Going Whole Hog

Nick_U

TVWBB Pro
Been planning this for a while. I got inspired to make a cinder block pit and cook a whole hog. Picked up some blocks from HD and cleared some space in the back yard. My dad came over to help out.
photo_zpse5cbb095.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

The Hog Mahal is up and ready.
photo_zpsaf01866e.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Purchased a heritage bred hog from a local pig farmer. This oinker went 62lbs. began prepping it with my dad on friday.
photo_zpsc92ce8f4.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

My dad cutting out the spare ribs. We removed the spares to expose the bellies so that we could rub them down and get some bark on them. Also it allowed for us to have a two racks of spare ribs to eat.
photo_zps105ca242.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

pulling out the spares.
photo_zps380af03b.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Took off the head.
photo_zpseba98d46.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Adding rub to the hog.
photo_zps6515e1fa.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

EARLY Saturday morning I foiled the bottom of the pit and added foil tray for the coals. I was worried about the fat creating a fire so I wanted to separate the coals.
photo_zps90c1dbad.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Hog coming out the cooler.
photo_zps976c1036.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Resting in the Hog Mahal.
photo_zps325c0697.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

It was a great smell. Apple wood smoke wafting through the air. It put out quite a bit of smoke. I am sure my neighbors were loving me filling the neighborhood with smoke at 7am. After about 10 minutes of cooking off in the distance we heard a fire truck. Started to grow nervous as it came closer and closer to the house. Luckily it passed us and we were off and cooking.

Great picture of the smoke in the air.
photo_zps3c4a6b4c.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

After five hours it looked like this.
photo_zps4bb32c72.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Temps ran around 250 for 9 hours. Pork was pull apart tender. My sister, dad, and bro in law picking at the pig.
photo_zpsb8a8c9e2.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Me and my dad with the pig off the grill pulling all the meat off and chopping it.
IMG_0476_zpsfda33b20.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Final pic:
IMG_7430_zpsc7c26cbf.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

I did not take any plated pics as we were enjoying great food and many cold beverages. The pork came out fantastic. Moist, tender and delicious. Had many sides, to go with the pork and it was enjoyed by family and friends. I made a east carolina vinegar based sauce and a sweet chili pepper sauce. Had a lot of fun cooking the whole hog and definitely want to make it a yearly event at my house.

Thanks for looking.

That looks fantastic, Nick. Great job. Seems like it was pretty manageable too. I'd love to try it someday.

Thanks everyone. The grate is expanded metal that I bought at a metal supply store. I covered the grill with another piece of metal I had. It held pretty well at 250-275. I used a probe thermometer to keep an eye on the temps.

That is awesome! I've got the room in back yard for that, some day, when I'm a bbq jedi, I'll have to try that out. Think I'll stick to the butt, ribs, chicken etc. For now.

It's good you have your Dad to this kind of stuff with, very cool. The Pig looks fantastic. Congrats Nick, well done

Those are great times Nick. Excellent photos and description. I'd love to try something like that too. Really great post Nick.

Now that is something you do not see everyday on this site. You are a brave man. Good job! I saw that pit built on TV....Man vs Fire show....well executed!

Great looking pit and cook, man that would feed an army of people, how may people were you feeding?

Your Pops also looked like he had fun helping you out.

Back