Genesis Platinum C

Unless you are planning on rebuilding that monster, which I wouldn't personally do, there is no reason to mess around with it for parts.

The problem is, if you have to cut an inch off their length to fit a Genesis grill, they may not have enough room with those cross bars so close to the ends.

The problem is, if you have to cut an inch off their length to fit a Genesis grill, they may not have enough room with those cross bars so close to the ends.
Bruce is correct, as usual. Plus, even if it did somehow work, you would have to cut both sides of the grate to make it even. That's a lot of work, even with the proper tool and the skill to use it.

I would actually not shy away from the work involved. If I could get a hold of a set of those grates, I would be happy to spend the time with my $9.99 Harbor Fright angle grinder and cutting wheel if I could adapt them to a Genesis grill.

Bruce is correct, as usual. Plus, even if it did somehow work, you would have to cut both sides of the grate to make it even. That's a lot of work, even with the proper tool and the skill to use it.
Would be great (as opposed to grate) if Jon Tofte chimed in. He's the one who did it but he used a third generation Summit grate.

Are second and third generation grates the same?

The Summit silvers and golds have cooking surfaces the same length front to back as a genesis silver gold. The six burner has a goofy half width cooking surface for 2 and half cooking surfaces. Everyone I had had a smoke box

I’ve never had a platinum summit. The thermoset table and side burner look like genesis silver or gold to me.

The Summit silvers and golds have cooking surfaces the same length front to back as a genesis silver gold. The six burner has a goofy half width cooking surface for 2 and half cooking surfaces. Everyone I had had a smoke box

I’ve never had a platinum summit. The thermoset table and side burner look like genesis silver or gold to me.
Thanks. I offered the guy $20 for the grates. He's asking $75 for the whole grill. If he gets tired of looking at it, maybe he'll take me up. I'll send him another message letting him know I'm willing to haul off the whole grill, but the price would have to be free.

I ordered grates from Dave Santana quite some time ago for my brother's Summit "Silver" IIRC (I know it's a 2nd gen with only a side burner and had stamped grates OEM) and when the new grates came from Dave I liked them so much I tried to fit them into my Genesis 2. No way Jose' they were quite a bit too long. (length of the actual bars front to back). I don't recall how much longer than my fire box they were but no way would they fit. Now, that being said I would STILL take those grates and at least try to cut them back to fit a "real" Genesis. IIRC the newer styled sidewinder Genesis grills had slightly larger grates, and I think this was to bring manufacturing costs in line for Weber so there was "commonality" they would not need different "lines" to make grates for different model grills. But, the Genesis x000 style grills will not accept those grates. I know I tried

I ordered grates from Dave Santana quite some time ago for my brother's Summit "Silver" IIRC (I know it's a 2nd gen with only a side burner and had stamped grates OEM) and when the new grates came from Dave I liked them so much I tried to fit them into my Genesis 2. No way Jose' they were quite a bit too long. (length of the actual bars front to back). I don't recall how much longer than my fire box they were but no way would they fit. Now, that being said I would STILL take those grates and at least try to cut them back to fit a "real" Genesis. IIRC the newer styled sidewinder Genesis grills had slightly larger grates, and I think this was to bring manufacturing costs in line for Weber so there was "commonality" they would not need different "lines" to make grates for different model grills. But, the Genesis x000 style grills will not accept those grates. I know I tried
It would have been sacrilege to cut down Dave's grates. :)

That would necessarily make them incompatible with the Silver/Gold B and C grills. Unless they could be modified of course.

I would have never done that. I only did it to see if they would fit is all. I had my old 1st gen Summit at the time and I knew those would fit

Side to side would be less problematic to modify, but I think Genesis grates are 17.3" front to back so that would work.

Side to side would be less problematic to modify, but I think Genesis grates are 17.3" front to back so that would work.
They are between 17 1/4 and 17 3/8. Front to back. The rods would be easier to cut than the channel ones. The vibration of the tool would loosen up the channel pieces

Off topic - the big summits and the big genesis 2009 ish have the same front to back measurements for the cooking surface.

They are between 17 1/4 and 17 3/8. Front to back. The rods would be easier to cut than the channel ones. The vibration of the tool would loosen up the channel pieces

Off topic - the big summits and the big genesis 2009 ish have the same front to back measurements for the cooking surface.
That's good to know.

Back