Getting ready to give up on my WSM 18.5"

Mark-S

I've had my WSM 18.5" for several years. I don't smoke very often - maybe 2-3x month. Last year I purchased a Thermoworks Smoke X2 and a Billows for better stability during overnight smokes. The last smoke I did was a brisket, which is what finally pushed me over the edge about thinking of getting a different smoker. Here are my issues:

#1 - Extremely long cook times
I'm constantly struggling with what I feel are ridiculously long cook times. The brisket I mentioned above was smoked at 225. After 12 hours and being at the stall at 170 degrees, I wrapped it in some pink butcher paper. After 22 hours, it still wasn't done (it was at 188 degrees). I finally caved in and finished it in the oven at 270.

These long cook times are pretty consistent. I usually smoke everything at 225. My typical cooks times look like this:
  • Brisket: 20+ hours
  • Baby back ribs: 6+ hours
  • Pork butt: 18 hours
I have the Thermoworks ambient temp probe sitting within one-inch of the food, and I've measure it against other probes to ensure its accurate. I just don't understand why it is taking so long to smoke anything. I understand 225 is pretty low, but these times just seem way off.

#2 - The lid is almost impossible to remove during cooks

Anytime I smoke, I'm having to use a screwdriver to pry the lid off my smoker. The rim around the body that the lid sits on is now bent in various spots as a result. I've tried cleaning the gunk off the lid, but it is really caked on, even when warmed up. Just dealing with the lid has made me hate using the smoker. How do you deal with this?

Thanks.

If excessive cook times are your only aversion to using a WSM (aside from your lid issue) how do you feel about starting to use a higher pit temp, say at [a verified] 275f?

Welcome here and good luck.

As far as the lid sticking --- I've been running into that too..... it means its time to CLEAN it! (I've got to clean mine....)
Get a bucket of (warm or better HOT) soapy water and pour some over the top so it fill the lip and spin the lid - repeatedly ---- you will be amazed at how much crud comes off.... easily.
Its most likely due to the long low temp cooks.

Last edited:
The only thing magic of 225 is it takes longer!
I just don’t get the mythical feelings about 225!
As far as the lid sticking --- I've been running into that too..... it means its time to CLEAN it! (I've got to clean mine....)
Get a bucket of (warm or better HOT) soapy water and pour some over the top so it fill the lip and spin the lid - repeatedly ---- you will be amazed at how much crud comes off.... easily.
Its most likely due to the long low temp cooks.
Yeah, just clean it once in a while.
I just pulled my smoker out and the winter had done a lot of the heavy lifting, I gave the lid a light scrape and all of last years “glaze” just flaked right out, then a quick scrape of the midsection all nice and clean. Then a quick swipe of the inside of the lip on the middle, I set for a “cool weather” smoke tomorrow morning.
Given the temperature overnight (33) I’m not touching it off until about 06:00! When I normally get up. Butt is rubbed, smoker is all set up and wearing its overcoat with a rain slicker (tarp) just in case.

Mark, how much wind are you dealing with? And why do you feel that 225 is superior?
How big was the brisket? I’ve had 18# briskets take that long, I’ve never had butts take that long but, I do not chase the 225 temp. I also do not use any kind of ATC unit, I’m pretty much a KISS cooker, “Keep It Simple, Stupid” pit thermometer, meat probe remote monitor.
You smoke 2-3 a month and after years you’re only now, seeking advice? You must be as hard headed as I am!😉

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to trying higher temps, but I'm still wondering why 225 is taking so long. Is this how long it takes your meats to cook at that temp?

Yeah, I've been dealing with this for years, primarily because I assumed it was normal. Now after talking to friends who recently got a smoker and their smoke times, plus my most recent smokes taking ridiculously long times, I've grown impatient.

I'll try Jim's recommendation to get the lid moving more freely.

My first thought, thermometer is off. Nope. Okay, 225 can take along time, especially as the temps get closer.
Try 285. That may be the lowest temp with less stall.

225 is waaaaay too low for brisket. Admittedly, I'm biased, because I only do them hot and fast now, (avg temp 360), but even before I discovered the joys of hot and fast briskets, I'd cook them at an avg temp of 250.

I'm not opposed to trying higher temps, but I'm still wondering why 225 is taking so long. Is this how long it takes your meats to cook at that temp?
Brisky and Butts usually take 1.5-2hrs per # running @ 225.
If your brisket was over 10# and the butt was 8-9# that seems about right.
With a ATC ( Billows ) you're not using water in the pan, right?

I'll try Jim's recommendation to get the lid moving more freely.
I would bet your lid vent is all gummed up too --- be sure to soap that up well too and spin it to work the grease out of it. Mine became so stuck (when cold) that I had to really reef on it to get it to move and I ended up snapping the little tab off it.... dammit.

I did a BIG ~20# turkey about two weeks ago on my 18 ---- the grease on the lid lip was TERRIBLE - it was sticking badly at first, and then it got to the point where it actually formed a 'web' of grease ~4"+ between the barrel and the lid every time I lifted it..... gross. I'm waiting for a nice warm sunny day to give it a good cleaning.

Gratuitous turkey shot from the last cook..... plum crazy turkey!
20240217_163441.jpg

Last edited:
I’m big on overnight cooks, for brisket especially, I put them on at seven or so and when the blessed thing reaches 200 or so, and wiggles like jelly, off it comes and into foil, towels and a cooler until we decide it’s time to slice, two hour minimum! I’m six hours into a 7.5# butt, WSM rolling along at about 265 and the butt reads 170. Just about time for a nice stall. Had I started later, I’d be ready for a beer as it is, I’ll have coffee.

In the oven at your home, how close is its temperature sensor to whatever you are cooking in the oven ?
So why do you place the Thermoworks pit probe soo close ("less than 1 inch") to the cold meat ?

Butt came off at 14:00 and it looks grand, 265* adjusted vents twice, pretty mild breeze through the whole cook, now the baked beans are enjoying the last of the WSM heat along with a lovely Mettwurst!! Smoked little sausages, Jarlsberg dip, Jacobs cream crackers, smoked brisket dip, tortilla chips, maple ginger roast carrots, toasted grit cakes, I’m skipping dessert. Just made fresh old fashioned “Mom’s white bread”, the house smells wonderful!
Dinner should be 6:30-7:00 (18:30-19:00)

I will always be a low and slow temp guy especially on the tough cuts like brisket. I like to get as much smoke profile as I can and hot and fast just doesn't get what I like. I cook at 225 250 max for most of the cook. I might take it up to 265 to end the cook when its close to done. Pork ribs no way do I cook over 250 and most time 225 is what I do for thin cuts. That's just my cup of tea.

I will always be a low and slow temp guy especially on the tough cuts like brisket. I like to get as much smoke profile as I can and hot and fast just doesn't get what I like. I cook at 225 250 max for most of the cook. I might take it up to 265 to end the cook when its close to done. Pork ribs no way do I cook over 250 and most time 225 is what I do for thin cuts. That's just my cup of tea.

Do your times line up with Mark-S'?

I have the Thermoworks ambient temp probe sitting within one-inch of the food
To me, this is the folly of trying to measure temp at the cooking surface. The meat can influence the temperature reading and mislead you as to actual cooker temperature. Measure at the lid, not 1" from the meat.

As for operating temperature, when I first started using the WSM in 1997 I was lulled into the old "225-250*F" approach and found that my big cuts of meat took forever to cook. We see those temps or even lower ones mentioned on barbecue television shows and think they must also apply to our little WSM that doesn't have as much airflow as a giant converted propane tank stickburner where they sometimes run these lower temps.

It was not until I started running the WSM at 275*F that I licked this problem, thanks to advice from our good friend Harry Soo of Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ, who used the WSM in competition to win many awards. I never looked back after that. For low & slow, I target 275*F. For hotter cooks like chicken or turkey, it's 325-350*F.

As for the lid sticking, in my experience it all has to do with cooking really fatty cuts of meat and that stuff accumulating on the edge of the lid and the flat portion of the middle cooking section. If you remember to wipe those surfaces with a paper towel after a cook AND wedge a little something under the edge of the lid to keep it from touching the middle section as that gunk dries and glues the two sections together, you should be OK. And a good occasional cleaning doesn't hurt, either.

Why does the lid sometimes stick to the middle cooking section?

Good luck, Mark-S!

Last edited:
Do your times line up with Mark-S'?
I have 22s and I also cook a lot at a time, but yes 4 to 6 hours for ribs. I spritz, but don't rap. I always use water as well. I just like it better that way. I'll cook 6 flat or up to 12 in rib racks or 3 flat with a side on bottom grate. If I cook pork shoulder I cook a case at a time and it takes around 20 hours +. Brisket depends on size 9 to 16 hours.

I need to add there's probably no right or wrong way. Everyone has a different approach. Just use the one you like and feel comfortable with. Myron Mixon uses lighter fluid and doesn't trim brisket. 2 things I would never do, but he sure had no issues winning. I also don't like gravity fed smokers, but they work for others. Some like to use water others don't. Some fat up some fat down. Some spritz others don't. All ways have won in comps. Harry Soo was brought up and he actually cooks at different temps and if you take his information from over the years he has changed his approach like many others have. For instance I have a brisket recipe and procedure of how he approaches it. He starts out at 200 increasing to 250 then 300 and finishing back at 250. Ribs he cooks at 275 butts at 250. I have others where he says 225 250 at different places and times. Some things I'd say he hasn't changed his approach much, but temps he has. I think there was at least 1 if not 2 threads here where he gives out advice and I've seen in different places he gave different advice. The reason I'm stating Harry is because he has wsms so I paid more attention.

Last edited:
The sticking lid is easy to fix.

Wipe the rim of the lid and barrell with a paper towel while the cooker is hot/warm. And prop open the lid a skooch with a skewer or stick before putting the cold cooker away. Solved!

As for the lid sticking, in my experience it all has to do with cooking really fatty cuts of meat and that stuff accumulating on the edge of the lid and the flat portion of the middle cooking section. If you remember to wipe those surfaces with a paper towel after a cook AND wedge a little something under the edge of the lid to keep it from touching the middle section as that gunk dries and glues the two sections together, you should be OK. And a good occasional cleaning doesn't hurt, either.

Back