Genesis Platinum C

Seriously, being color blind makes most of those colors all just slightly different shades of the same color.
I'm sorry, Bruce. My seven year old son is color blind. If I could give him my color vision I would. Wish I could because I love color. For most guys, however, it's not that important. Mostly an artistic thing.

There are some glasses that do something. Some claim they merely help differentiate colors. Others claim they can correct color blindness and allow someone to see colors they didn't see before. For certain types of color blindness only. Colorlite is the one that claims to extend color vision. Enchroma doesn't make that claim. There are places where you can try both and get evaluated. Colorlite is out of a former eastern block country. A family heard about them, went over there and got the U.S. distribution license and then began hooking up with vision centers and optometrists. Covid got in the way so they don't yet have many places set up. I know there's one in Phoenix and one in New Jersey. Actually, here's the map. Looks like there are a reasonable number:

If you're interested, they can test you for something like $30. If they work, the Colorlite glasses cost more than the Enchromas. Something like $1,000 to the Enchroma's $200 or $300.

A few years ago, I asked for a pair of those glasses for Christmas. My family bought me the highest rated ones out there. I know they were several hundred dollars. I was really excited when I got them. I had watched tons of videos where people put them on and looked around and started crying they were so amazed. They did nothing for me except make things look strange.
I cannot say I am 100% color blind. I can tell the difference between some colors, but darker greens, browns, reds and blacks are really tough. I can see what I think is Blue pretty good but confuse it with purple a lot, yellow is good as well. I think they call what I have as being Blue/Green color blind. To be honest, I did not even realize I was color blind until around high school. Working on electrical stuff like cars with wires was tough for me and while others could easily see the brown wire or red wire, I really struggled. Then, I got my confirmation when I went into the Army. During the entry physical, they test your sigh and color vision as well. The lady had a book with pages of these multi colored pastel dots and there was a number in each one. I could see the first couple, but after that, I could not see any numbers. I thought it was some kind of trick. Anyway, it knocked my eligability out of about 70% of the jobs the Army offered. I was actually most interested in computer and electronics but I was instantly disqualified due to color blindness. It was strange. They said I was even disqualified from being in artillery....I guess they color code some important stuff for that job...probably different types of munitions.
Anyway, I took a bonus to be a Morse Code Interceptor in Army Intelligence.

I still sit and wonder sometimes what it would be like to see all the colors as everyone else sees them. But, I guess not knowing what I am missing makes it easier. I thank God that I am not fully blind. I have a good buddy that was in Vietnam and their post got shelled one afternoon and he wound up blinded at 18 years old. Funny thing though is he is one of the most positive and nice people I know. He has regained some of his sight through surgeries and treatments, but he is still very much legally blind and hasn't been able to drive since before he was in Vietnam.
Oh well, to get back on topic. I rehabbed him a gas grill about 5 years ago and he loved it. He used to have a Weber kettle but nearly burned down his deck one day. I set him up with the Genesis and he just loved how easy it was to use.

A few years ago, I asked for a pair of those glasses for Christmas. My family bought me the highest rated ones out there. I know they were several hundred dollars. I was really excited when I got them. I had watched tons of videos where people put them on and looked around and started crying they were so amazed. They did nothing for me except make things look strange.
I cannot say I am 100% color blind. I can tell the difference between some colors, but darker greens, browns, reds and blacks are really tough. I can see what I think is Blue pretty good but confuse it with purple a lot, yellow is good as well. I think they call what I have as being Blue/Green color blind. To be honest, I did not even realize I was color blind until around high school. Working on electrical stuff like cars with wires was tough for me and while others could easily see the brown wire or red wire, I really struggled. Then, I got my confirmation when I went into the Army. During the entry physical, they test your sigh and color vision as well. The lady had a book with pages of these multi colored pastel dots and there was a number in each one. I could see the first couple, but after that, I could not see any numbers. I thought it was some kind of trick. Anyway, it knocked my eligability out of about 70% of the jobs the Army offered. I was actually most interested in computer and electronics but I was instantly disqualified due to color blindness. It was strange. They said I was even disqualified from being in artillery....I guess they color code some important stuff for that job...probably different types of munitions.
Anyway, I took a bonus to be a Morse Code Interceptor in Army Intelligence.

I still sit and wonder sometimes what it would be like to see all the colors as everyone else sees them. But, I guess not knowing what I am missing makes it easier. I thank God that I am not fully blind. I have a good buddy that was in Vietnam and their post got shelled one afternoon and he wound up blinded at 18 years old. Funny thing though is he is one of the most positive and nice people I know. He has regained some of his sight through surgeries and treatments, but he is still very much legally blind and hasn't been able to drive since before he was in Vietnam.
Oh well, to get back on topic. I rehabbed him a gas grill about 5 years ago and he loved it. He used to have a Weber kettle but nearly burned down his deck one day. I set him up with the Genesis and he just loved how easy it was to use.
That's a cool story about how you helped your friend. My son-in-law (daughter's husband) is color blind and he doesn't think anything of it. My older son is not but probably wouldn't care if he was. He's a brilliant computer engineer and doesn't focus on things like art. My father-in-law, the guy from whom my seven-year-old son inherited it, doesn't like to talk about it. In his case, I think he carries a lot of sadness but he's totally an artist. He loves poetry and music. I offered to take him to the place in New Jersey, where he lives, to see if it would help. He said he'd think about it. He's 80 so it might be a big change for him, if they could help.

It sounds like your family got you the Enchromas. If you're interested, I'd encourage you to get tested by Colorlite. It's a very different system. They claim that your red and green rods are shifted and they have a technology to shift them back. I don't know if it's true but we will have our son tested when he's ready. At this point, he knows he's color blind but doesn't like to think or talk about it.

By the way, the term is a misnomer. Almost no one is truly color blind. There are a few who see only monochrome black, white and grey. The vast majority are color impaired. There are many versions but the most common are two versions of the red-green variety --
  • Deuteranomaly is the most common type of red-green color blindness. It makes green look more red. This type is mild and doesn’t usually get in the way of normal activities.
  • Protanomaly makes red look more green and less bright. This type is mild and usually doesn’t get in the way of normal activities.

PS: We're quite sure our son is a Protan, based on what he sees and doesn't see. The tip off came when, as a baby, he learned his letters, numbers, days of the week, etc. effortlessly but kept confusing colors. Knowing that my wife's father is color blind and knowing that it's a recessive trait that comes through the mother on the part of the x chromosome that's missing from the y in the xy pair that makes someone male. I knew there was a 50/50 chance he would get it. Girls almost never get it because they have two x chromosomes (an xx pair rather than xy) and both would need to carry the colorblindness gene.

Well, you gentlemen will be happy to know I'm buying flavorizer bars for both the 1000-LX and the Platinum from Dave Santana. Wanted to give him some business given what he's up against plus it's a win-win since I'm betting, based on his reputation here, that those bars will far surpass the ones I'm sporting now. (Seems I'm becoming a newby grill fanatic. Just have to learn how to use the damn thing, though I must say that first run with my son's chicken breasts was a revelation. Who knew? That they could emerge so beautifully seared on the outside, so moist and tender on the inside, each of them cooked exactly the same though they sat in different places on the grate. My Charbroiler stood silent, humiliated witness.)

Having said all of that, can you fellas tell me what these thicker gauge bars will do for my grilling experience?

Last edited:
The thicker bars won't do a whole lot to the grilling experience. They may slow the heat up and cool down times slightly but not much. Aside from lasting much longer than cheapo bars though, they might aid in a little more even heating across the grates. But the big benefit is you won't be replacing them every 2-3 years and you won't have to worry about them warping.

I think the bigger issue is space between the bars. On cheap grates that can get pretty wide and potentially hamper your cooking of smaller and delicate things like vegetables and shrimp. Quality grates have narrower spaces. Even on some more typical grill items like chops, steak or chicken breast, a nice set of grates just seems more enjoyable to cook on to me.

We are discussing both grates and flavorizers at the same time.

I think Bruce covered thicker and better flavorizer bars well.

Grates are their own kettle of fish.

I don't recall Bruce's comment but figured I can't go wrong buying them from David. Particularly since he needs the business. I've only cooked once on my Weber (and only on one of 'em) but I now get why you fellas speak so highly of them. I could see myself really getting into this way of cooking.

Roy, This is the comment from Bruce I was referring to in regards to flavorizer bars.
The thicker bars won't do a whole lot to the grilling experience. They may slow the heat up and cool down times slightly but not much. Aside from lasting much longer than cheapo bars though, they might aid in a little more even heating across the grates. But the big benefit is you won't be replacing them every 2-3 years and you won't have to worry about them warping.

One thing I have found with thicker FBs is they do stabilize the temps very well. Something I like. Because it helps with "recovery" when you have to open the grill to turn the food or check temps

Thanks. Makes sense.

By the way, what's the deal with the Summit? Someone's selling this one for $75. Does it offer anything over the Platinum and the 1000-LX?
Looks like it has a nice set of stainless grates.

252110780_4717958014922521_446974792141695393_n.jpg253641560_4228641043930622_5092204916590736315_n.jpg254118727_4328791390579853_1290834634041997246_n.jpg

Biggest issue with the Summit's is the cook box. THey are not fully aluminum like Genesis grills are. The burners on those grills pass through a ceramic coated panel into the cook box. That panel is a huge weak spot. It soon starts corroding around the holes for the burners and pretty soon the holes get big enough to make the grills unsafe to continue to use. Since the panels are no longer produced, you basically have a useless grill. Fabbing a new Stainless panel would to costly for most people and there seems to be no one out there that is willing to make them aftermarket.

Biggest issue with the Summit's is the cook box. THey are not fully aluminum like Genesis grills are. The burners on those grills pass through a ceramic coated panel into the cook box. That panel is a huge weak spot. It soon starts corroding around the holes for the burners and pretty soon the holes get big enough to make the grills unsafe to continue to use. Since the panels are no longer produced, you basically have a useless grill. Fabbing a new Stainless panel would to costly for most people and there seems to be no one out there that is willing to make them aftermarket.
Thank you, Bruce. I guess that's why they're orphan grills.

Right now he's at $75. If he gets to the point where he's giving it away, maybe I'll make the drive to rescue those grates. Would have to be cut down but Jon covered it in his reviews. Called it the poor man's rcplanebuilder grate.

Bruce is correct, I was fortunate to be able to fabricate new panels for my Summit Platinum D6, that being said, there are a lot of parts there that could be repurposed, frame, cabinet, grates, smokerbox, etc.

Bruce is correct, I was fortunate to be able to fabricate new panels for my Summit Platinum D6, that being said, there are a lot of parts there that could be repurposed, frame, cabinet, grates, smokerbox, etc.
If I got sucked in that deep. I'd like the grates but the rest of it is beyond my ken.

How does the frame measure up against the 1000-LX? Would there be a way of swapping in a stainless frame without cutting or welding?

Just the flavorizer bars on those grills are in the $250 range. And as you can see they're toast on that unit. Also even the grates may not be useful. On the first generation Summit at least Weber kept the grate dimensions the same as the then current Genesis. But these grills are deeper (front to back). The grates MIGHT work on the latest Genesis grills but they're different enough that even trying to cut them down they will not fit earlier (sidewinder) grills. And sadly due to the placement of the cross bars I don't think you can actually cut them back enough to fit. This is also where Weber really cut back on the overall quality of construction on the Summit. Something I saw when I was looking at them side by side. In comparison to the 1st gen ones there is no comparison. Which was why I took a 1st gen over the 2nd gen

Just the flavorizer bars on those grills are in the $250 range. And as you can see they're toast on that unit. Also even the grates may not be useful. On the first generation Summit at least Weber kept the grate dimensions the same as the then current Genesis. But these grills are deeper (front to back). The grates MIGHT work on the latest Genesis grills but they're different enough that even trying to cut them down they will not fit earlier (sidewinder) grills. And sadly due to the placement of the cross bars I don't think you can actually cut them back enough to fit. This is also where Weber really cut back on the overall quality of construction on the Summit. Something I saw when I was looking at them side by side. In comparison to the 1st gen ones there is no comparison. Which was why I took a 1st gen over the 2nd gen
Is the one in the photo 2nd gen? I don't know these things.

If the owner decides to junk it, would it make sense to drive an hour to pick up the grates? Can they be cut down to fit a 1000 series or Silver series grill?

I am not an expert on the Summit grills, but I do think that one pictured above https://tvwbb.com/threads/genesis-platinum-c.89825/page-9#post-1014674 is a second generation model.
I don't know if the grates could be cut down properly to fit a genesis grate. Normally, I would say sure, but the problem would be is if you have to cut too much off each end, it might lead to the two cross bars too close to the ends and interfering with how they would set on the ridges in the cook box.

Back