Genesis 1 Restoration

Kurt Donnelly

TVWBB Member
So, in considering the time of year, I'll wait 'til fall/winter for the full restoration of my Genesis 1. (I'd actually do the whole resto now / all at once but for the several other unfinished projects wifey's on me about). Meanwhile I've cleaned it up a little, and picked up enough parts to make it fully functional again, including new porcelain coated flavorizers and a drip tray assembly. The porcelain coated grates are still serviceable and will get me through the summer, I'm inclined to replace them with cast iron when the time comes.

In the meantime, I'd like to get the wood for the side tray and handle. The handle is past its prime, and some of the tray slats are beyond repair. Would prefer not to rip new boards to the proper height/width, unless necessary. Is there a source for these slats/strips, "pre-dimensioned"? I thought I saw mention of it here but can't find it now. I'd like to use a hardwood but I've also seen reference here to durawood and I'll be glad to use that, vs losing another finger on the table saw.

The other tricky part is the bottom tray, which is rusted through in one spot but otherwise restorable. The tray seems to be unavailable, so I'm considering sandwiching the tray with a couple of sheet metal patches and riveting them in place, then repaint the whole thing with a high temp paint.

btw this compiled resto guide is great! https://tvwbb.com/threads/from-drab-to-fab-putting-together-a-how-to-restoration-guide.69605/
Appreciate any thoughts or insight on this dragged-out resto, thanks.

1714055832789.png1714056633056.png

Patching that bottom tray would probably work, or you can find a donor grill for a better one. I can help you with the handle, just message me.

I would not paint in there. That area has high heat and paint (even high heat type) should NOT be inside the cooking area

I would not paint in there. That area has high heat and paint (even high heat type) should NOT be inside the cooking area
But...it's painted now...came that way from the factory...?
Replacement trays for other models also appear to be painted.
It's the tray below the cook box. I can paint just the outside for appearance, but I think it's painted all sides, for rust protection?
Unless it's ceramic, which might be the case but at first glance it just looks like paint on mine.
Here's a similar pan, still available for other models
1714061935753.png

They're not painted. They're porcelain coated. Whole nother animal there. Keep paint outside of your cooking chamber

Patching that bottom tray would probably work, or you can find a donor grill for a better one. I can help you with the handle, just message me.
I like the idea of a donor grill. The Genesis 1 seems to be rare, does the Genesis 1000 pan fit the Genesis 1?
19-3/4" x 13-1/2"

They're not painted. They're porcelain coated. Whole nother animal there. Keep paint outside of your cooking chamber
Yep. Just got a better look at it, thanks for the heads up. The hole's in the back, the outside is mostly rust free, think I'll just clean it up, patch it and forget it 'til I can find a donor replacement. One of the rails is shot, too; this will be a fun little project. Keeping an eye on Craigslist now for one to cannibalize. Thanks again.

Any Genesis (real Genesis) 1, 2, 3, 4 etc or any X000 Genesis pan will work on it. Or you can get a sheet of either aluminum or stainless steel, cut to fit and rivet in. Should hold up fine

Nice looking Genesis 1, Kurt! I don't have anything to add to your thread other than I'm in about the same place as you! :) All I've done with this one so far is swapped the grates (I had some Dave Santana stainless grates available), and the regulator. My drip pan is in a bit better shape than yours, and I think I can salvage the wood. I think I'll probably cook on it this summer, then work on making it pretty again. Good luck with yours!

1714067223940.png

Nice looking Genesis 1, Kurt! I don't have anything to add to your thread other than I'm in about the same place as you! :) All I've done with this one so far is swapped the grates (I had some Dave Santana stainless grates available), and the regulator. My drip pan is in a bit better shape than yours, and I think I can salvage the wood. I think I'll probably cook on it this summer, then work on making it pretty again. Good luck with yours!

View attachment 89799
Your handle and table elements look to be in pretty good shape, hopefully just need a sanding and staining. Mine are pretty well gone.
The catch pan hanger on mine was also too far gone, I've already replaced that. The new one has a wider hanging bracket and also came with disposable foil trays.
I've realized doing this full restore will cost nearly as much as a new Weber of the same size. But that wouldn't be as much fun, would it?

You can use cedar 1X2 boards from the big box stores, but you will have to either plane or aggressively sand them to get them to the slightly lower profile.

There are some people selling reproduction handles if you feel you can't sand down the original handle well enough. Do some searches on this board and you should find a source for the handles.

What is your location? I just picked up a 98 Spirit off the side of the road with one wire rack for the bottom. Its a little rusty but looks like it could clean up nice.
The existing Genesis 1 rack is 26" end to end, 24" rack with the 1" hangers on each side. Is the Spirit rack the same size?
I'm in NH.

Back