Genesis Platinum C

Roy that Silver one was @Sam Bee

They're all nice but that one in particular appeals to me. If I can find a blue lid, maybe I'll do something similar with mine.

They're all nice but that one in particular appeals to me. If I can find a blue lid, maybe I'll do something similar with mine.
Blue lids are hard to find but are out there. That one in particular came off of a Weber 5000 so that'll be much harder to find than the darker blue lid from the Silvers.

Thanks Sam. Too bad Dave's not making them. There are some still listed on ebay but at $160 plus $20 shipping plus tax, we're getting into rather exclusive territory. Not that $200 is a huge sum in the big picture. But at some point, one has to consider the issue of diminishing returns. For me it's a guessing game, given that I'm new to this hobby (or aspiration or way of life -- somehow hobby doesn't seem to capture it). Might be better to call it an art, science and aspiration.
Yah, I understand why Dave's not making them anymore due to the current supply/demand ($$$) conditions and that's just too bad. However, the ones from BBQparts.com are still an excellent choice and from an American company that's been in business for over 50 years.

Roy, I actually ended up throwing away the exact same hood you showed (gray with red stripes) a while back. Could not even give it away and it was in perfect condition :(

I saw a Mica Blue one once but I was to late to get it. I would not mind one but I have been looking for this one for My Platinum.

Green Genesis Platinum 3200.jpg

Last edited:
But, are we talking about Stainless Steel and Aluminum? I don't think you will get the same corrosion problems than if the steel was regular carbon steel.
I think that you will still have the same issue with galvanic corrosion:

US Navy Littoral Combat Ship Independence[edit]​

Serious galvanic corrosion has been reported on the latest US Navy attack littoral combat vessel the USS Independence caused by steel water jet propulsion systems attached to an aluminium hull. Without electrical isolation between the steel and aluminium, the aluminium hull acts as an anode to the stainless steel, resulting in aggressive galvanic corrosion.[11]"

Corroding lighting fixtures[edit]​

Main article: Big Dig § Lighting fixtures
The unexpected fall in 2011 of a heavy light fixture from the ceiling of the Big Dig vehicular tunnel in Boston revealed that corrosion had weakened its support. Improper use of aluminium in contact with stainless steel had caused rapid corrosion in the presence of salt water.[12] The electrochemical potential difference between stainless steel and aluminium is in the range of 0.5 to 1.0 V, depending on the exact alloys involved, and can cause considerable corrosion within months under unfavorable conditions. Thousands of failing lights would have to be replaced, at an estimated cost of $54 million.[13]

Do not know if it is a location thing, but the old Platinum lids are all hard to find around here.
there was a slew of Platinum x000s avail last fall in the greater Sacto area for free or nearly free. Green, Grey/Silver ( is that really called Mauve???), Burgundy and Black.

Seriously, being color blind makes most of those colors all just slightly different shades of the same color.

Back