and it can be quite good.

I also think Gordon probably has a "stage" personality that he uses during competition shows, I'd like to think the other personality when he's showing his kids how to cook is more like his real personality, but then again, I don't put any celebrity on a pedestal.
I get it.

I agree, he is brutal on his shows. But in all fairness, he still made her cry;)

Sorry guys, that is a perfectly valid method. One I have done in the past, it is a completely different animal, that’s a braised onion swaddled piece of heaven. No, not a bit like the products so oft discussed here, not by a jug full! It’s still really good.
Ramsey is a prancing prick, suitable for scullery. Personality of an Asp, I would venture the touch of a sex starved Cobra. May he end his shows in his Fry-O-Lator!
No, I don’t give a cold bottle of P——— for the tosser!
End rant.

If you want to see Ramsey get roasted pretty good, check out the "Uncle Roger" videos on YouTube. Uncle Roger is a character done by comedian Nigel Ng. He has a whole series of reaction videos to other people's cooking videos. Unlike most of the other reaction videos on YouTube, Nigel's are very funny. He's rips Jamie Oliver a new one in several videos. He has at least two Gordon Ramsey reaction videos, in one he's fairly critical but is relatively supportive in the other.

If you want to see Ramsey get roasted pretty good, check out the "Uncle Roger" videos on YouTube. Uncle Roger is a character done by comedian Nigel Ng. He has a whole series of reaction videos to other people's cooking videos. Unlike most of the other reaction videos on YouTube, Nigel's are very funny. He's rips Jamie Oliver a new one in several videos. He has at least two Gordon Ramsey reaction videos, in one he's fairly critical but is relatively supportive in the other.
Also, watch him on ‘Hot Ones’, also on YouTube, where he is interviewed while eating hot wings that only get hotter. 🥵Worth it🤪

Last edited:
Thank you John, I enjoyed watching that video very much. Not only did all the food look delicious, but it was a different side of Gordon Ramsay that I haven't seen before. I was glad to find out he did not make his daughter cry, it was the onions she sliced. lol

Off to see if I can find the recipes for everything he made.

Also, watch him on ‘Hot Ones’, also on YouTube, where he is interviewed while eating hot wings that only get hotter. 🥵Worth it🤪
This....
It is a must watch, he doesn’t like really hot food, and it’s a funny watch. He eats foods he hates in the process because he thinks it helps reduce the heat.
The inns at the end of hot ones are ludicrous.
It’s a good run of actors, I enjoy more of these episodes than I should.

This....
It is a must watch, he doesn’t like really hot food, and it’s a funny watch. He eats foods he hates in the process because he thinks it helps reduce the heat.
The inns at the end of hot ones are ludicrous.
It’s a good run of actors, I enjoy more of these episodes than I should.

Epic! Anyone who eats heat knows and has suffered, the ring of fire.

Back