Fugly Fish, Great Dish

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Picked up some fresh off the boat Monk Fish today, was there when my Monger sliced the fillets off the tail end. One ugly son of a gun. Made a seasoning for the fish, Salt, Lemon Zest, and fresh Rosemary diced up fine and into the Mortar.

DSC00904_zps1266998f.jpg

DSC00905_zps62280c8d.jpg

Dressed the Monk and into the fridge for a couple of hours. The salt helps draw out excess moisture in the fish

DSC00906_zpsd0d310d1.jpg

Made a sauce for the fish, Parsley, one can of black olives chopped up, garlic, celery, fire roasted diced tomato drained, Kosher and fresh ground. Juice of one lemon added and then enough EVOO to get a Salsa consistency.

DSC00907_zps4a81585b.jpg

Fish patted dry and kind of rubbed some of the salt seasoning off at the same time, dressed with EVOO. I put the fish on a grate elevated as Monk Fish releases a lot of water when it cooks and you do not want it steaming in it's own juices.
Just nice and flaky and ready to go

DSC00912_zps3b078a83.jpg

While I was there they just got in some Blue Points, picked up and shucked them at home. Good stuff

DSC00910_zps043421a7.jpg

On the table, your plate. The sauce really makes this dish though the Fugly Fish was superb. Mashed on the side

DSC00913_zps9a7485b2.jpg

I agree Bill, Monk fish is fugly, its been called poor mans lobster for a reason as it's very tasty.

Ill take a plate of that goodness for sure.

Love me some monkfish.
You are right they are ugly but one of the tastiest.
Is tapenade a bad word?... J/K. "Sauce". :p

Life looks tough in NJ....not! :D

After Mahi, monkfish is my favourite. I'd choose it over lobster any day!

I'm not a fan of oysters. So I'll have a bit more of that monkfish please......;)

Beautiful looking meal Bill.
(I need to take photography lessons).

Last edited:
Looks great, Bill. Love following the process step by step with you.

I'd also take the platter of Blue Points as an appetizer.

Great looking meal! The wife and I are heading to the beach in a week and can't wait to bring home some Yaquina Bay Oysters and hopefully a few of these ugly guys!

4938970499_a6d2a1d778_b.jpg

I don't remember ever having Monk fish, so I don't think I have. I'll be lookin' for 'em.
Bring on the oysters! Great post Bill.

Bill, pigs aren't pretty either, but we all eet'em! :p
These last two photos... could certainly be my last meal.

DSC00910_zps043421a7.jpg

DSC00913_zps9a7485b2.jpg

Awesome job Bill! I love monkfish and will be trying this rub on it!

Send over some oysters!

Daum

Back