Fridge getting old.......REALLY old

One really cool thing for getting advantage of side by side but the space an upright. If you have the width (sadly I don't), Samsung makes a kit to attach 2 of it's convertible freezers together, and then change the hinge points so the doors open like a giant French door or a regular side by side. You then switch one freezer over to "refrigerator" (a simple setting) and it's really classy looking and VERY useful. No door dispensers but you can put an ice maker in the one set to freezer. So you have a very spacious, no nonsense setup. With great drawer and shelving space. And honestly if I had the space I would do that. As the whole setup together would only come in about $1600.
But, yeah I see the advantages of a side by side. Also advantage of a top mount as opposed to a bottom mount. And that's correct. You choose the "poison" that best fits your own lifestyle

BTW, I pulled the fridge back from the wall. I hadn't realized how very long it had been. The s^&t under it and in the working parts, was awful. I was ashamed of myself letting it go like this. IDK if it's worth trying to have the thing inspected by a tech or not. I don't think it's like inspecting an old car, to see what it will be needing. For the time being right now, the coils are clean, brushed the fan clean, vacuumed all under it and so on. Whatever the outcome I am sure it's "happier" now.
But, I think wife is in agreement. Maybe time to cut bait.

My wife just this morning said we need to pull the refrigerator out and give it a good cleaning been awhile since I have done it also.

Well now that it's clean, I'm wondering even more about it LOL. This AM I went out to the kitchen and it was running (not abnormal), but making a "buzzing" or slight "humming" I don't remember hearing from it.
Could be the huge mats of filth and dust I pulled out (yes ashamed of myself), were muffling either something bad or something normal?

Well now that it's clean, I'm wondering even more about it LOL. This AM I went out to the kitchen and it was running (not abnormal), but making a "buzzing" or slight "humming" I don't remember hearing from it.
Could be the huge mats of filth and dust I pulled out (yes ashamed of myself), were muffling either something bad or something normal?
Probably not a bad idea to have a cooler and bag of ice on hand.

I hate appliance shopping, and when you have a small, old house with limited space for a fridge it’s even more irritating! I went the Frigidaire route and ultimately had a door issue which was a real circus issue to get repaired (finally after great tirades, it ended up being covered under warranty) taking almost three months after finally getting through to the person that looked back to the initial complaint three days after the thing was delivered! I don’t think I’ll get another one from Frigidaire. The last tech that came to inspect it, leveled it properly and said, that was the initial problem which caused the hinge to give trouble. Finally the giant that installed the door said that is very common, the delivery guys are paid to get them off the truck not to do anything intelligent! He said that that’s the biggest trouble, bad delivery and installation!

After the REALLY bad experiences I had with both Electrolux and Frigidaire (one a dishwasher the other a fridge). Will never go down that road again. Hope yours comes out ok. Also with the nightmare my LG range is don't think I want to tiptoe down any other appliance path with them either. Now with seeing on multiple sites how many of the best things are coming from the Samsungs made in Korea I'm leaning toward that route. As even my old "go to" of products made under the Whirlpool banner are now coming out of China and Mexico. It's all so disheartening.

I am loving my Samsung.
I have an extended warranty from Costco and am fine with that.
Costco stands behind what they sell pretty good.

I never would have thought that I would fall for a smart refrigerator but it’s awesome.
All the extra features and comforts this fridge offers me that others don’t made the risk an acceptable gamble for me.
At the time I bought it none of the other manufacturers came even close to all the options that this smart fridge has to offer electronically or in its layout.
This fridge has too many outstanding functions to even list without sounding like a commercial.

It does have a bad rap but it’s been working just fine.
At about $2,300 it wasn’t a big gamble.
I have had much worse luck on my washers and dryers.

What ever you buy, avoid any model that has the thru the door ice maker built into the refrigerator section. Our Samsung 4-door was great except for the ice maker. It broke every 6 months. Finally got disgusted and replaced it with an LG French door with the ice maker built into the slide out freezer. So far, a little over a year in, no problems and it holds a lot more ice. Sometimes, low tech is just better. The idea that a separate freezer unit for ice inside a refrigerator section is just one more thing to break.

What ever you buy, avoid any model that has the thru the door ice maker built into the refrigerator section. Our Samsung 4-door was great except for the ice maker. It broke every 6 months. Finally got disgusted and replaced it with an LG French door with the ice maker built into the slide out freezer. So far, a little over a year in, no problems and it holds a lot more ice. Sometimes, low tech is just better. The idea that a separate freezer unit for ice inside a refrigerator section is just one more thing to break.
Yeah I am leaning away from through the door ice/water system. I like that the Samsung bottom mount one can even do craft ice. Andy you have to explain "smart" fridge. It has a screen on the door? Or you can see through the door?

Yeah I am leaning away from through the door ice/water system.
We previously had a Samsung side by side with thru the door ice/water with no problems, but the unit was built into the freezer where it belongs. The refrig/freezer sections of the new Samsung were great, I just could not deal with the cost of repairing the ace maker after warranty. At about $500/repair, you can soon pay for a new refrig.

After the REALLY bad experiences I had with both Electrolux and Frigidaire (one a dishwasher the other a fridge). Will never go down that road again. Hope yours comes out ok. Also with the nightmare my LG range is don't think I want to tiptoe down any other appliance path with them either. Now with seeing on multiple sites how many of the best things are coming from the Samsungs made in Korea I'm leaning toward that route. As even my old "go to" of products made under the Whirlpool banner are now coming out of China and Mexico. It's all so disheartening.
It’s been a little over a year since the new door was put in and it’s been just fine. If I ever build a house there will be far more space allowed for a larger unit! Mine is like 13.5 feet, a little sucker, it’s nice to have eleven coolers as backup for big feasts!

Why no love for GE I get they aren't made by GE anymore but certainly been happy with mine and Haier has been around along time. The Maytag Man video had some positive comments about them with some models being made in the US.

I find it interesting and please correct me if I am wrong unlike LG with the compressor fiasco or Samsung with the ice maker fiasco leading to class action lawsuits, I really had not read about any major issues with GE.

For me when the time comes I already know my requirements. Have to have a counter depth model and since I must have an ice/water dispenser on the door side by side is the only model that would fit those requirements. I don't care about the smart stuff either so most likely its gonna be another GE Profile when the time comes.

Another decent article from Wirecutters again pick your poison in what you are looking for. Give LG some credit on the newer stuff, Samsung seems less impressive, the GE depending on what models holds its own.

Larry, mine has a computer with a large display screen.
It can display the view inside of the fridge on the screen or on my phone.
It has probably some form of AI that can identify the contents of the fridge and tell me what the contents are to a degree. Meaning it’s not quite a 100% accurate but is a cool tool nonetheless.
It can plan a weekly menu with meals & ingredients and upgrade the shopping list to make it happen.
The meals are suggested or I can stroll though a large list of meals to pick and choose.

It does a bunch of really neat stuff like a shopping list, rotating photo gallery, plays decent sounding music, has several news stations like cnn..
I really like the shopping list feature.
I now always have the list on my IPhone.
That alone has saved me hours of grocery store commuting because we are about 25 minutes from town.

That said,
I don’t much care for Alexa getting nosy and offering to dial 911 on us.
She hasn’t done it yet but she has offered a few times when I asked my wife for some help.
Once the wife and I were joking around and the wife told me to be careful because Alexa might hear you.
Funny but not really.

Anyways I’m not sorry about this purchase at all.
For the price and the Costco warranty I’m fine with it.
If it didn’t have the Costco protection plan I probably wouldn’t have picked this one.

So I read that and I'm left with a huge IDK. I am trying to avoid anything made in China or Mexico. US or Korea are OK, US Being preferrable. LG still is using that linear compressor. I don't care what the article says this is still a scary proposition to me given the very short time passed since they settled that lawsuit. While from a technical standpoint the idea a sold one, apparently LG has been unable to make it actually "work" reliably. This may have changed in the last 2 or 3 years BUT IMO that is not enough time to have proven the actual production has solved the issues.
Samsung had a similar technology and has fully abandoned it. Kinda tells me something.
A for all the smart tech. No thanks. I get annoyed enough with my Google hub suddenly beginning to chatter away for no reason. On a fridge I'd be likely to put my fist through it :D
Also given what a horrid POS my LG range is, I am VERY soured on the brand. I won't even buy an LG TV. Same goes for Frigidaire/Electrolux. Not totally against GE, just did not see anything that I like from Costco there yet.
And then I have to avoid counter depth ones. Because my fridge sits right next a "pantry" and there is a wall next to it. A counter depth would prevent the right hand door from opening enough to use any pull out drawer.
Thankfully my back is not against the wall. Current fridge is running well. It's just "old" and the ice maker has been a bit inconsistent. I replaced that once IDK 10 years ago. I checked and I cannot get one anymore.
One thing I discovered today. On all the fridges that have a through the door ice maker, (which to me is trouble waiting for a place to happen), and takes up fridge space, but maybe you gain some freezer space? Well nope. On the units I looked at they all still have that full width freezer drawer for dual ice "cubes", and the ice maker taking up the top 10" to 12" along the entire width. So, lose/lose IMO.
In any case wife and I will shop, compare, take our time and decide on wat fits the bill

So I read that and I'm left with a huge IDK. I am trying to avoid anything made in China or Mexico. US or Korea are OK, US Being preferrable. LG still is using that linear compressor. I don't care what the article says this is still a scary proposition to me given the very short time passed since they settled that lawsuit. While from a technical standpoint the idea a sold one, apparently LG has been unable to make it actually "work" reliably. This may have changed in the last 2 or 3 years BUT IMO that is not enough time to have proven the actual production has solved the issues.
Samsung had a similar technology and has fully abandoned it. Kinda tells me something.
A for all the smart tech. No thanks. I get annoyed enough with my Google hub suddenly beginning to chatter away for no reason. On a fridge I'd be likely to put my fist through it :D
Also given what a horrid POS my LG range is, I am VERY soured on the brand. I won't even buy an LG TV. Same goes for Frigidaire/Electrolux. Not totally against GE, just did not see anything that I like from Costco there yet.
And then I have to avoid counter depth ones. Because my fridge sits right next a "pantry" and there is a wall next to it. A counter depth would prevent the right hand door from opening enough to use any pull out drawer.
Thankfully my back is not against the wall. Current fridge is running well. It's just "old" and the ice maker has been a bit inconsistent. I replaced that once IDK 10 years ago. I checked and I cannot get one anymore.
One thing I discovered today. On all the fridges that have a through the door ice maker, (which to me is trouble waiting for a place to happen), and takes up fridge space, but maybe you gain some freezer space? Well nope. On the units I looked at they all still have that full width freezer drawer for dual ice "cubes", and the ice maker taking up the top 10" to 12" along the entire width. So, lose/lose IMO.
In any case wife and I will shop, compare, take our time and decide on wat fits the bill
Yeah, lose that fear of China or Mexico or spend your life looking on Craigslist for old stuff that may or may not work.
Quite frankly, the entire " you're somehow less of a patriot because you refuse to buy Chinese manufacturing" is flat out idiotic and pure BS at ground level. Get real. Made in the USA isn't coming back for most products for most people on this forum in their respective lifetimes. Fact.
All the moaning otherwise is a form of virtue signaling silliness.
"I hate buying Chinese made stuff...but...I want a grill or a coffee grinder, or a cell phone or a new set of knives or a TV or a stove....Weber grills and accessories are all made ,with few exceptions, in China. So are Zgrills, Pit Boss, Kamado Joe, you name it. It's becoming a really tired theme on this forum and every single person that posts the "I only buy American" is a hypocrite by virtue of the fact they posted anything with whatever device they posted with.

Back