Genesis Platinum C

I sold all my Dewalt and Makita stuff and went Ryobi. I even have an 18v shop vac and chain saw that used the old NiCad batteries and work fantastic with the newer Lithium ones. The reason I went Ryobi was the said they would never change the battery form factor and all future batteries would work with old tools. I got sick of other manufactures changing them all the time. Just don't buy their 40 volt lawn mower as it is a POS
I love my ryobi stuff for the most part, the multi tool is a little weak in my opinion. I've been using this one a lot lately16451626598172213844276782113526.jpg

I personally have mostly Ridgid stuff. I used to use Craftsman with the 19.2V batteries and then I have several Black and Decker drills and other tools. But, I have gone with Ridgid over the last 3-4 years. I still have some of the Craftsman tools and B&D tools however. The batteries on the Craftsman are junk IMO and the drill drivers and others always seemed bulky and heavy. I still like the B&D drill drivers and other tools. Batteries just keep on keepin on. But, I switched to Ridgid for tool availability, tool selection and the LSA. I have used the LSA on one battery so far. That is nice, basically batteries and tools are warranted for life if they are LSA eligible. I think most people would rank them fairly high in the quality and performance scales, but probably not as high as the Milwaukee and Makita and the like however.

Mine are all Bosch or DeWalt. IIRC Rigid is same as Ryobi but not entirely sure. If I was right now starting from scratch and did not need really powerful or "pro" level tools for some things I do I would likely go that same route with Rigid or Ryobi for the lifetime batteries. But they don't make anything in the 3/8" and 1/2" drive impact or 20V grease gun. So it's why I have the ones I do. My battery powered impact wrenches (Bosch 1/2" and DeWalt 1/2"and 3/8") are more powerful than my air powered SnapOn 3/8" and my CP734H air powered impacts. So now all I need is a battery powered ratchet or 2 and I am all set. I will hardly ever again need my big air compressor :D

Ryobi and Ridgid are not the same. I would put them in the same class as probably not top of the line, but better than a lot of Walmart brands.

I am sure both Ryobi and Ridgid make both 3/8" and 1/2" impacts and probably grease gun as well. But they use 18V batteries. One nice thing about them is they have used 18v batteries for a Looong time and all of the tools are all compatible with the new or older batteries. No orphaned tools because the company switched battery platforms. By sticking with all ridgid tools, my batteries are all interchangeable with all my tools.

They do seem to be manufactured by the same parent company. Though I am not sure how much platform sharing they actually do for the different brands. I simply went with more pro level tools because when I need them I need as powerful as I can get for the job at hand. I fell into some great deals (more likely that some of the great deals I got fell off the truck) if you get my drift. I bought the tools I have also because I wanted battery commonality. So in DeWalt I have the leaf blower, grease gun along with 3/8" and 1/2" compact brushless 20V impacts, Also I have a larger 18V Bosch brushless impact that uses same batteries as my larger and heavier drill(s) and driver, and then for lighter work I again went with Bosch (another "deal") and have their 12v LiIon tools in hammer drill, regular drills, and 1/4" drivers.
Like I indicated though had I not already had certain platforms and was starting from scratch right now I would likely head to the Rigid/Ryobi direction. But right now I have a sizeable investment in my battery tools and am not gonna switch unless someone wants to make me a whopping good offer on my current crop :D

I agree Larry. that is why I still have my B&D and craftsman tools. Just because it makes no sense to toss a tool that works and as long as the current batteries still work, I see no reason to just toss them. Selling them isn't going to net me enough to make it worth it. I still do use them pretty regular.

I did something like this with my craftsman battery pack a few years ago.

My drill and battery pack are different than the one in this video, but once it was apart it was easy enough to see what I needed from one of the local battery shops.

Exactly! FWIW I really do like them. When my buddy was building the deck with me at my house. He had with him a full Ryobi set he bought to bring back to England (much cheaper for him to do that than buy them there). So we put everything to use. They worked quite well but really only had about half the "capacity" of the Bosch of same size. But again they were only half the price. If I had to choose between buying the Bosch at twice the price (given my actual work needs) or the Ryobi/Rigid with that nice lifetime battery thing....................Yeah you guessed it. The cheapskate in me would go the Home Depot route :D In any case I got lucky enough a few times to "find a guy". LOL

Larry, with most tool makers, you can buy some serious long lasting and power full 18V batteries for the tools. I use 1ah batteries in my Ridgid ( I have one 2ah) battery and for most work, they last a very long time. Constant driving for something like a deck, you would want bigger. But Ridgid makes a 9ah 18V battery and that thing is a beast. I would like a 4ah for my battery powered Ridgid tire inflator. I don't think a single 1ah battery would be nearly enough to inflate a totally flat car tire. I haven't tried, but I doubt it. I am sure the 4ah one would however.
I also have a 2.5 gallon portable Ridgid Vac. It could use a 4ah or bigger battery as well.

I've stayed away from battery powered tools because of longevity issues. All of my power tools plug into an outlet. I'm sure there are many tools that aren't made with a cord. I've not bought any of those tools so far.

Roy, I understand that. Performance, price, durability are all generally better in a corded power tool. However, a corded tire inflator or a corded drill driver does me little good when I am on the road or trying to dissassemble/fix a grill at someone else's home. Convenience is a key for me I guess. I do have an old Dewalt corded drill that would probably out do all of my Ridgid drill drivers and it probably cost half as much.

Yeah I am looking for a battery powered vac as well. The DeWalt one was not particularly well received on Project Farm. I would like to see if Bosch makes one. I have more large Bosch batteries than DeWalt anyway plus I have a Bosch rapid charger as well. But, I may have to break down and buy yet another brand tool :D

Consider Ridgid. I watched a couple reviews on the portable vacs and generally the Ridgid did well. It even beat out the Milwaukee equivalent.
But, it is nice to have multiple tools with batteries that work on them all.

Roy did you get your Control Panel today. I just got a notification it was delivered. If so, did it turn out ok?

Roy did you get your Control Panel today. I just got a notification it was delivered. If so, did it turn out ok?
Yes, it arrived all boxed up and perfect. Thank you, Samuel!

This really is turning into a collaborative project. Bruce's blue hood, your control panel plate, Tom's black paint. Plus all the great advice from everyone.

Back