Fridge getting old.......REALLY old

Well this will be here Thursday. We were going to go for the blue green top panels. Was not in stock for me, also wife thought more about it and kinda felt the colors might be just a little "over the top" for our house. But we can order the panels for $99 ea for the top ones and $50 for the middle one if we want

1717271098081.png

I've moved more than a few fridges/ freezers and it usually involves using a dolly and removing the handles from the fridge and sometimes taking the front or back house door off it's hinges.
Guys that delivered mine used straps that looped under the fridge and over their shoulders.
Pulled the lower freezer bin out and removed it and opened both doors wide.
Waltzed that thing right in like the pros they are.

Well our old one is going to have to be moved into garage. I am sure that rather than doing an actual "pickup" the delivery folks will likely move it out there for me. From there it will go to my daughter. To replace that POS GE side by she's been using that came with her house. Hopefully my old one will hold up long enough to serve her well and long enough to be in good enough financial shape to by a better (new) one.

I've moved more than a few fridges/ freezers and it usually involves using a dolly and removing the handles from the fridge and sometimes taking the front or back house door off it's hinges.
Guys that delivered mine used straps that looped under the fridge and over their shoulders.
Pulled the lower freezer bin out and removed it and opened both doors wide.
Waltzed that thing right in like the pros they are.

One of the smartest things I did when I ordered our current fridge was to order the handleless option. There are no protruding handles at all. There's a chamfer feature down each French door with a lip. Given the rather close space to the island, this has been a wonderful feature.

The straps are also known as "forearm forklifts" and are wonderful for movers of all sorts.

I think you are going to like your fridge Larry.
They really offer a lot on that fridge.
There really is a lot to like about it.
I think so as well. It has their best cooling system also which was another "helping" factor in the decision, and is the most efficient energy wise. Jeff, I went with the no handles because 1, we liked the cleaner look. And this fridge is so huge compared to the existing one, even without handles it will still stick out in the room an additional inch or 2 beyond what the one does we have currently. Handles (if you remember my kitchen arrangement) would have been very obtrusive.
And we're both kind of sick of stainless and black. So this cream color and easy to clean surfaces I think will be a welcome change

Jeff, I went with the no handles because 1, we liked the cleaner look. And this fridge is so huge compared to the existing one, even without handles it will still stick out in the room an additional inch or 2 beyond what the one does we have currently. Handles (if you remember my kitchen arrangement) would have been very obtrusive.
We're even more closely constrained than you are, a full width door would not open fully due to the island in front of it. And there's just no other place really to put it.

And, TBH..... now that we've been living with the handleless feature, I doubt I'd want a refrigerator with handles at this point.

Another thing I like is the glass fronts are not really that great for magnets. Shhh don't tell my wife. She loves to stick everything to the fridge and honestly it's been a little of a bug up my....................................rear, so I can't wait till she tries :D "Honest honey I never knew" LOL.

Well our old one is going to have to be moved into garage.
You probably know that most refrigerators will not work in a garage that falls below freezing in the winter. Has something to do with the thermostat shutting it all down.

You probably know that most refrigerators will not work in a garage that falls below freezing in the winter. Has something to do with the thermostat shutting it all down.
Oh I know. But it's not staying there. I'm only staging it there, until it can be moved to daughter's house. It will then replace her aging and very hard to use GE side by with the ice maker and water dispenser that quit ages ago and was smelly anyway, takes up nearly 1/3rd of the already meager freezer space. So it will be a far more practical unit until she can afford something newer and better.

Another thing I like is the glass fronts are not really that great for magnets. Shhh don't tell my wife. She loves to stick everything to the fridge and honestly it's been a little of a bug up my....................................rear, so I can't wait till she tries :D "Honest honey I never knew" LOL.
May as well ask for an RMA before it's even delivered.

Larry, mine has a computer with a large display screen.
It can display the view inside of the fridge on the screen or on my phone.
It has probably some form of AI that can identify the contents of the fridge and tell me what the contents are to a degree. Meaning it’s not quite a 100% accurate but is a cool tool nonetheless.
It can plan a weekly menu with meals & ingredients and upgrade the shopping list to make it happen.
The meals are suggested or I can stroll though a large list of meals to pick and choose.

It does a bunch of really neat stuff like a shopping list, rotating photo gallery, plays decent sounding music, has several news stations like cnn..
I really like the shopping list feature.
I now always have the list on my IPhone.
That alone has saved me hours of grocery store commuting because we are about 25 minutes from town.

That said,
I don’t much care for Alexa getting nosy and offering to dial 911 on us.
She hasn’t done it yet but she has offered a few times when I asked my wife for some help.
Once the wife and I were joking around and the wife told me to be careful because Alexa might hear you.
Funny but not really.

Anyways I’m not sorry about this purchase at all.
For the price and the Costco warranty I’m fine with it.
If it didn’t have the Costco protection plan I probably wouldn’t have picked this one.
Our son got us an Alexa for Christmas a few years ago, we put it in the kitchen. My young grandsons decided to ask her to "fart", to which she obliged. It soon became her favorite thing to do and I couldn't get her to stop. She now resides uninstalled in the pantry.

Believe it or not BTW We could have gotten this model in the black glass panels and with the large smart screen for only about $400 more. Wife was "no way". I could see the thing locking the fridge "you've had enough to eat today" :D

When we first saw the computer screen we had no desire at all for it.
We even thought it was stupid, I mean why would a person need or want that?
We really like it now and are glad we got it.
It does do a lot of different things.
One of the things it does that I really like is it scrolls through a large rolodex of family or vacation pictures that pop up in interesting ways.
It’s pretty artistic actually and doesn’t make it seem like you see one photo after another.
Seeing pics of the kids growing up (and us) is nice.
I’ve seen virtual picture frames screens before and wasn’t impressed .This is done much nicer.
Most of the other functions are nice but this one, the shopping list and the news feed or music are with the few extra bucks.

Btw, spending most of my life in sunny California I didn’t know that garage refrigerators in freezing environments had issues.
Either that or I forgot.
I keep a freezer in a separate building on my property that I don’t heat unless I have guests in its apartment area.
It gets so cold without heat I could probably cure bacon on It’s floor during the cold season.
Is this a potential issue?
The wife keeps the 2nd floor apartment heated at the lowest setting so it doesn’t get moist and we keep the water heater going but there is large first floor area with tall ceilings that I don’t spend money on heating unless I have to.

It depends on the freezer. Some come equipped out of the box to handle a cold environment. Some you need to add a "kit" and some nothing will help.
I actually wanted the fridge with the screen the more I looked at it on the floor at Costco. Wife totally vetoed it. In retrospect likely for the better as if it malfunctioned I'd likely still decide to put a fist through it :D She just did not want that "intrusion" into our kitchen and she especially did not want the added expense of acquisition or possible repair. Honestly likely all for the better. Really can't wait for Thursday!
I think the old Amana must know the jig is up. :D The ice maker has begun chucking out ice like a total champ again. Ain't it funny how things "know"?

Well tomorrow is the DOD. Day of Delivery got everything pretty much emptied out of current unit. Freezer emptied into cooler with dry ice

LM -- do you have a shut off valve on the water line?

I had a line that did not have its own shut off. Which caused big problems when we got the inevtiable leak -- flood, ruined floor section. And I couldn't shut off the fridge line without turning off the whole house.

Pretty surprising to discover (too late) that we lacked that simple feature.

That's a good point. Mine was over 25 years when I installed it and it wouldnt shut off. I had to turn the main off while I ran to HD to find a new one. it's a 1/4" not 3/8" like under your sink. ( I had plenty of those)

I do. I have independent shutoffs. One for the whole filtration system, then each "leg" of filtered water has it's own shutoff. So yes, I can shut off anything as I need to.

Back