GENESIS 5000 TIMBER - GREY PAINT OR STAIN?

Yep, I agree, paint on the Durawood slants would provide similar results to paint on the outside of the lid.

Weber stated that Durawood is made from recycled plastic milk jugs ( high density polyethylene ) and HDPE is very difficult to glue, paint, or dye. If you want to have a go at it, cut up a plastic milk jug and experiment with it. Nothing seems to stick to it that I have found.

Well, I can attest that Durawood is extremely adverse to dye. But, I am sure you can slap a coat or two of paint on it....but don't expect it to look good two months later.

Maybe, but I doubt it. I did a test dye a few years ago. I cleaned them very well before hand with either the 3M green scrubbies and bleach or it was steel wool and bleach. That did not help them absorb the dye. I left them in way longer than I would have if I was dying handles or control knobs and they still "just slightly" if at all picked up any dye.

Do they have Home Depot down there? The 8 ounce should do the job for 2 coats if not 2 cans, my friend was charged with picking out the stain and doing the wood pretty sure he only bought an 8 ounce can goes a long way. I think the pewter with the grey lid would be a good combo, yes its a solid stain. At least here pretty inexpensive.

Cheers Brian, we don't have Home Depot down here but we have something similar.

I'll set if I can find a test pot of pewter solid stain and try it out first.

Yeah the redwood stain I use has lasted for ages ha ha, definitely goes a long way!!

Maybe, but I doubt it. I did a test dye a few years ago. I cleaned them very well before hand with either the 3M green scrubbies and bleach or it was steel wool and bleach. That did not help them absorb the dye. I left them in way longer than I would have if I was dying handles or control knobs and they still "just slightly" if at all picked up any dye.
That's enough to convince me it's not worth the effort. Good info Bruce!

Looks great mate, nice timber choice. So the spar urethane gives it a gloss finish and seals it more?

I wonder how it would look over the solid stain.
Exactly, it's a clear coat finish for stained wood that's going to be exposed to the elements. I don't think it would look that great over the gray stain. That's not how the finish was intended to look on those. It was supposed to be a more matte finish. Of course, I could be wrong. The instructions for the product usually give you an idea of what's recommended or not.

Exactly, it's a clear coat finish for stained wood that's going to be exposed to the elements. I don't think it would look that great over the gray stain. That's not how the finish was intended to look on those. It was supposed to be a more matte finish. Of course, I could be wrong. The instructions for the product usually give you an idea of what's recommended or not.
Thanks Mate, it might be worth a trial run just to see how it turns out. I'm going to my local hardware today to have a look at some stain options, I'll look into the urethane also

Well, it's stain so you can test it out on any sort of scrap wood and know what it will look like on your project. I'm 100 % confident that you will make it look really good whatever you come up with.

Well, it's stain so you can test it out on any sort of scrap wood and know what it will look like on your project. I'm 100 % confident that you will make it look really good whatever you come up with.
Thanks Mate, yeah I like to tinker around and do trial and errors to see what works and what doesn't

Do they have Home Depot down there? The 8 ounce should do the job for 2 coats if not 2 cans, my friend was charged with picking out the stain and doing the wood pretty sure he only bought an 8 ounce can goes a long way. I think the pewter with the grey lid would be a good combo, yes its a solid stain. At least here pretty inexpensive.

After doing some research and speaking to a few paint shops, unfortunately we don't have anything close to that product in Australia.

Was reading through the product description, how it's applied, core ingredients etc the closest I'll get is an exterior paint which I can probably try and spray

After doing some research and speaking to a few paint shops, unfortunately we don't have anything close to that product in Australia.

Was reading through the product description, how it's applied, core ingredients etc the closest I'll get is an exterior paint which I can probably try and spray
Spraying will give you a better finish for sure than brushing and experimenting with a urethane finish on top seems to make even more sense .

I wonder if lightly sanding it first would "open up the pores" and help the dye penetrate?
Doubtful. The color is impregnated in the raw mix and then the slurry is cast and baked. The color runs through the entire Durawood. It’s non porous, like Trex Deck, and is built to outlast the grill.

Doubtful. The color is impregnated in the raw mix and then the slurry is cast and baked. The color runs through the entire Durawood. It’s non porous, like Trex Deck, and is built to outlast the grill.
Yeah, Bruce mentioned in this thread that he didn't have much luck in dyeing durawood. I will say this about trex, at least the original trex. My mother in law has a deck made out of it and it has not held up well at all over the last twenty years. The boards swell and warp like crazy, it's extremely porous and would probably take to dye very well. I have no doubt the durawood is better stuff, it has held up much better in about the same time frame and under the same conditions.

Back