Fridge getting old.......REALLY old

I DO NOT have the DID (door in door) unit in my new home, but in my old home. Note, the old unit never gave us issues but my post herein is about this model:

We opted for no DID as we say little value in it over time.

This new unit, is larger than our previous DID model and this new one keeps temps incredibly well.

You can click on the ALL SPECS to see what's in the unit.
Of note, the compressor is a Smart Inverter.

Here's an explanation of this inverter:

Specifically:

"A smart inverter compressor uses variable speed technology to adjust the cooling capacity according to the cooling demand, resulting in energy efficiency and precise temperature control. This allows the compressor to operate at different speeds, consuming less energy when the cooling demand is low and ramping up to full capacity when needed.

On the other hand, a linear compressor operates at a constant speed, leading to consistent cooling but potentially higher energy consumption. However, linear compressors are known for their durability and quiet operation.

In summary, the key distinction is that smart inverter compressors offer energy efficiency through variable speed operation, while linear compressors operate at a constant speed."

We bought this model because I wanted more size (interior for fridge and freeezer) and that it's handle-less. So it presents itself as a smooth flat face that doesn't grab your clothing when walking by. It has built in top-of-door handles and bottom-of-door handles (the fridge doors).

The freezer opens with a pinch press of your fingers at the top of the freezer slide drawer.

It also has sensing technology the the fridge illuminates when you approach it. This is a nice feature for evenings when you dim your house lights.

And the ice it makes, which is HUGE for us because we like ice, are those 4 versions; craft round balls, chips (small cubes), regular in-door cubes and crushed (in door has the crushed option).

I've been happy with both LG fridges for the past almost-five-years now.

Costco has this for a great deal right now PLUS you get a free 6 cu ft unit too for the garage (or friend or sell it or kids or whatever):

View attachment 92204

View attachment 92205
here's the Costco link:

Well I could not even consider that one anyway as it shows not available for order in my zip code :( So cannot even consider it

I saw this. I've now looked closely at those in person and honestly like the layouts. I looked long and hard today at LG as well. I just can't get past their sticking with that linear compressor. Scares me still. I looked as well at a KitchenAid and GE. Could not see a "made in" on the GE but could on the KA. USA (at least assembly). Also I discovered a huge thing on the LG, GE, KA. The Through the door ice/water is not inside the fridge like the ones on Samsung. They're isolated directly inside the door. Completely isolated from the fridge box. So maybe they will not be the big issues, as trying to keep something very cold, dry and frozen in a separate box inside the fridge cavity.
Hmmm

I saw this. I've now looked closely at those in person and honestly like the layouts. I looked long and hard today at LG as well. I just can't get past their sticking with that linear compressor. Scares me still. I looked as well at a KitchenAid and GE. Could not see a "made in" on the GE but could on the KA. USA (at least assembly). Also I discovered a huge thing on the LG, GE, KA. The Through the door ice/water is not inside the fridge like the ones on Samsung. They're isolated directly inside the door. Completely isolated from the fridge box. So maybe they will not be the big issues, as trying to keep something very cold, dry and frozen in a separate box inside the fridge cavity.
Hmmm
with almost 5 years of LG in-door ice-making experience under my belt, i can report zero problems occurred.

however, with my former KA, for 8 years i had nothing but problems and issues. and KA still uses the same design on the french door units today as the failed unit i had. i'd personally never buy a KA with their current design for chilled air being snorkeled from the freezer into a box on the fridge door. horrible design that failed completely.

I would prefer to not spend a bunch of money as I do not want, WiFi, camera, dual use drawers etc.
Don't wanna get busted? ;)

We've had a 22 cu. ft. bottom freezer Amana for a number of years now. Every so often - like tonight, in fact - I have to empty the freezer, remove the rear panel and manually defrost the coils and fins. Apparently ours was an early model and the freezer duct tube wasn't very well designed, and water can back up. Usually I just have to pry the ice sheet off the freezer floor, but eventually the hardware ices up and the first sign is that the fridge runs warm.

Last edited:
I think you are on the right track. Avoiding the thru the door ice/water will eliminate most of the problems. Looks similar to the LG I bought last year to replace the Samsung. i went with the single drawer because it offered slightly more freezer space. The sliding drawer in the larger bottom drawer seems to serve the same purpose. It is working out great,

Don't wanna get busted? ;)

We've had a 22 cu. ft. bottom freezer Amana for a number of years now. Every so often - like tonight, in fact - I have to empty the freezer, remove the rear panel and manually defrost the coils and fins. Apparently ours was an early model and the freezer duct tube wasn't very well designed, and water can back up. Usually I just have to pry the ice sheet off the freezer floor, but eventually the hardware ices up and the first sign is that the fridge runs warm.
There is a updated drain kit for that problem, on the back in the compressor compartment you have a rubber tube thats about 3", that gets pulled off and a new older style S trap is installed. The rubber tube gets sticky when it degrades, been fixing fridges since 98 for sears. and wont let the water out. Glad I'm retired now. lot of rumors and thoughts on how things work lol.

we use water and ice in the door dozens of times every day.

It is a must-have for me.

fwiw, I'm 6 1/2 years with my 25 CU Ft KA side by side with no issues.

we use water and ice in the door dozens of times every day.

It is a must-have for me.

fwiw, I'm 6 1/2 years with my 25 CU Ft KA side by side with no issues.
My KA sbs, bought new in 2002, is my garage fridge and it’s still going strong. Love it. We use the fridge and freezer and it’s rock solid, still.

Yeah seems side bys are across the board very reliable. I know the one my dad bought for his house was. We all hated it (including him) but he did like it was a little more accessible to 90+ yo bod. If I could fit a deal like I mentioned earlier by purchasing 2 Samsung convertible freezers and then installing the side by side kit for the doors, and switch one to freezer. It would be pretty cool. I have to say that freezer so far has been very impressive. Very quiet, rock solid temp control, even a setting for flash freezing if needed.
Was showing wife all the literature and info I downloaded yesterday. Finally figured out how to broadcast my computer screen to my TV wirelessly. So, I could pull the info up, all the actual photos I took in stores (went to HD, Best Buy and Costco yesterday for some hands on and photos).
She (without any prodding) seemed to favor the Samsung Bespoke 3 door French Door models with the bev center (but not ice) in the door behind a separate panel. There was also one with 4 doors (a 3rd door or drawer) below the fridge section. But we both felt it seems to take away space from the fridge we'd rather have. Neither of us liked that on the Samsung models with ice/water TTD the huge ice maker was inside the fridge compartment taking up space. All the other products use a very compact and discreet unit tucked inside the left door. leaving the actual fridge interior far more open and roomy. IIRC they have a model of it that is 31cu ft, yet is barely larger exterior than the one we're taking out.
Still a wonder to me how they manage this

I don't know if this thread is relevant to your Amana but I'm sharing it just in case: https://tvwbb.com/threads/costco-refrigerator-review.96694/page-3#post-1123855

I think that was a simple freezer thread. I think we'll go on the hunt tomorrow morning. Will likely come up with a decision. But, at least I have her now liking french door

Just bit the wallet for an LG 26’ counter depth fridge from COSTCO. No dual icemaker. They will install next Friday. Very similar to our current LG but with a single freezer drawer, not the 2 we have now. Never was a fan of the 2 drawer freezer. Overall, the current LG fridge has been good for 16 years…

$500 off plus a $300 discount dropped the price a lot plus free install, haul away, etc.

Wife and I are going to visit some in person today. But, we're both becoming quite partial to that Samsung Bespoke with the glass panel doors in either all cream color or the misty blue green on top and cream on the freezer. Honestly we're both getting a bit tired of everything either all stainless or black/stainless. Another cool feature is you can buy the panels in different colors from Samsung and they even have one in dry erase material to write on. (grandchildren fun), shopping list, etc. We're also sort of partial to the example shown with the flex drawer between the fridge and freezer. It allows for 5 different cooling programs each separate from the freezer or fridge. Even one called "soft freeze". I know sometimes we're torn if we shop ahead of time for planning a meal a few days out for say a big weekend thing. So, I may find a great deal on say a brisket, or roast or steaks what have you. But, we don't want to break out the vacuum sealer and freeze stuff rock hard. So the "soft freeze" program allows for extended storing of meat/fish, what have you without resorting to a full on "freeze". I'm thinking it a great feature for us. Also can be programmed to keep wines at perfect temp (SHE liked that :D). Takes away no space from the freezer. Only cutting a total of about 1cu ft from the same model without the feature. But the flexibility sounds really nice. IIRC at Costco with the same door in door bev center on both, it's about $200 more than the same fridge without the flex drawer. I think we're going to end up making a final decision today and getting an order in. Our daughter really needs our old one LOL. While it is old it's (at this point) still working well (except the ice maker is iffy). And her old GE side by side is falling apart and not at all practical for their family. Especially will be true this summer as her SO's other daughter is staying with them. She's a 12 or 13 yo and that puts 2 teens and the 2 babies (3 and 18 mos) in the house.
While we both think it might be nice to have TTD ice/water, neither one of us is thinking we either A, want to give up the fridge space and B, take on the potential issues. We'll keep the ice down below.
I did look at a Bosch 800 series. Wow, what a machine! Incredible piece (dual compressors, advanced features and such) until I saw the pricing! Even at Costco nearly $4k! At that price she should be able to drive it to work as well! :D So on balance we've been having good luck with Samsung appliances overall (the freezer, the washer and the dryer) so we're thinking it's a pretty safe gamble along with the extended warranty through Costco.
1717243416023.png

Wife and I are going to visit some in person today. But, we're both becoming quite partial to that Samsung Bespoke with the glass panel doors in either all cream color or the misty blue green on top and cream on the freezer. Honestly we're both getting a bit tired of everything either all stainless or black/stainless. Another cool feature is you can buy the panels in different colors from Samsung and they even have one in dry erase material to write on. (grandchildren fun), shopping list, etc. We're also sort of partial to the example shown with the flex drawer between the fridge and freezer. It allows for 5 different cooling programs each separate from the freezer or fridge. Even one called "soft freeze". I know sometimes we're torn if we shop ahead of time for planning a meal a few days out for say a big weekend thing. So, I may find a great deal on say a brisket, or roast or steaks what have you. But, we don't want to break out the vacuum sealer and freeze stuff rock hard. So the "soft freeze" program allows for extended storing of meat/fish, what have you without resorting to a full on "freeze". I'm thinking it a great feature for us. Also can be programmed to keep wines at perfect temp (SHE liked that :D). Takes away no space from the freezer. Only cutting a total of about 1cu ft from the same model without the feature. But the flexibility sounds really nice. IIRC at Costco with the same door in door bev center on both, it's about $200 more than the same fridge without the flex drawer. I think we're going to end up making a final decision today and getting an order in. Our daughter really needs our old one LOL. While it is old it's (at this point) still working well (except the ice maker is iffy). And her old GE side by side is falling apart and not at all practical for their family. Especially will be true this summer as her SO's other daughter is staying with them. She's a 12 or 13 yo and that puts 2 teens and the 2 babies (3 and 18 mos) in the house.
While we both think it might be nice to have TTD ice/water, neither one of us is thinking we either A, want to give up the fridge space and B, take on the potential issues. We'll keep the ice down below.
I did look at a Bosch 800 series. Wow, what a machine! Incredible piece (dual compressors, advanced features and such) until I saw the pricing! Even at Costco nearly $4k! At that price she should be able to drive it to work as well! :D So on balance we've been having good luck with Samsung appliances overall (the freezer, the washer and the dryer) so we're thinking it's a pretty safe gamble along with the extended warranty through Costco.
View attachment 92317
Looks good. After our shopping and pricing, Lowe’s, Home Depot, and a couple of local appliance stores couldn’t match the COSTCO offering.

We could have had it installed next Wednesday, but schedule conflicts moved it to Friday.

I plan to pick up some dry ice from a local gas company to put into the ice chests while we swap over and get the new one cold.

I think our freezer hasn’t been this empty in a long time… cool!

Back