Fridge getting old.......REALLY old

Yeah, lose that fear of China or Mexico or spend your life looking on Craigslist for old stuff that may or may not work.
Quite frankly, the entire " you're somehow less of a patriot because you refuse to buy Chinese manufacturing" is flat out idiotic and pure BS at ground level. Get real. Made in the USA isn't coming back for most products for most people on this forum in their respective lifetimes. Fact.
All the moaning otherwise is a form of virtue signaling silliness.
"I hate buying Chinese made stuff...but...I want a grill or a coffee grinder, or a cell phone or a new set of knives or a TV or a stove....Weber grills and accessories are all made ,with few exceptions, in China. So are Zgrills, Pit Boss, Kamado Joe, you name it. It's becoming a really tired theme on this forum and every single person that posts the "I only buy American" is a hypocrite by virtue of the fact they posted anything with whatever device they posted with.
I'm not falling on "I only buy American sword" My stuff should show that. (even though I've been beat up on this very forum for my choices like the Z Grill and the Member's Mark) But, I do try my best (within my needs) to avoid it. If the only thing I can find is that, well then it's that.
If I have had a brand (especially on a major appliance purchase i.e. range, fridge, dishwasher etc) burn me as Frigidaire/Electrolux and LG have. There is no way on earth I am going to back to those companies and spend even more $$$ with them. IDK, call me pig headed or maybe closed minded but, I wasn't born with the word "sucker" printed on my forehead.
Thankfully as noted, my back is not against the wall to where I NEED to make a choice tomorrow. I have time...................plenty of time (I think). The old chill chest has been running for 18+ years. I don't think it's gonna quite tomorrow. (at least I hope not) :D
Anyway glad to read other's experiences. Everything is being plugged into my feeble old gray matter. Wife and I will make a choice.

Larry, mine has a computer with a large display screen.
It can display the view inside of the fridge on the screen or on my phone.
It has probably some form of AI that can identify the contents of the fridge and tell me what the contents are to a degree. Meaning it’s not quite a 100% accurate but is a cool tool nonetheless.
It can plan a weekly menu with meals & ingredients and upgrade the shopping list to make it happen.
The meals are suggested or I can stroll though a large list of meals to pick and choose.
Well heck, now I want one :p

Yeah, lose that fear of China or Mexico or spend your life looking on Craigslist for old stuff that may or may not work.
Quite frankly, the entire " you're somehow less of a patriot because you refuse to buy Chinese manufacturing" is flat out idiotic and pure BS at ground level. Get real. Made in the USA isn't coming back for most products for most people on this forum in their respective lifetimes. Fact.
All the moaning otherwise is a form of virtue signaling silliness.
"I hate buying Chinese made stuff...but...I want a grill or a coffee grinder, or a cell phone or a new set of knives or a TV or a stove....Weber grills and accessories are all made ,with few exceptions, in China. So are Zgrills, Pit Boss, Kamado Joe, you name it. It's becoming a really tired theme on this forum and every single person that posts the "I only buy American" is a hypocrite by virtue of the fact they posted anything with whatever device they posted with.
I could not agree with you more its a joke cause when it comes to laying out the cash most people don't care about where it came from they care about the cost and does the product perform. This by the way has nothing to do with politics its reality. If they cared lets use ThermoPro Lightning for example people on this forum falling all over their products where are they made? If your patient you could get a ThermoWerks One for maybe $89.00 on sale the Lighting is $69.00. One made in China one made in the US my guess some people save the 20 bucks it is what it is they could care less where it is made.

I'm not falling on "I only buy American sword" My stuff should show that. (even though I've been beat up on this very forum for my choices like the Z Grill and the Member's Mark) But, I do try my best (within my needs) to avoid it. If the only thing I can find is that, well then it's that.
If I have had a brand (especially on a major appliance purchase i.e. range, fridge, dishwasher etc) burn me as Frigidaire/Electrolux and LG have. There is no way on earth I am going to back to those companies and spend even more $$$ with them. IDK, call me pig headed or maybe closed minded but, I wasn't born with the word "sucker" printed on my forehead.
Thankfully as noted, my back is not against the wall to where I NEED to make a choice tomorrow. I have time...................plenty of time (I think). The old chill chest has been running for 18+ years. I don't think it's gonna quite tomorrow. (at least I hope not) :D
Anyway glad to read other's experiences. Everything is being plugged into my feeble old gray matter. Wife and I will make a choice.
I'm not chasing you for the Made in America thing. Many of us believe that having American made products...real and for 100%, not "assembled in" or "designed and developed in" but actually and honestly made in the USA, would be our first and only choice for every consumer item.
But in the real world, you'd be at a loss to name any electronic or mechanical product in your home that is truly for 100% actually made in the United States. Yes indeed there are many things that are actually made in the USA but not 99% of the things discussed or central to this forum.

Miriam checked a couple of months ago and found our Frigidaire 27 cf S x S is 16 years old. never a bit of trouble and none of the cycles it goes through sound any different than when new, so figure it's got some life remaining. Even the thru the door ice and water features have been trouble free. We're considering moving to a smaller place in the foreseeable future so will just replace it then. No problem if it fails before that, unless we're away, as I have a 14 cf fridge and a 7+ cf chest freezer that I use for beer and can empty out and fit everything. Also have another 5+ cf chest freezer that I've been trying to keep some extra room in. We've had such good service out of Frigidaire appliances that we'll be sticking with the brand.

My fear of made in China on this purchase is due to possible lack of quality on a major (at least to me laying out $2k on a fridge is a fortune). I really wish people would not misinterpret this. If I buy a $600 Z grill and it doesn't work out well, it's not a "critical" appliance. Like a fridge or some other major appliance might be. And given how much a POS my Electrolux DW was (made in China), I have good reason and experience

I'm not chasing you for the Made in America thing. Many of us believe that having American made products...real and for 100%, not "assembled in" or "designed and developed in" but actually and honestly made in the USA, would be our first and only choice for every consumer item.
But in the real world, you'd be at a loss to name any electronic or mechanical product in your home that is truly for 100% actually made in the United States. Yes indeed there are many things that are actually made in the USA but not 99% of the things discussed or central to this forum.
Yeah, but it sure lit the flamers up. No one understands this more than me. Simply looking for "constructive" input on what you use, have used, features, usability, etc. Not looking to get "flamed" because on this purchase I would REALLY prefer to have it built in the US.

My experience with Chinese products is mixed.
I believe that crap in equals crap out.
Meaning that they are capable of making some good products like the IPhone because they are getting quality requirements with high expectations.
They make other quality products as well.
Then there is the crap in crap out products. If you ask them to go as cheap as possible you will receive low quality products.

My experience with appliances (and I once owned an appliance company ) is that all name brand manufacturers are capable of producing a bad product.
This is very much like the Ford v Chevy if you think about it.

Well a new wrinkle has popped up. My wife. She now thinks she would not like a French door as "why open 2 doors when you can open only one to look inside. Oddly finding a 2 door is getting hard. I see them but they're nearly all in more narrow sizes not in a full size. So, now I have to work on her because I really want to replace it with a French Door. Ugh

Well a new wrinkle has popped up. My wife. She now thinks she would not like a French door as "why open 2 doors when you can open only one to look inside. Oddly finding a 2 door is getting hard. I see them but they're nearly all in more narrow sizes not in a full size. So, now I have to work on her because I really want to replace it with a French Door. Ugh
Ahhh. But who is the cook in the house? Since I am in our house, I am able to get the single drawer freezer I’ve been wanting. She was holding her ground on a double drawer till she (was made to) realize that I open the freezer way more often than she does. Plant you argument seed and wait for it.

What ever you buy, avoid any model that has the thru the door ice maker built into the refrigerator section. Our Samsung 4-door was great except for the ice maker. It broke every 6 months. Finally got disgusted and replaced it with an LG French door with the ice maker built into the slide out freezer. So far, a little over a year in, no problems and it holds a lot more ice. Sometimes, low tech is just better. The idea that a separate freezer unit for ice inside a refrigerator section is just one more thing to break.
Last LG, still working perfectly in previous house, is four years old now and has ice dispenser in fridge door. Zero issues. Zero repairs.

It all depends how the ice maker is designed and built.

Had a KA prior to this LG and it was a disaster of a French door unit. It lasted less than seven years and I replaced it because I no longer wanted to deal with KA and repair people.

We have this new LG that has in door ice and craft ice in the freezer. It’s the best unit we’ve ever owned. Just two months in and it’s impressive and keeps food really cold and the freezer holds ice cream well too.

So the in door fridge ice maker statement above isn’t necessarily true. It depends on how the ice maker is designed. I really think LG has outpaced its competitors here. I’m very happy to date.

The energy efficiency of these new units is pretty impressive. Opening one or two doors isn’t going to change much. And the WiFi app will tell you how many times you opened the fridge and freezer too.

I tend for all its worth to let my wife make the appliance decisions, tells me what she wants for features I do the research. Dishwasher replaced 3 years ago it had to have a drying element and not many have them but Kitchen Aid did so that is what we bought. The Stove probably 10 years old had to be a dual fuel she is a big baker so Electrolux at the time had the best dual fuel and I still cringe on what I paid for it but bought alot of stuff for myself because of that stove. :) Washer/Dryer that was on her probably 6 years old she curses at the Washer once a week hates it Dryer is fine, keep telling her to get rid of it and buy something else she never takes me up on it so I guess its really not all that bad.

Refrig as I said was kind of easy we both agreed on the features which dictated side by side if she said no I want a French Door that is what would be in the kitchen not worth arguing about it, look at the bright side the side by side will probably save you some considerable coin over the French Door you can go buy another grill or upgrade. :unsure:

My concern and I don't know your wife but I know mine if she has stated that she sees no point in opening 2 doors to get her stuff and you convince her to go French Door that appliance gets used every day my nightmare would be every day she says why did we not get a side by side cause I got to open 2 doors every day when I only wanted to open one.

Good luck hope it works out and she is happy cause we all know the saying.

Brett, is there something you can point out in the design of that through the door unit you can point out that you feel makes it "reliable"? YOu have really piqued my interest. My brother has a Samsung with through the door ice/water. He loves it. He said it was a lot of grief early on. Samsung sent out a new unit which they installed for him. He said he does remove take out the hopper or something. and does a full cleaning letting it refill with fresh ice. His Samsung has been through a house fire caused by lightning strike that burned off nearly the entire second floor, water damage and so on. The restoration company cleaned it up and it's still working just fine.
Anyway Brett, I want to know more about what you have, the model and so on.
Issue with my wife re the French doors. Seems all the fridges with bottom freezers that are "full size" are French door. The largest 2 door I can find is only 33" wide and would mean a severe downsize from our current Amana. So I think she will "come around". Especially since I do nearly 100% of the cooking. Also IIRC both Samsung and LG have the door where you tap on it and you can see inside.
Anyway count me VERY curious to know more

Brett, is there something you can point out in the design of that through the door unit you can point out that you feel makes it "reliable"? YOu have really piqued my interest. My brother has a Samsung with through the door ice/water. He loves it. He said it was a lot of grief early on. Samsung sent out a new unit which they installed for him. He said he does remove take out the hopper or something. and does a full cleaning letting it refill with fresh ice. His Samsung has been through a house fire caused by lightning strike that burned off nearly the entire second floor, water damage and so on. The restoration company cleaned it up and it's still working just fine.
Anyway Brett, I want to know more about what you have, the model and so on.
Issue with my wife re the French doors. Seems all the fridges with bottom freezers that are "full size" are French door. The largest 2 door I can find is only 33" wide and would mean a severe downsize from our current Amana. So I think she will "come around". Especially since I do nearly 100% of the cooking. Also IIRC both Samsung and LG have the door where you tap on it and you can see inside.
Anyway count me VERY curious to know more
I DO NOT have the DID (door in door) unit in my new home, but in my old home. Note, the old unit never gave us issues but my post herein is about this model:

We opted for no DID as we say little value in it over time.

This new unit, is larger than our previous DID model and this new one keeps temps incredibly well.

You can click on the ALL SPECS to see what's in the unit.
Of note, the compressor is a Smart Inverter.

Here's an explanation of this inverter:

Specifically:

"A smart inverter compressor uses variable speed technology to adjust the cooling capacity according to the cooling demand, resulting in energy efficiency and precise temperature control. This allows the compressor to operate at different speeds, consuming less energy when the cooling demand is low and ramping up to full capacity when needed.

On the other hand, a linear compressor operates at a constant speed, leading to consistent cooling but potentially higher energy consumption. However, linear compressors are known for their durability and quiet operation.

In summary, the key distinction is that smart inverter compressors offer energy efficiency through variable speed operation, while linear compressors operate at a constant speed."

We bought this model because I wanted more size (interior for fridge and freeezer) and that it's handle-less. So it presents itself as a smooth flat face that doesn't grab your clothing when walking by. It has built in top-of-door handles and bottom-of-door handles (the fridge doors).

The freezer opens with a pinch press of your fingers at the top of the freezer slide drawer.

It also has sensing technology the the fridge illuminates when you approach it. This is a nice feature for evenings when you dim your house lights.

And the ice it makes, which is HUGE for us because we like ice, are those 4 versions; craft round balls, chips (small cubes), regular in-door cubes and crushed (in door has the crushed option).

I've been happy with both LG fridges for the past almost-five-years now.

Costco has this for a great deal right now PLUS you get a free 6 cu ft unit too for the garage (or friend or sell it or kids or whatever):

1717031605294.png

1717031628795.png
here's the Costco link:

It's a side by side. So out for that. Neither one of us wants a side by. We're in agreement totally there. I will favor certain brands to the point of eliminating some. But Frigidaire is the one definitely on the "outs" with me. Electrolux as well. Due to very bad recent past experience with Frigidaire fridge and Electrolux dishwasher. Pretty much open to anything else. Just trying to avoid the made in China/Mexico if it can be avoided. Again, not because of "being a patriot or hiding under the flag".
I worry about the LG still with the compressor. Just for giggles s^&ts and grins was perusing FB Marketplace. The numbers of LG fridges listed with this description were almost beyond counting "Excellent fridge everything works except it doesn't cool. Needs compressor. They'll send you one if you can find someone to install it" "Open to offers" All of them were less than 10 years old. So this scares me on LG. My horrid experience with my LG range also scares me. But, I'd still consider one IF I could be assured I won't have a fridge on Marketplace that is 6/7 yo and DOA with bum compressor.
But no matter the brand has to be a bottom freezer top fridge and not side by side

Back