Genesis Platinum C

Just the flavorizer bars on those grills are in the $250 range. And as you can see they're toast on that unit. Also even the grates may not be useful. On the first generation Summit at least Weber kept the grate dimensions the same as the then current Genesis. But these grills are deeper (front to back). The grates MIGHT work on the latest Genesis grills but they're different enough that even trying to cut them down they will not fit earlier (sidewinder) grills. And sadly due to the placement of the cross bars I don't think you can actually cut them back enough to fit. This is also where Weber really cut back on the overall quality of construction on the Summit. Something I saw when I was looking at them side by side. In comparison to the 1st gen ones there is no comparison. Which was why I took a 1st gen over the 2nd gen
I overall agree, Larry. Still, I think the Platinum version is worthy of a little more respect because of the real stainless frame and cabinetry. Unfortunately, the firebox issues and the goofy flavorizer bar issue you mentioned are major issues to overcome. This is not a “bargain” grill to do a quick, inexpensive restore and be cooking on it two days later.

I overall agree, Larry. Still, I think the Platinum version is worthy of a little more respect because of the real stainless frame and cabinetry. Unfortunately, the firebox issues and the goofy flavorizer bar issue you mentioned are major issues to overcome. This is not a “bargain” grill to do a quick, inexpensive restore and be cooking on it two days later.
Could that stainless frame be adapted to the 1000 series or Silver series without too much ado? Seems a shame to let all that great stainless steel go to waste.

Hey Jon; you're the one who invested so much in that grate showdown. I believe you cut down the grate for a 1st gen Summit and called it a poor man's rcplanebuyer option. Can you weigh in on whether the grate from this grill, which others have identified as a 2nd gen, would work?

Looks to me like the 2nd generation Summit grates are individually just slightly shorter front to back but 2 inches wider left to right:
8E39FB6B-BBCF-4A31-8939-8ABBC68EDCD4.png
AEB2B139-F5EF-4E2E-BD35-977605F00711.png

But wait, that Summit grate set was for the 4-burner WITHOUT the smoker box. Look at what they are selling for the one WITH the smoker box:

F0CADA76-A51E-474E-A837-00193144F461.png

So, it looks like this version IS interchangeable with Genesis grills prior to the 300 series.

But wait, that Summit grate set was for the 4-burner WITHOUT the smoker box. Look at what they are selling for the one WITH the smoker box:

View attachment 43444

So, it looks like this version IS interchangeable with Genesis grills prior to the 300 series.
Summits after 2000 have plenty of parts that can be repurposed in the same generation. Summit Silvers and Genesis Silvers for example.

The parts path is one way, Summits to Genesis

Summits after 2000 have plenty of parts that can be repurposed in the same generation. Summit Silvers and Genesis Silvers for example.

The parts path is one way, Summits to Genesis
Can you say more? Specifically, which parts? I'm wondering most about the frame since it's stainless.

Can you say more? Specifically, which parts? I'm wondering most about the frame since it's stainless.
The regular Genesis frames are surprisingly solid, even if they start rusting you can stop the rust with an encapsulator type paint or POR-15. You can also replace pieces of the frame like the cross bar as Bruce has shown. I did that on the recent rehab 1000 and it came out pretty good, next time I do that I will measure more carefully to drill the holes that hold the new cross bar on but otherwise it was a pretty good repair. But I had been using that grill a bit before I rehabbed it, and even with a completely rusted through crossbar and rusted out bottom fasteners (bolts for the rods going from leg to leg on the bottom) the grill was still really stable. I guess I'm trying to say the frame will give you plenty of warning before it actually fails, if they even can fail.

Probably about 5 to 10 years' warning actually.

Then again, I don't stress my frames by moving the grills around a lot. My NG is parked by its gas source and really doesn't move maybe twice a year and even then only a couple feet. Maybe it's different if you're rolling it around a lot, but for what I do I just leave the grill where it is.

The regular Genesis frames are surprisingly solid, even if they start rusting you can stop the rust with an encapsulator type paint or POR-15. You can also replace pieces of the frame like the cross bar as Bruce has shown. I did that on the recent rehab 1000 and it came out pretty good, next time I do that I will measure more carefully to drill the holes that hold the new cross bar on but otherwise it was a pretty good repair. But I had been using that grill a bit before I rehabbed it, and even with a completely rusted through crossbar and rusted out bottom fasteners (bolts for the rods going from leg to leg on the bottom) the grill was still really stable. I guess I'm trying to say the frame will give you plenty of warning before it actually fails, if they even can fail.

Probably about 5 to 10 years' warning actually.

Then again, I don't stress my frames by moving the grills around a lot. My NG is parked by its gas source and really doesn't move maybe twice a year and even then only a couple feet. Maybe it's different if you're rolling it around a lot, but for what I do I just leave the grill where it is.
Depends on region and weather too. When I lived in Arizona, rust was not an issue. Now living in the Pacific Northwest, it's essentially impossible to find an old Weber without at least a bit of it. Of course keeping it on a covered porch and/or using a grill cover can go a long way. But, still, a stainless frame seems a very good idea if it can be done without too much trouble. That's why I ran out and grabbed the Platinum last weekend. Would be awesome to create a similar frame for the 1000.

Wheels, tables, side burners, tank scales, hoses, cooking surfaces, nuts, bolts, etc

The platinum frame on the summit could be modified
Thanks. Looks like you tried to post a link to another thread where this is more fully discussed but I don't see it.

Edit: Nevermind. Found it:

Is this the right set of tool hooks for the Platinum? Mine is missing anything to hang stuff from.

Is this the right set of tool hooks for the Platinum? Mine is missing anything to hang stuff from.

Those appear to be for charcoal kettles. I’m not familiar with the nuances of the Platinums but usually there will be either three metal clip type hooks on the frame for thousand grills and my Silver B had them as sort of part of the side table part of the frame in molded plastic.

Roy that is definitely for kettle grills. OK, so I went back to the beginning of this long and winding thread. Your picture of the Platinum you picked up shows the gray end pieces that attach to the frame. The one on the left is a hand for moving the grill (and breaking the welds on those extensions) while the one on the right has three hooks for your tools. Did you ditch that? If so, and you don't plan on putting it back on, then you need some of the old stainless ones that clipped on the front of the frame. You would have to lift up you control panel to pop them in.

I am afraid those are pretty much extinct. I was trying to find a listing with a picture, but no luck in the time I had. These last forever, so I bet you could get three used one from someone here.

Roy that is definitely for kettle grills. OK, so I went back to the beginning of this long and winding thread. Your picture of the Platinum you picked up shows the gray end pieces that attach to the frame. The one on the left is a hand for moving the grill (and breaking the welds on those extensions) while the one on the right has three hooks for your tools. Did you ditch that? If so, and you don't plan on putting it back on, then you need some of the old stainless ones that clipped on the front of the frame. You would have to lift up you control panel to pop them in.

I am afraid those are pretty much extinct. I was trying to find a listing with a picture, but no luck in the time I had. These last forever, so I bet you could get three used one from someone here.
I see it. Thank you. Figuring this out one teaspoon full at a time.

Managed to get some work done on the Platinum today. Cleaned out the soot. Wasn't as bad as the 1000-LX. The last owner must have cleaned it from time to time. Checked the burners. They all worked nicely. The front burner doesn't seem to turn down well. Perhaps someone can give me a sense of what might cause that and how to fix it. The other two modulated nicely and evenly.

Managed to remove the side panels and the rusted bottom. Good riddance! Looks like the aluminum angle irons would work well. I'm going to use Fiberon planks left over from the rebuilding of my front deck. You can see one in the photo. I've got it oriented north/south but, if I can find support pieces, I'd prefer to run them east/west like the planks on the original Genesis.

I've found a local store that has stainless so I'm going to try to go with that if possible. Otherwise, I'll use small pieces of rubber between the SS and aluminum to keep them from touching and avoid possible corrosion. I think I'll also try to find a stainless cross panel to hide the view of the drip tray. IMG_20220116_131945.jpgIMG_20220116_152712.jpgIMG_20220116_153746.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the metal panels that went in the trash as well as the stainless doors that are still in good shape. Since I have no plans to use the doors, I'd be happy to give them to anyone who can find a good use. I'm in western Washington, about two hours north of Seattle, about 20 minutes from the Canadian border. Can't imagine shipping would be feasible but I'm open to suggestions. IMG_20220116_152718.jpgIMG_20220116_160742.jpgIMG_20220116_160751.jpg

Thanks. The Sta Lube brake and caliper grease is coming up in a big tube for $12. Any idea where to get the smaller packet he used in the video? Even the smaller size is sure to provide a lifetime supply.

Thanks. The Sta Lube brake and caliper grease is coming up in a big tube for $12. Any idea where to get the smaller packet he used in the video? Even the smaller size is sure to provide a lifetime supply.
Yes just go to Autozone and they will give you small sample packs they give out for brake jobs.

Back