Genesis 1000 Flavorizer bar question: how many are needed?

TJ Novicki

Hello, I'm new here and glad to have found the forum. Quick question. Are the two levels of flavorizer bars in the Genesis 1000 really necessary, when other Weber gas grills have only one layer?

Thanks

Hello, I'm new here and glad to have found the forum. Quick question. Are the two levels of flavorizer bars in the Genesis 1000 really necessary, when other Weber gas grills have only one layer?

Thanks

From what I have read other people say it helps with preventing flare ups. I don't have one so I have not experienced this first hand. But many guys on this board have both types of grills and can tell your their experience.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Lots of great people and info here. ;)

I had that thought as well as keeping some drippings from getting to the pan. Perhaps the move to one layer was for cost-savings. We will see. (I did try to search this first without success.)

Welcome to you too Chris.

I now have two 13 bar early genesis grills. At one time I had a silver B genesis which is a 5 bar and a genesis 1000 which is a 13 bar.The 1000 had far fewer flare ups than the silver b other than that they cooked about the same. Both are great grills. That's why I still have my 1000 (now converted to a 2000) that I bought new in 1999.

I had custom bars made for my old Genesis 2 and my dad's Genesis 2000 which eliminated 1 row. I actually still had another set brand new and put them into the Genesis 2000 I picked up last fall that Bruce put me on to. Long story short it does work better with the larger taller single row. Flare ups are the same. No less no more. However heat stability from side to side and front to back is better overall. As for how much "grease" gets into the lower part. Here too it's the same. Overall IMO the trade off was worth it. YMMV but overall I am quite pleased. The hard part will be finding someone to make them for you

I own a 1000 and a silver A (one row of bars). My opinion is that you could get by with one row in the 1000. But it was designed to have 2 rows and I think performance would be somewhat better with both. Comparing my two grills they are similar in performance but the 1000 flares up a little less and the A heats up a little faster.

Lmichaels that's really interesting about the larger taller row. If you needed flavorizer bars and had someone who could make them that would be worth exploring.

Well the thing is I did back about 1998 or so and I was telling my dad my idea after I saw the new models. He said draw them up. I did and he had his friend make IIRC 4 sets.Maybe 4. One set is in my old Genesis 2/3, another in my 2000 that Bruce turned me onto in Sun Prairie WI and another in my dad's Gen 2000. I also have a full set of normal ones his friend made. All out of 300 series SS. He also made some front panels for me out of 300 series to replace the ones that always rust out on the Gen 2xxx and up grills to cover the front of the cook box. They really dress it up. Thankfully I have one extra of those for my 2000 here at the house

No offense to anyone but I really don't see the point of having a custom set of bars made for a 13 bar grill at what cost would that be.

It looks like Larry got a deal on someone making them for him but if you wanted a 5 bar grill just buy a 5 bar grill. Why screw around with what Weber designed in on the 13 bar grills. Yes I get it they went to 5 bars but does that mean they thought it was a better design maybe or maybe not how about saving money on a shallower fire box and 8 less bars and that would be my guess why they did it.

I just like the 13 bars. I feel like the heat is more even, and like flare ups almost never happen. I was just at a lake house where there was I think a char broil grill, and it was flaming the heck out of everything I put on it except hot dogs. I just like having the 13 bars. Two cents.

Slainte!

Tim

13 > 5

I just got a 13 bar (gen1 genny from 1985) and LOVE IT so far. It's still clean & new so can't really compare flare-ups yet, but just the other day I had 2 pieces of bacon on the warming rack (was cooking skirt steak), when I saw the bacon wasn't going to be done as fast as the skirt, I put it direct on the grates & no flare-ups at all. The 5 bars on the bottom seem identical on my silver b & G1 Genny, the only difference seems to be the deeper cookbox & of course the N-S smaller bars. What they seem to do is vaporize much more of the drippings.

The 13 bar design, if I'm right, will require more cleaning - more "stuff" will vaporize or get trapped on the flavorizer bars rather than hitting the bottom pan; I've already noticed a little buildup after <10 small cooks.

My Silver B - I have to give very specific warnings to people when they use it, and it'll still catch fire (warm up on high for 5 min, then switch to med).

As for stainless availability - I know a couple of stainless fabricator shops that work on restaurant equipment (tables, freezer doors, grills, hoods, etc) - they've made some intricate brackets and other cheap/easy parts for me. I'd be happy to ask for a quote or you could call and ask for a quote from Mountain Stainless , just have the measurements available, maybe a quick/easy drawing or image to email.

*****has anyone seen the grills at El Pollo Loco? I'd imagine they're similar to what RC P buyer is selling, and I bet Mtn Stainless (or a stainless fab shop near you) could make some Kick-A grates.

Last edited:
I only pull the extra 8 bars on mine when I am using the rotisserie and/or the smoker box. I think it gives a better heat distribution with all 13. General grilling, I use them all.

No offense to anyone but I really don't see the point of having a custom set of bars made for a 13 bar grill at what cost would that be.

It looks like Larry got a deal on someone making them for him but if you wanted a 5 bar grill just buy a 5 bar grill. Why screw around with what Weber designed in on the 13 bar grills. Yes I get it they went to 5 bars but does that mean they thought it was a better design maybe or maybe not how about saving money on a shallower fire box and 8 less bars and that would be my guess why they did it.

Brian I am not advocating anyone makes a 13 into a 5. It would be prohibitively expensive to have that custom work done. I did it as an experiment based on a call I had a long time ago with a Weber support rep. Who was telling me they found the grills cook much more evenly if the top row was taken out. So seeing as how my own grill needed new bars (the original bars were rusted badly) I was telling this to my dad who had bought a Genesis 2000 about a year after I bought my Genesis 2. He talked to his friend and his friend made 2 sets of normal sized bars and 3 (maybe 4 memory fades LOL) of bars that fit the holders built into the grills but would convert the grill to 5 bars. I am here to tell you when I converted the grills to 5 bar I never did use the 13 bar sets because the grills performed better overall what with 13. You may not like that, and that's OK. My set of 13 bars is still shiny new because the 5 performed so well. It gave the grill a slight performance boost and made the temps more even. Again both not HUGE degrees but enough to notice but certainly not enough that I would pay for it/them. So don't knock it I have used 2 different 13 bar grills side by side with both layouts and in 5 bar they perform better. If they didn't I could simply reinstall 13 bars since they're sitting here. But again would I recommend someone pay big $$$$ to have them made? No. I was simply reporting on an experiment I did MANY years ago that worked

Part of it boils down to if you want a early Genesis with wood or durawood slats you get a deep box and 13 bars with the slivers you get a short box and 5 bars. If you cook a lot of greasy foods such as chicken or burgers you will be much better off with a deep box. I can cook eight to ten burgers at once on my 2000 and get little to no flareups. My silver would turn into an inferno with that load.
Clean up on a deep box will only take a few minutes longer, really a non issue.

Rich I agree the cleanup is just a few minutes longer. But when you work 50+ hours a week and are basically on call 24/7 those minutes are hardly a non issue. Every free moment is precious to me.

That being said I love my deep box genesis 1000. Best grill I've owned.

Rich I agree the cleanup is just a few minutes longer. But when you work 50+ hours a week and are basically on call 24/7 those minutes are hardly a non issue. Every free moment is precious to me.

That being said I love my deep box genesis 1000. Best grill I've owned.

I remember those days. When I retired from AT&T I was called back as a contractor to mentor six new central office supervisors. I was on call 24/7 for a year, no vacations or days off. I worked at the offices that each had doing the required training My days were at least 14 hours because I was training two of them for the evening shifts. Start at 6am get off sometime around 8pm. I did have Saturday and Sunday off but usually on the phone for hours helping whoever had the weekend duty.
It paid well this was in 2001 I was making $2100 a week. But it D**N near killed me.

Last edited:
Brian I am not advocating anyone makes a 13 into a 5. It would be prohibitively expensive to have that custom work done. I did it as an experiment based on a call I had a long time ago with a Weber support rep. Who was telling me they found the grills cook much more evenly if the top row was taken out. So seeing as how my own grill needed new bars (the original bars were rusted badly) I was telling this to my dad who had bought a Genesis 2000 about a year after I bought my Genesis 2. He talked to his friend and his friend made 2 sets of normal sized bars and 3 (maybe 4 memory fades LOL) of bars that fit the holders built into the grills but would convert the grill to 5 bars. I am here to tell you when I converted the grills to 5 bar I never did use the 13 bar sets because the grills performed better overall what with 13. You may not like that, and that's OK. My set of 13 bars is still shiny new because the 5 performed so well. It gave the grill a slight performance boost and made the temps more even. Again both not HUGE degrees but enough to notice but certainly not enough that I would pay for it/them. So don't knock it I have used 2 different 13 bar grills side by side with both layouts and in 5 bar they perform better. If they didn't I could simply reinstall 13 bars since they're sitting here. But again would I recommend someone pay big $$$$ to have them made? No. I was simply reporting on an experiment I did MANY years ago that worked

Larry I was out of line nothing wrong with your experiment if it works and you are happy with the results who am I to be critical. And of course sharing this kind of stuff is great for the board gives you new ideas.

I found this exchange pretty interesting. I have always thought almost everyone preferred 13 bars. A couple years ago I picked up one of my first OfferUp grill purchases. It was a cheap 1000 with the hideous hood that had been painted flat black but which I uncoated to find a beautiful maroon color. Old post from Christmas 2016.

k9w6kh.jpg

34gx4dz.jpg

2zq7621.jpg

Anyway, this, of course, had the deep box, so I was surprised to find five very unusual stainless flavorizer bars inside. As has been described, they fit in the bottom row but were almost twice as tall as normal. I didn’t know what to make of them at the time, but after disassembling the grill I kept these figuring that someday they might come in handy. Sounds like maybe they are more useful and valuable than I would have thought:eek:!

I will try to dig these out of my mountain of parts and post a picture soon.

Last edited:
I remember those days. When I retired from AT&T I was called back as a contractor to mentor six new central office supervisors. I was on call 24/7 for a year, no vacations or days off. I worked at the offices that each had doing the required training My days were at least 14 hours because I was training two of them for the evening shifts. Start at 6am get off sometime around 8pm. I did have Saturday and Sunday off but usually on the phone for hours helping whoever had the weekend duty.
It paid well this was in 2001 I was making $2100 a week. But it D**N near killed me.

You had it worse than me. I do get to take vacations. And off most weekends but have to be available to my staff by phone as needed even through those weekends and vacations. But I do get paid well and its rewarding work. But I am looking forward to retirement in a few years.

Back