Genesis 5000

Thanks, I will be starting the tear down this weekend. I'll make sure to take lots of pics.

No it didn't come with the serving tray unfortunately.

Oh, so they come with new grates as well as the smoke box. OK thanks.

Bruce and Jeff can correct me if I am wrong it comes with the left grate since you need to account for the smoke box so the grate is narrower. I myself don't see the point your either grilling or smoking two different arts a kettle would do the job probably better since you could throw some wood chips on one side and get the smoke. Just my opinion though.

Brian: I only have gassers. I don't really care to invest in a separate smoker at this point. Maybe later. But, if I could get this Genny 1000 to smoke, rotisserie, grill, BBQ and everything else I want it to, then I can keep the garage a little less cluttered.

Brian: I only have gassers. I don't really care to invest in a separate smoker at this point. Maybe later. But, if I could get this Genny 1000 to smoke, rotisserie, grill, BBQ and everything else I want it to, then I can keep the garage a little less cluttered.

Bruce and Jeff can way in here there was a special bracket for the front 2 bars really don't what it did but hit that link and you will see it not totally sure its a straight drop in but I am a rookie so I don't know if its a straight drop in or not.

This is exactly where preference, life and everything come into play. I'd like a charcoal grill, but at this time in life, I'd be getting into it just to make it take some more time to cook. Reading my own sentiment, maybe it's time!

What is that flame check button? What does it do?

Hi LM,
it is a thermocouple attached to burner one. You depress it when you light the grill.When burner one is lit the gas stays running. Sooner or later they fail, and you have to remove/bypass it or the only way you can get burner one to stay lit is to stand there holding it down, or sit half a brick on top of it.

And just to make you happy LM, replacement parts not available ........

Fwiw, you can easily make your own smoke bomb/pouches to use on the gasser to give you a bit of smoke flavor. Wrap some chips up in tin foil, poke some holes in it, loft a grate and put the pouch on top of the FBs.

"And just to make you happy LM, replacement parts not available ........ "

Why on earth do you think this makes me happy?! I was simply asking a question and the insult was uncalled for. There was none intended on my part so I see no reason one should be hurled against me!

Fwiw, you can easily make your own smoke bomb/pouches to use on the gasser to give you a bit of smoke flavor. Wrap some chips up in tin foil, poke some holes in it, loft a grate and put the pouch on top of the FBs.

That is basically what I do Dave. works well.

Why on earth do you think this makes me happy?! I was simply asking a question and the insult was uncalled for. There was none intended on my part so I see no reason one should be hurled against me!

I don't think it was intended as an insult. It was a recognition of your frequent complaints about lack of replacement parts, and here was yet another example that might elicit a negative response from you...probably not the kind of negative response that Stephen was expecting, however.

Let's all just take a deep breath... :)

So what exactly is a 5000?

The aforementioned FlameCheck Safety System was only on the 4000/5000 series grills. At least during certain model years, both 4000/5000 series also shared two special colors--Grey (shown in this thread) and Mauve, both with pinstripes running across the front of the lid--and did not come in standard black, red, or brown. Both series also came with the Steam-N-Chips Smoker accessory included.

The only thing that differentiated the 5000 series from the 4000 series was the glass enclosure below the grill. No other Genesis grills at that time had an enclosed storage space. The 5000 was on wheels, the 5500 was a bolt-down, built-in model running on natural gas.

You can see both series and complete specs in this brochure: 1993 Weber Genesis & Spirit Gas Grill Brochure

No insult was intended. It was actually a recognition/compliment that you are the person who 'maintains the rage' in regards to Weber sometimes failing to keep parts available, such as the cookbox for your Summit inside the warranty period.

When you think about it the Flame Check is a safety device on what was then their top of the range 5000 grill. It is probably made up of standard industry parts. They fail, and unless you then bypass the safety device, the grill does not work. So yes, this is a part I think Weber should keep available.

Your Summit was also a 'Top of the Range' grill, and promoted for it's quality of build. Not doing the base of the firebox in cast or SS (I wonder if they did the Vielux cookbox in all SS?) but enamelled steel led particularly to the panel where the burners enter the cookbox rotting out well before they should have. Should not have happened or at the least replacment parts should be available. I did ponder on this so much that I actually dismantled a Summit cookbox. At first glance they appear to be bolted together- not so- to my surprise they are actually glued together, the bolts I think are to locate the parts while the glue 'sets'. So this i think is the reason why they could not just supply a replacment enamelled steel panel- the glue bond is not easy to get apart, so it would have to be an entire cookbox replacement, as they do with later Summits.

I suspect they ran out of entire cookboxes, and the accounts department stopped any more.

Especially if I had paid full retail price for a 20 year top of the range warranted grill, which has a known flaw, replacment parts should have been available. In SS.

Happy was placed in italics, to signify irony.

LM please check my previous posts in regards to ones you have made. You quite correctly, much to my scepticism, pointed out, that with converting gassers from LP to NG that it is not just swapping the jets, often the valves need to be changed as well. You continue to advise people of this fact, thankfully, as not changing the valves can be quite dangerous.

So, hand on my heart, no insult was intended.Quite the opposite.

LMichaels, long may you 'maintain the rage'.

Last edited:
At least during certain model years, both 4000/5000 series also shared two special colors--Grey (shown in this thread) and Mauve, both with pinstripes running across the front of the lid--and did not come in standard black, red, or brown.

Hi Chris,

I have two 5000s (one restored and my main cooking machine, one for spares) SN EK5, both with Green hoods (White/grey pinstripes) and matching serving trays.

Hi Chris,

I have two 5000s (one restored and my main cooking machine, one for spares) SN EK5, both with Green hoods (White/grey pinstripes) and matching serving trays.

Maybe different colors in different countries? Or different model years?

The EK5 serial number is interesting because a Weber rep told me that at least here in the US, this would be KL5 (5000 liquid propane) or KN5 (5000 natural gas) or PMN (5500 permanent mount natural gas). Looks like a different scheme in AUS.

"So, hand on my heart, no insult was intended.Quite the opposite.

LMichaels, long may you 'maintain the rage'. "

OK cool sometimes I am just a little "slow" on the uptake LOL All good...........

To the original "issue about that "flame check" device. I'd lay odds it can be replaced/repaired with off the shelf parts perhaps from a gas supply house. Perhaps it's only the thermocouple that fails? I had a similar failure on my Wolf which has a safety type gas valve for the IR Rotisserie burner. I ended up disassembling the safety valve and cleaning it. Put it together and it's working again. Big relief because that Wolf is my go to pizza grill and it's because of the IR burner. It is also my rotisserie grill because my son in law now has my Genesis. So here's hoping that Wolf hangs in there for the rest of "my days" anyway. I have a feeling my wife will most likely use it as my coffin LOL

Chris, thanks for the clarification. Those, Skylines and other "fancy" Genesis models are extraordinarily rare around here, at least I've never seen them listed. Perhaps they are permanently installed and maintained!

Chris, thanks for the clarification. Those, Skylines and other "fancy" Genesis models are extraordinarily rare around here, at least I've never seen them listed. Perhaps they are permanently installed and maintained!

I think the Skyline was particularly a Chicago product (Weber paying homage to it's roots) and IIRC they were pretty much a Sears special item too. (Hence the Sears Tower cannot call it Willis BTW sacrilege). They are quite common in the Chicago burbs I see them pop on CL all the time

Makes sense! We do see a lot of redheads, and no shortage of deep vs. shallow fire boxes. Rust, wood rot and northeasterners' desire for new things keeps the stock of old stuff pretty good, especially at the beginning and the end of the summer!

I collected a Skyline earlier this month and it's just a regular 1000 series with a logo on the lid and a spice rack. :p

Back