Genesis 1 Restoration

Since this resto is a bit "piecemeal", I'll post some bits now, and maybe create a new consolidated thread when it's complete.
Here she is before any work. Firebox needs painting. Side table slats are beyond repair. Handle is hanging on but should be replaced. Thermo is shot. Control panel is in pretty good shape. Knobs are filthy. The push button has never been in place, the entire assembly was removed. Lid is in pretty good shape outside but in need of a good cleaning. No pics of the inside before initial cleaning, but it had at least a decade of carbon buildup. Flavor bars are completely shot. Grates are dirty but usable. Burners are in remarkably good shape; surface rust only. Drip tray is rusted through in one spot, but salvageable. Drip pan holder was barely hanging on. Both wire racks are in good condition. Frame is pretty good with only a couple of rusty spots, no evident structural issues.

So all in all, a typical 30+ year old Weber. Appears to be pre 1994 based on the S/N, which does not align with the post 1994 date code scheme.
1714172100180.png

Here are some of the parts, as found

Attachments

• Tray.jpg
    Tray.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 5
  • rails.jpg
    rails.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 5
  • hanger.jpg
    hanger.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 4
  • bars & hanger.jpg
    bars & hanger.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 5
And some cleaned up items, including new (used) knobs and the push button.

Attachments

• Panel renewed.jpg
    Panel renewed.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 6
  • knobs.jpg
    knobs.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 8
  • inner lid, brushed.jpg
    inner lid, brushed.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Lid cleaned.jpg
    Lid cleaned.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 9
  • inner lid, semi-cleaned.jpg
    inner lid, semi-cleaned.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Inner lid, scraped.jpg
    Inner lid, scraped.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 7
Handle & slats are on order. In the end, there will be some re-cleaning, depending how long before I can do the full disassembly and paintjob. But I'm pleased with the results so far and excited for the final product, even if it does involve a little rework. The overall cost will be comparable to purchasing a new grill. But that's not the point here, is it?

Last edited:
The existing Genesis 1 rack is 26" end to end, 24" rack with the 1" hangers on each side. Is the Spirit rack the same size?
I'm in NH.
I thought that generation of spirit shares a cook box with the genesis. I got it for the durawood table and folding table to put on my genesis 2. I’m in southern Wisconsin.

I beleive Weber replaced that generation of Genesis with the 1000-5000 generation in about 1990, so your grill is probably an 80's vintage.

Keep going on the inside of that lid until it looks new again.View attachment 89893View attachment 89894
Thanks, I plan to. I'll remove it and give it a good once-over, and clean up the sides a little more, too.
Sadly, mine looked worse than that. I'm almost glad I didn't take a picture, it's embarrassing how long I let it go. Hopefully all that carbon falling on my hamburgers was good for me.

Last edited:
Thanks, I plan to. I'll remove it and give it a good once-over, and clean up the sides a little more, too.
Are you going to repaint the lid end caps? If so, you're probably better off removing them from the lid. Makes it easier to clean everything and repaint.

Are you going to repaint the lid end caps? If so, you're probably better off removing them from the lid. Makes it easier to clean everything and repaint.
I will definitely disassemble it. I plan to pull the firebox from the frame and paint the box components and frame separately. Also the wire racks. I'll be reviewing these threads for the degreasing techniques and paint selections as well. My spray painting skills will be put to the test, but I think I can pull it off.

Find a local shop with a bead blasting cabinet, that likes to do work for cash. Getting the lid end caps blasted clean and spraying them with fresh paint is so satisfying.

Do not paint inside the cook box or end caps.
Outsides only.
Will clean the insides, to bare metal if it's not too tedious. Already cleaned up one side a little, while still attached, so the effort looks like it will be manageable. We'll see what I'm up for once the Box is removed. Might even get them blasted if the mood is still upon me by the time I get there.

Back