GENESIS 5000 TIMBER - GREY PAINT OR STAIN?

Returning to the original inquiry of this thread...It seems to be that this old grill had wood slats that were STAINED and not painted gray. I think maybe later Weber did paint some slats gray, but I doubt they did back when the 5000 was made.

If it were me, I would try to get close. Surely, there is some translucent light gray stain available in Australia?!!

After staining, a coat of spar urethane, either satin or matte would be a good protection option. Just my opinion, but I believe Mark is trying for an authentic restore, so I think there has to be a way he can get there - even in the land down under 🦘!
Yeah it's weird, I've got what I think is the original timber and original colour and it definitely looks like paint.

I have a funny feeling that when the BBQ's were shipped to Australia that were shipped without timber and I think Weber Australia applied the timber. For example in the States Redwood was used, I know that Cedar was used in Australia.

So I'm wondering if Weber Australia opted for paint in the grey.

Solid color stain (even semi solid) can appear more paint like. Honestly I am unsure what makes a paint not a solid color stain

I totally agree with what Jon posted I would not use paint and urethane has no UV protection and is not made for exterior use. What condition is the wood in? If it needs wood filler to be repaired because of divots and such you could still find a pewter color solid stain or something close and then do a few coats of spar over it. If the wood is clean you could use a semi transparent stain like I used on the 1000 and then a few coats of spar. I would not spray anything just can't get enough product on it for protection from sliding dishes, pans or whatever. A stain brushed on should be fine as well as brushing the spar.

If they sell Helmans down there they do make it in a spray can never used it and it ain't cheap in the US anyway. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-Hel...JtNnHJQIw_1UHvZJ4woaAh3pEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Minwax/Helmans also makes a water based spar which would be easier to work with then the oil brush it on. https://www.minwax.com/en/products/...ndoor-outdoor-spar-urethane?bvstate=pg:2/ct:r

There are other brands of spar so my guess is you can find something down there. Any marine store I believe would carry a clear spar, satin would be a nice look not so glossy or go matte your choice.

I have to admit I am surprised that they don't sell at a HD type store an exterior waterbourne deck stain sealer tinted for sure they probably have it in just clear which you could use instead of the spar but it is what it is. Stain is cheap and you don't need alot of it a small container will more than do the job. A quart of Spar would be way more than enough.

Probably a waste of a post I don't think they sell Minwax down there anymore but maybe someone carries it.

Do they have a https://www.bunnings.com.au/intergrain-10l-charcoal-ultradeck-timber-decking-stain_p1580776 Bunnings near you they have a waterborne semi this link was charcoal maybe they have other colors.
Cheers for the input Brian. The paint and Urethane is purely combo is purely an experiental trial just to see how it turns out.

I will probably replace the timber at the original has a fair amount of rot. Unfortunately mate we definitely don't have a product here in Australia like the Behr Stain & Sealer product that can be tinted.

I will probably go down that paint path and I was thinking about spraying in multiple coats. It will be with a proper spray gun, not a spray can.

I was in Bunnings and yep I found the Intergrain charcoal, unfortunately that's the only colour and it's quite dark

Solid color stain (even semi solid) can appear more paint like. Honestly I am unsure what makes a paint not a solid color stain
Yeah I went through the Behr product and with the ingredients and the way to apply the product sounds very much like a paint.

If I go the paint path it will be a high durable exterior paint that is UV protected and can with stand staining, cracking and chipping

I honestly think stain is more suited to the use of those wood slats. I would use a semi solid (semi transparent) over a paint. I did do paint on my original Genesis way back when. Not a rattle can I used proper paint, properly mixed and sprayed with a real spray gun. Outstanding result BUT, one bad thing about paint. Once it starts to go "bad" (and truthfully I did my Genesis like 15 or 20 years ago) and most of it still looks as good as the day I did it. Even though it's had constant weather exposure, but on places where it's showing age.........................it's MUCH harder to get looking good again then just another stain job

Yah, look at most decks that get stained. The stuff starts peeling off after several years. It does not simply "soak in" like the traditional stains we used on furniture and that kind of thing. Yet is is still clearly classified as stain.

Yah, look at most decks that get stained. The stuff starts peeling off after several years. It does not simply "soak in" like the traditional stains we used on furniture and that kind of thing. Yet is is still clearly classified as stain.
We called the opaque stain, stain-paint. We used to live at 6500 ft elevation and the sun would destroy it, but the house came with it so there was no easy way to go back to stain.

Yeah it's weird, I've got what I think is the original timber and original colour and it definitely looks like paint.

I have a funny feeling that when the BBQ's were shipped to Australia that were shipped without timber and I think Weber Australia applied the timber. For example in the States Redwood was used, I know that Cedar was used in Australia.

So I'm wondering if Weber Australia opted for paint in the grey.
It wasn't an Australian thing, I have seen just as many grills here with the wooden slats stained gray as I have seen stained red. As far as the species of wood goes, they were almost all maple. This fact I got from a friend of mine who was the quality control manager at Weber in the 90's.

It wasn't an Australian thing, I have seen just as many grills here with the wooden slats stained gray as I have seen stained red. As far as the species of wood goes, they were almost all maple. This fact I got from a friend of mine who was the quality control manager at Weber in the 90's.
Very interesting. I always thought they were cedar except maybe in the very early years when possibly redwood was used. I am pretty sure redwood was used on the old Sequoia wood cart for the 22" kettle, but that pre-dates Weber gas grills.

Very interesting. I always thought they were cedar except maybe in the very early years when possibly redwood was used. I am pretty sure redwood was used on the old Sequoia wood cart for the 22" kettle, but that pre-dates Weber gas grills.
I got that info right from the horse's mouth so to speak and it makes sense when you consider how soft cedar and redwood are. These old grills would have all kinds of dents and smashed spots on the slats if that's what they had used. Maple is rock hard and since it was stained anyway, its lack of grain wouldn't have been a concern.

Hey Mate, sorry I meant that it definitely looks like original paint, not stain which is now becoming very confusing ha ha.

That's interesting as I heard from a Weber enthusiast who knows an employee back in the far 3 that it was Redwood.

Yeah I'm not too sure, it's all hear say I think ha ha. Makes sense that the Sequoia's would be a hardwood to last, I'm guessing the timber on the Genesis models would of been the same as it all would of came out of the same mill and they probably saved money by going to the same company

That's interesting as I heard from a Weber enthusiast who knows an employee back in the far 3 that it was Redwood
At the end of the day, it probably doesn't matter much and definitely not worth fighting about. I do have to ask what "back in the far 3" means though? If you can't find a suitable deck stain then use paint. I'm sure it will look fine if you use a paint gun to apply it. I still think the stain will hold up better and will be easier to reapply when it does become weathered. One like this would be perfect if you can get it.Screenshot_20230307-233007.png

At the end of the day, it probably doesn't matter much and definitely not worth fighting about. I do have to ask what "back in the far 3" means though? If you can't find a suitable deck stain then use paint. I'm sure it will look fine if you use a paint gun to apply it. I still think the stain will hold up better and will be easier to reapply when it does become weathered. One like this would be perfect if you can get it.View attachment 67324
Hey Mate, definitely not fighting and 100% appreciate all the information and feedback.

I've done some samples and am going to put my spin on it, so fingers crossed it turns out ok ha ha.

Sorry mate, damn predictive text on the phone. I was meant to write 'back in the day ' 😁

Mark,
One thing I am sure of is that when you are done it will be a stunning grill! Please keep us posted - with lots of pictures, of course - on how it goes for you.
Cheers Jon, it's coming along nicely so fingers crossed it comes out like I vision it

Hi Mark, I am also in Australia.
I have two 5000s (both green) one fully restored, one for spares.
To me, the original timber slats are a grey stained US maple.
I also had a 'brand new' (now gifted to our daughter- liked the 'retro' look) Genesis 1100 'Red Head'.
The slats on that also appeared to be grey stained US Maple.(a very flat, matt finish)
On my 5000 restore the original slats were 'faded' and in some parts a bit of rot had set in,
so I replaced them with Australian Crows Ash (a.k.a Australian Teak),finished with two coats of a
light teak colour, transparent water based timber decking stain/sealer.
The 5000 is kept under a Weber cover (Weber 7552), and the slats are lasting well.
I do prefer the timber look to the grey stain.
Stephen R

I think the choice between something like the teak Stephen R describes and some type of flat, gray (sorry grey:)🦘) translucent stain comes down to what look you want. I agree with Stephen R that the teak stain's timber look is a lot prettier. On the other hand, for sure in the US anyway, these grills originally had that grey stained wood. I think either is an excellent choice, just for different reasons.

Funny, Weber says "grey stained" as well:coolkettle:!

IMG_0563 marked up.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 2
Nice find Jon, in the catalogue.

A photo of my swapping out the old grey/gray slats for the new teak stained ones

IMG_3094.jpeg

A photo of the finished look

IMG_3109.jpeg

The previous owner had painted the lid handle green- the paint is gradually wearing off.

Back