Genesis 2000 Restoration

ScottS-FORTX

Howdy all! New to the forum. Been wanting an old Red Head to restore for a while and found one in reasonable condition (working!) on Facebook marketplace for $50. Went and picked it up yesterday. Not in bad shape, will need all the wood replaced and some of the frame. The firebox and lid are in decent shape.

I tore it down and started the some of the cleanup. The red paint is in great shape. A lot of caked on grease, so i'll need to get in there with some oven cleaner. The large grease tray is rusted to hell, any suggestions for a replacement? In addition the mount for the track on one side is broken off, is it possible to weld on a metal stud with a tapped hole in it for the track? I can grind off the old bits and it could possibly accommodate a larger/different tray as well. Some of the 1" cross members are rusted too, but again, I have a welder and that's the easy part!

I'm going to replace the slats with Western Red Cedar, i have some patio chairs i've built and i love the color when they are all sealed up nicely.

Apparently this was converted from NG (manifold swap?), since the serial number starts with KN2 and I has a propane hookup, which is fine because I have plumbed propane.

Very excited for this journey!

Attachments

• 67293853067__6546B6F5-C7C4-48A1-A203-27D913A549B9.jpeg
    67293853067__6546B6F5-C7C4-48A1-A203-27D913A549B9.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4350.jpeg
    IMG_4350.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4351.JPG
    IMG_4351.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 49
Welcome to TVWBB, Scott! Looks like a great project grill that with some hands in work can be made to be a real beauty.

It’s too bad about the large pull out drip tray. About the only source for those is another donor Genesis, or if you are fortunate someone with spare parts they want to sell. I would keep an eye out for a x000 that may have a better tray. They don’t have to be perfect, but one rusted through obviously is not going to be useable.

You can fix the tray rail, possibly by drilling a new hole. Hopefully, @Bruce and some others will weigh in. Some pictures of its current status will help with that.

We will all be pulling for you to give this classic old Genesis a new lease on life. You will definitely enjoy it, not just because it is a great cooker but because of your personal investment of time and effort in bringing it back. Keep the pictures coming so we can share in the journey!

Welcome to TVWBB, Scott! Looks like a great project grill that with some hands in work can be made to be a real beauty.

We will all be pulling for you to give this classic old Genesis a new lease on life. You will definitely enjoy it, not just because it is a great cooker but because of your personal investment of time and effort in bringing it back. Keep the pictures coming so we can share in the journey!
Thank you for the kind words! I am simply riding the coat tails of all the hard work done so far.

I looked at the drip pan and I might be salvageable. I will also keep an eye out for donors. I wonder how feasible cutting, bending, and welding some sheet steel to achieve a similar shape would be.

Glad to have you Scott! I'm sure we all can't wait to see what you do with that classic! As Jon mentioned, you may want to get your hands on a similar grill to use for parts. I noticed that your tank scale is not the correct one for that grill, for example, and the only way to get the right one is from another grill. Don't hesitate to ask questions or post pictures of your progress.

Hi Scott, welcome!

You have the same exact grill that I use. Here's what I did with mine:

https://tvwbb.com/threads/could-not-resist.59970/

The lower drip pan, like the one that slides onto the bottom of the aluminum cook box, those are not available any more, so no matter what condition yours is in, it is definitely worth scrubbing the crap out of it. I use thick stainless steel pads to do that, and they come out fine. They are kind of almost porcelain coated, and the grime that builds up down there gets burned on really hard, so it might seem like the metal is fouled but I have been surprised by how well they actually do scrub out.

If you're all set for propane and you have a pipe for it off of a bulk tank, that's almost like my natural gas setup, but yours will use a propane manifold. Very cool.

Finally, for the frame structure parts, Bruce shows how to replace the crossmember on the top of the frame, then there are several approaches to attach any of the straight bars to each other that work better or worse, depending on how crazy you want to go with it.

Enjoy the process, and if you keep putting pictures up here we will keep cheering you along!

Pan is in reasonable shape. My major repair will be the lower 1” square tube pieces.

4B3EA3F9-B03D-4492-B817-10B2CC28F82E.jpeg

Attachments

• EBDDED0B-206F-4D83-B6DB-12C6B71187F3.jpeg
    EBDDED0B-206F-4D83-B6DB-12C6B71187F3.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 7E0412DE-8856-4BD7-B8B8-E6F582F0C6A1.jpeg
    7E0412DE-8856-4BD7-B8B8-E6F582F0C6A1.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 19
Pan is in reasonable shape. My major repair will be the lower 1” square tube pieces.

View attachment 50031
Pan looks great, that will actually scrub up pretty good. The edges do look like they might be less than perfect, but I still wouldn't throw it out because you can't get that size any more. As for the frame pieces, looks like you have some welding and some of this kind of thing:

Bruce I hope you don't mind me referencing that, but it's an excellent overview for less structurally important frame repairs.

Pan looks great, that will actually scrub up pretty good. The edges do look like they might be less than perfect, but I still wouldn't throw it out because you can't get that size any more. As for the frame pieces, looks like you have some welding and some of this kind of thing:

Bruce I hope you don't mind me referencing that, but it's an excellent overview for less structurally important frame repairs.
This is the exact thing I was going to do. So much excellent work already done by y’all!

The two pieces you have out already look like good candidates for the Bruce treatment, and if there are any breaks where there are welds then those need to be stronger. What ends up happening is you insert these McMaster pieces into the angle iron (you can use new metal instead of the ones you pictured if you're going to paint the frame) and they hold pretty good but not as good as a weld, if that's a broken point you're repairing. When you do that don't do what I did on a recent rehab, and measure the center of the angle iron you're drilling through to make sure it's lined up good when you attach the pieces. I did an imperfect eyeball job on one and it came out less than I could have done had I measured and drilled precisely. Just putting ideas inside your brain for go time.

Thats why I made it up. For people to use and share.

Thought I’d post an update. I’ve got the fire box and lid cleaned up and painted. I cleaned up the frame, welded the rusted out bit, hit with some naval jelly and painted. I’ll probably sand and paint again, lots of debris landed on the paint.

I’m waiting on the bits to mount up the lower supports (1” level nuts), the flavorizor bars, and small wheels. Once I get the frame squared away I can do the wood portion and then I should be done!

Attachments

• 65E65570-D5D9-4209-8070-4BEFF6B3FFE9.jpeg
    65E65570-D5D9-4209-8070-4BEFF6B3FFE9.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 7A07A87A-89D1-45C2-A032-3F89E3052E45.jpeg
    7A07A87A-89D1-45C2-A032-3F89E3052E45.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 27
Level nuts might work, but they are not really what you want to use. They are for the bottom of legs where you screw a foot in to level the unit. They don't have the holding strength that tubing connectors have.
Here are some, but Amazon probably has them as well as well as other sources.

Back