Genesis 1 Restoration

I painted the firebox and end caps with this product. Also did the top frame bracket, and used what was left on some of the small parts. The can says heat curing is required "for surfaces that exceed 500°F."

I figure the firebox will self cure with a good preliminary burn, as I think I've seen in these pages. What about the frame and small parts, will this paint hold up if they're not heat cured? Wifey's not too keen on me baking parts in her oven :oops:

View attachment 95188
I always paint the frames with that paint and they hold up fine, just like a regular spray paint.

I always paint the frames with that paint and they hold up fine, just like a regular spray paint.
Thanks. I've seen some concerns & complaints on other sites, about lack of durability because it never fully dries, thus allowing moisture to penetrate and cause peeling or bubbling. Like so much else with this resto, I'm probably just over thinking it. I'll use the last can and finish out the rest of the frame. I like the semi-gloss finish more then I thought I would; the box looks awesome. Won't be long now...

Thanks. I've seen some concerns & complaints on other sites, about lack of durability because it never fully dries, thus allowing moisture to penetrate and cause peeling or bubbling.
Like all paint jobs, it's all in the prep work. If you know you spent way more time sanding and cleaning that frame than painting it you can probably rest easy. It's the people that think they can just take something and spray paint it that end up complaining about the results. It's like that with lots of things, a lot of the bad reviews are from people that really didn't know what they were doing to begin with. I can think of specific examples of this but won't bore anyone with them, I'm sure you get it.

Like all paint jobs, it's all in the prep work. If you know you spent way more time sanding and cleaning that frame than painting it you can probably rest easy. It's the people that think they can just take something and spray paint it that end up complaining about the results. It's like that with lots of things, a lot of the bad reviews are from people that really didn't know what they were doing to begin with. I can think of specific examples of this but won't bore anyone with them, I'm sure you get it.
Hmm...I replied from my phone but must have purged it before posting.
Anyways, it's pretty well prepped. I was pleased to find very little rust, mostly at the joints and all taken care of with a wire brush and a wipe down. Cleaned it all up with dawn and simple green, rinsed thoroughly, scuffed lightly, then applied the paint. Wifey doesn't want me using her oven, so I'm baking the small parts now before she wakes up. If y'all don't hear back from me you'll know why...

Small parts could be baked inside the grill as well. But, yah, you did fine on the paint job. Most parts, other than the cook box and end caps will never hit 500 degrees anyway.

Back