GAS-ASSIST Performer Users....

Yeah, the smell would be a nice side affect, okay I'll give it a try, but to do all this I'll have to put my beer down and that may not work out so well.:rolleyes:

Put your beer down??? C'mon Rich! Use your head!!!

beer-hat-beer-helmet-pic-8.jpg

If mine was "new enough" to have the gas assist, it do it in a heartbeat, fantastic idea! I use the newspaper, it's the only thing other than fish wrap that it's good for!
Have a lovely day!

Wow! I didn't know that they got The Milwaukee Journal in Kalamazoo!
(BTW - It's also good for lining Bird Cages...)

I just keep my paper towels that I used to wipe out skillets in an old milk jug. Take one out a wad it up under the chimney. Bacon grease soaked paper towl works excellent as a fire starter.

Wow! I didn't know that they got The Milwaukee Journal in Kalamazoo!
(BTW - It's also good for lining Bird Cages...)

Don't get the "Journal" but I have the excellent fish wrap known as the "Kalamazoo Gazette".
Does everyone feel that way about local newspapers?

I just set up my chimney as if i were going to use a lighter (newspaper & coals), light the burner for what is supposed to be for the 10 seconds it takes for the paper to get going. I then proceed to get distracted by one of the kids, the dog, my wife, etc. and come back 10 minutes later to turn it off or curse the universe that the tank is empty ;)

Most of the time I just chunk them on there,But if you want to smoke or slow cook I use the baskets,set off to the side and only lite the bottom layers,let the heat from the bottom lite the rest slowly ,I use a hot loop from walmart to lite my cowboy grill when I need to do a bunch of stuff at 1 time,

I'm bringing up an older tip here but for those of us who use the chimney, if you reverse the bottom grill/holder on the chimney, it get the coals much closer to the gas assist and you have the advantage of using more charcoal if you need it.

I have two Performers. One is gas assist and one is not. Using the gas assist, I set a timer for three minutes, then dump the chimney when a total of 20 minutes elapses. When I don't use the gas assist, I use one Weber fire starter cube on top of an empty tuna can. I light the cube, set the chimney on the top and wait a total of twenty minutes to dump the lit chimney. As a possible matter of interest, using Home Depot's price ($3.29 for 24 cubes) it costs $0.14 (14 cents) the light the fire. That's pretty dern cheap for me and I much prefer it to using newspaper that makes ashes that blow everywhere.

But, that's just me...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Dale, you need to get the Kalamazoo Gazette! There's so little news in it it burns almost completely!
A friend uses brown grocery bags and says they burn almost totally!

Back