Fundraiser for Steve Dixon: Weber Owner & Middletown Fire Victim

Here's the final tally of the Steve Dixon Fundraiser:

stevedixon_zpsph8p59c3.jpg

I want to offer my sincere thanks to the 53 people that made donations, for opening up your hearts and your wallets to help a fellow Weber owner in need. You went above and beyond my initial goal and I appreciate that so much! I will be making arrangements to get these donations to Steve and his family and I'll pass along details of that as soon as possible.

Chris

Great job Chris thanks for taking the effort to do this it was above and beyond. Barb and I wish Steve and his family the very best.

I'm scheduled to meet Steve Dixon on Sunday, November 15 to present to him all of your donations. I'll be sure to post some photos. Looking forward to meeting him in person.

I'm scheduled to meet Steve Dixon on Sunday, November 15 to present to him all of your donations. I'll be sure to post some photos. Looking forward to meeting him in person.

So? How did it go? Speaking for those who donated and are anxious to hear how Steve and his family are doing, we'd love to see some pics and get an update! ;)

I had the great privilege of meeting Steve Dixon and his wife Denise last Sunday to present them with a check for $1,645 from the members of The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board. I also gave Steve one of our TVWBB t-shirts.

IMG_6436_zps2vxqpw2f.jpg

IMG_6439_zpshsyflm4m.jpg

That's my dad, Gary, on the left and Denise Dixon on the right. My dad road shotgun with me on the trip to Middletown.

Steve and Denise have moved into a fifth wheel trailer and are living on their property next to their burned-out home. They've got sewer, water, and electricity connections but no internet service and are hoping to get that soon. The next step is to get a property inspection and environmental hazardous sign-off from the county this week. They're looking for signs of asbestos, heavy metals, and other hazardous stuff that needs careful removal. With that sign-off in hand, the lot can be cleared in preparation for rebuilding. Then it's all about architectural design, building permits, contractors, construction, etc.

If you've ever visited the Napa Valley/St. Helena/Calistoga wine country, you know it's one of the most beautiful places on earth. Middletown is located 17 miles north of Calistoga. As you drive along windy, two-lane Highway 29 over Mt. St. Helena, you don't see any signs of the fire. We pulled into Middletown and only saw small patches of burned grass on the side of the road. When we turned onto the road leading to Steve and Denise's house, we started seeing burned trees that had been cut down and some houses burned to the ground, but other houses that were completely untouched. When we got to Steve's house, everything on the property was completely burned to the ground, except for a chicken coop and a few small trees. But the house next door was intact as were some other nearby homes. Burning embers blew in and lit the house and property on fire, leaving surrounding homes untouched.

However, when you looked to the north and west, as far as you could see was complete devastation. Everything was burned, all the hillsides, all the trees, all the houses. All gone. 2,000 homes destroyed. Sadly, we learned that not only did Steve and Denise lose their home, but Steve's brother and Denise's mother lost their homes, too.

So it was great to meet Steve and Denise and talk with them and see their determination to bounce back and rebuild, having been a part of this community for over 30 years, but also depressing to see so much devastation and loss. Some like Steve will stay and rebuild and start a new chapter in Middletown, but some are leaving to start a new chapter elsewhere because the beauty that attracted them to the area is gone and will never be the same in their lifetimes.

Here are some photos I took of the damage at Steve's house. He lost his gas grill and his Weber Performer was badly burned, but his Weber smoker was basically OK except for melted door and lid handles. Their chickens survived as did their cats, so they're grateful for that.

And again, I want to thank each of you who donated to this worthy cause. You make me proud to be part of this online community.

IMG_6421_zpsxaigq8fo.jpg

IMG_6422_zpsswcprb4v.jpg

IMG_6423_zpspvc6tivf.jpg

IMG_6424_zpsbjrwkvv4.jpg

IMG_6425_zpsdjmhd7lt.jpg

IMG_6426_zpsnyb2yqpo.jpg

IMG_6427_zps20cexexl.jpg

IMG_6428_zpstna0vb4r.jpg

Talk about total destruction, how sad it is to see that. Hopefully all will go well and they will be back in there new home in a very short time.
Thanks again Chris for doing all you did to help them out, for Barb and I it was an honor to be a part of it.

Good to see those smiling faces, hard to look at the pictures that follow.
Thank you Chris for setting up the fundraiser and allowing us to help out a fellow Weber enthusiast.

and tell pop that he could pass for your brother. :)

It's inspiring to see the Dixon family's resilience and determination. I'm glad our small gesture could give him something smile about. Much love and support as you rebuild, Mr. Dixon!

More good news in the Steve Dixon story. I spoke with him last night. His property has been cleared and is ready for new construction. During the process, they sifted through several areas of debris and recovered his mother's wedding ring, a family heirloom.

Since we closed our fundraiser in October, there have been two new donations to Steve and his family. A TVWBB member donated a brand new, in-the-box Weber Performer Deluxe to Steve. Another TVWBB member, seeing my photos of melted WSM handles, commissioned custom Marty Leach AMLWoodArt.com walnut lid and access door handles for Steve's 22.5" WSM.

IMG_6473_zpsdosrphal.jpg

I marvel at the generosity of our members!

Best,
Chris

Back