Genesis 2000 Restoration

On my 1998 Platinum 2000, the spacer was on the left side of the cross tube holding the cookbox. I think it is to provide a spacer or heat shield so the durawood does not melt.

You can see the spacer and the warped slat of durawood

edit: so while the intent is to block some heat, it doesn't work that well.

Screenshot_20220514-074959_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Dan I agree, and I think yes that is where and how that part is installed.

I have never seen that part, and I've probably cycled through about 5 Genesis-es.

If I had it I'd put it on, but another alternative is to leave a little space on the side table for that position to keep the slats from contacting the frame.
Or, you could just do what I did and hope for the best. I'm using wood and have not noticed a substantial problem there, but then again my slats are covered in peeling non-spar poly, automotive clear coat and I think maybe some spar on top. They're a mess and I have to get to them.

Perhaps the spacer is a durawood thing. I have two that had durawood that had the spacer, and three or four with wood slats that did not have a spacer.

One of the spacers was rusted beyond any use, and the other is above.

Perhaps the spacer is a durawood thing. I have two that had durawood that had the spacer, and three or four with wood slats that did not have a spacer.

One of the spacers was rusted beyond any use, and the other is above.
You know, this makes a lot of sense. Although, I did just redo a 1000 that had durawood, and it did not have that bracket. But the guy I had gotten it from apparently had done "something" to it over the years, and I don't even know whether that was the original owner. But I like the theory, and it's probably correct.

Do they work to keep the durawood from getting too hot? I realize I'm asking despite the photo of a warped slat

Edit, that 1000's cross bar was rusted to within a hair of metal going across, so it may one day have been there ....

You know, this makes a lot of sense. Although, I did just redo a 1000 that had durawood, and it did not have that bracket. But the guy I had gotten it from apparently had done "something" to it over the years, and I don't even know whether that was the original owner. But I like the theory, and it's probably correct.

Do they work to keep the durawood from getting too hot? I realize I'm asking despite the photo of a warped slat

I haven't cooked on it. It is awaiting resto, but I dont' think the heat shield/spacer works based on the evidence in that pic.

I tried heating the warped slat with a heat gun and it became pliable, but it has memory, and I think it needs to be clamped in place as it cools.

I didn't bother doing this because I picked up a donor with two durawood bottom shelf's in good condition.

Yah, those heat sheilds/spacers are mainly for durawood. I am not sure they even used them on the wood versions. I have never seen a real problem with the wood shelves, but I have seen plenty of the durawood ones either warped or even flat out melted.

mostly done. All that is left is to do the lower shelf.

tODrkyG.jpg

Last edited:
That's looking really nice.

Do you have the front panel that hides the burners and part of the cook box? If no, it might not be too hard to fab one.

It is just a thin sheet of mild steel.

That grill is really coming along nicely! You will be thrilled when you do the bottom shelves.

Are you already using it?

That grill is really coming along nicely! You will be thrilled when you do the bottom shelves.

Are you already using it?
i fired it up, zipped right up to 450 and took a little more time to get to 550. works great! spent my time cleaning and lubricating all the gas valves.

Let me see if I have one loose. I can take a pic and measure. It isn't complicated...
37 wide
4.5 high
slight roll on the bottom edge, and top edge. About a 1/4 inch
bottom rolled edge is 1.25 inches short on both sides
top rolled edges starts 1.25 inches in on the LH side, and stops 9 inches in on the RH side.

If I were making one, I would not bother with a rolled edge on the top, and I think I could get by without a rolled edge on the bottom.

It isn't thick metal. I didn't measure the gauge.

the first pick it is upside down, and looking at the back.

20220516_190631.jpg

This is the front side, right side up.

20220516_190940.jpg

20220516_190743.jpg

Last edited:

Back