Fun way to cook rib eyes

BrianCal

TVWBB Pro
Tried a pretty cool Bobby Flay method on Rib Eyes, was fun and easy

First, a few beautiful cuts of meat, seasoned with plenty of S&P

20160319_212643_zpslxknui1i.jpg

Did a fast sear (about one minute per side) on the Performer to crust the outsides

20160319_213159_zps4tbzlloa.jpg

And another pic since we are all secret pyros

20160319_213308_zpsf18molmy.jpg

Took them off and cut them into about 1 inch wide strips, while still basically raw on the inside. In the meantime I had been heating my CI skillets on the gasser, so they were red hot.

Put the cut strips into the CI and put them back on the grill with a stick of butter chunked onto each steak. Don't have a great pic of this as I was working fast, burning my hands on the CI and cooling them off with some chilled vodka....

20160319_214535_zpsozjvg3qt.jpg

Cooked them covered for a few minutes, then took them off, with the browned, melted butter in the pans

20160319_214636_zpsima71kn9.jpg

And no, that's not on the ground, that is a pile of extra bricks I need to get rid of, but make a super convenient outdoor counter

When I plated them, I crumbled some nice french bleu cheese (don't remember the name, but I chose it because it was more salty than bitter) over the pices, then spooned the browned butter back over the top, which melted the cheese and of course added amazing flavor

20160319_214932_zpshee0l6nc.jpg

Didn't get a great plating shot, but here it is ready to be served, and you can just see the bottom of a nice Long Island Cabernet Franc that we drank with it.

20160319_215056_zpsqw5dzwxq.jpg

Also saved a few bits without the cheese, in case people wanted it straight up

20160319_215100_zpscpce3nlq.jpg

Looks very good BrianCal. Ribeyes, butter and bleu cheese, three of my favorite things.

It tasted AMAZING, but if I do it again I would take it off just a minute or three earlier. So used to letting it rest after it comes off, but didn't account for the residual heat in the CI pans (and man were they CRAZY hot, could still feel the burn through two insulated gloves). But it was still tender and juicy, I'm sure helped by cooking out enough fat and replacing it with the butter.

Will definitely do it again, but thinking my doctor would probably recommend not more than 2x per year......

That is definitely it, I DVR'd the show and re-watched it right before cooking, was pretty simple to do.

Brain, that is one outstanding cook. Your plated pic is fantastic and I'd take a plate of that anytime. Awesome job.

Wife wants to try it with filet mignons, not my preference but thinking the butter and bleu may add in enough flavor to make it work

Back