GENESIS 5000 TIMBER - GREY PAINT OR STAIN?

I'm going to soak some durawood in bleach, then pressure wash. If it works well it will save me some work on a platinum 2000
I've pressure washed it before and it does get it cleaner, but I'll bet soaking it in a bleach/detergent mix first would really make a difference. I would like to see the before and after on that project.

Spraying will give you a better finish for sure than brushing and experimenting with a urethane finish on top seems to make even more sense .
Yeah I think I'll end up using the durable exterior paint and spray it instead of brushing it. I'll definitely try an experiential slat with the urethane

I changed the original Weber redwood stained lumber for teak about 25 years ago.

It’s still solid, and requires no maintenance.

It does show signs of use, particularly on the handle. But a power wash from time to time brings it back to almost new.

Functionality wise, it’s a winner.

I changed the original Weber redwood stained lumber for teak about 25 years ago.

It’s still solid, and requires no maintenance.

It does show signs of use, particularly on the handle. But a power wash from time to time brings it back to almost new.

Functionality wise, it’s a winner.
Teak is a great choice for replacement wood on a grill, it wears like iron and is good looking.

Teak is a great choice for replacement wood on a grill, it wears like iron and is good looking.
If someone told me back in 1998 that I would still be cooking on my Genesis 1000 in 2023, I probably would have been skeptical to say the least.

But I was fortunate to have a few cut offs of teak left over from a job I was working on back then, so it was an easy fix to the worn out original Weber wood parts. Wears like iron- yes. Like the Weber grill the teak is attached to.

I like maintenance free.

I used Trex lumber and western red cedar when I built my deck in 96, and that also still looks good and won’t need replacement any time soon.

The Genesis has a permanent home on the deck now, since the heavier WSC took over the patio spot.

Life’s good.D55572EF-4F6F-4120-8D20-4C08C388A20C.jpeg

Last edited:
If someone told me back in 1998 that I would still be cooking on my Genesis 1000 in 2023, I probably would have been skeptical to say the least.

But I was fortunate to have a few cut offs of teak left over from a job I was working on back then, so it was an easy fix to the worn out original Weber wood parts. Wears like iron- yes. Like the Weber grill the teak is attached to.

I like maintenance free.

I used Trex lumber and western red cedar when I built my deck in 96, and that also still looks good and won’t need replacement any time soon.

The Genesis has a permanent home on the deck now, since the heavier WSC took over the patio spot.

Life’s good.View attachment 67101
Ya know it's funny when I looked at that photo quickly, I wondered how you cut that opening in the deck and placed the grill in it and wondered why you would :D

Ya know it's funny when I looked at that photo quickly, I wondered how you cut that opening in the deck and placed the grill in it and wondered why you would :D
Trex is a long lasting maintenance free (mostly) product, but after awhile we would probably have some visible indicators of grill use. The grill mat fits the bill for the grills current location.

Bleach and a green scrubby works well to clean up durawood. Doesn't help it soak up dye though.

What a crazy coincidence, Trex gets mentioned a few times in this thread and now an ad I have never seen before shows up on my forum screen.Screenshot_20230304-101911.png

What a crazy coincidence, Trex gets mentioned a few times in this thread and now an ad I have never seen before shows up on my forum screen.View attachment 67110
You see advertisements on this forum?

I don’t, but I do have ad blockers.

I have heard stories about people having voice conversations about something, like needing to replace some appliance or where to go on vacation and getting solicitations about those products shortly thereafter via text or email.

Hasn’t happened to me yet, so not sure. But that would really be disturbing.

I look at the forum on my phone and not a computer which could make it different as far as ads, I don't know. I do know that your phone does spy on you for advertising purposes.

Phones and smart devices in your home. Listen to everything. Mention a new dishwasher for instance and you will be bombarded with ads

Yah, I am sure if you have those Alexa and Siri devices, you are certainly being monitored. And they monitor stuff and every site you visit. Google monitors all your searches and uses that info to sell adds on their sites or sell the info to other companies so they can bombard you.

If you want to test it out, google "Coach purse" and click on the "Shopping" button. If you start seeing adds for Coach purses or other purses, you will have verified the theory.

We have a Google Nest Hub. You walk a fine line. If you turn off the mic, then it does nothing but display photos. If you make it functional it's like living with "big brother"

Returning to the original inquiry of this thread...It seems to be that this old grill had wood slats that were STAINED and not painted gray. I think maybe later Weber did paint some slats gray, but I doubt they did back when the 5000 was made.

If it were me, I would try to get close. Surely, there is some translucent light gray stain available in Australia?!!

After staining, a coat of spar urethane, either satin or matte would be a good protection option. Just my opinion, but I believe Mark is trying for an authentic restore, so I think there has to be a way he can get there - even in the land down under 🦘!

Yeah I think I'll end up using the durable exterior paint and spray it instead of brushing it. I'll definitely try an experiential slat with the urethane
I totally agree with what Jon posted I would not use paint and urethane has no UV protection and is not made for exterior use. What condition is the wood in? If it needs wood filler to be repaired because of divots and such you could still find a pewter color solid stain or something close and then do a few coats of spar over it. If the wood is clean you could use a semi transparent stain like I used on the 1000 and then a few coats of spar. I would not spray anything just can't get enough product on it for protection from sliding dishes, pans or whatever. A stain brushed on should be fine as well as brushing the spar.

If they sell Helmans down there they do make it in a spray can never used it and it ain't cheap in the US anyway. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-Hel...JtNnHJQIw_1UHvZJ4woaAh3pEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Minwax/Helmans also makes a water based spar which would be easier to work with then the oil brush it on. https://www.minwax.com/en/products/...ndoor-outdoor-spar-urethane?bvstate=pg:2/ct:r

There are other brands of spar so my guess is you can find something down there. Any marine store I believe would carry a clear spar, satin would be a nice look not so glossy or go matte your choice.

I have to admit I am surprised that they don't sell at a HD type store an exterior waterbourne deck stain sealer tinted for sure they probably have it in just clear which you could use instead of the spar but it is what it is. Stain is cheap and you don't need alot of it a small container will more than do the job. A quart of Spar would be way more than enough.

Probably a waste of a post I don't think they sell Minwax down there anymore but maybe someone carries it.

Do they have a https://www.bunnings.com.au/intergrain-10l-charcoal-ultradeck-timber-decking-stain_p1580776 Bunnings near you they have a waterborne semi this link was charcoal maybe they have other colors.

Last edited:

Back