Fresh Kielbasa over Basques Lump & Hickory

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
a quick smoke using the 14" WSM and Canadian made Basques Sugar Maple Lump charcoal

BasquesLumpCharcoal03142021.jpg

the kielbasa was made locally by a joint called Old Germantown and they bought the recipes from European Homemade Sausage Shop that went out of business when the owner retired.
Anyway, the retired sausage master Frank Jakubcza made and sold Milwaukee's finest sausage for years and years and years. His retirement/closing saddened many folks like me.
but now, Old Germantown makes and sells Frank's famous recipe Kielbasa, the best I've ever had.

KIELBASA03142021a.jpg

on the WSM with the temp about 220º to 240ºF for about 3 hours...

KIELBASA03142021b.jpg
KIELBASA03142021c.jpg
KIELBASA03142021d.jpg
KIELBASA03142021e.jpg

that's it. quick smoked kielbasa. it's yummy eet.gif thanks for swing by!

Looks delicious, Jim. That is wonderful that Old Germantown is able to keep the traditional recipes alive.

Now, if someone would just keep the old charcoal recipes alive! ;)

Another simple but great cook,because you use great meats to start with. I have only had German made sausage a couple times smoked and it was so flavorful over basic store sausage. Love that deep brown color. Yum.

I have a good friend in Milwaukee, I’ve put in a request for a delivery next time they come for a visit!
Of course Jim, you are always welcome with or without stuff, not necessarily for a week but, for an overnight (that means dinner, of course) to any of you all.

Last edited:
Another simple but great cook,because you use great meats to start with. I have only had German made sausage a couple times smoked and it was so flavorful over basic store sausage. Love that deep brown color. Yum.
Exactly! Good products need very little aside from the judicious application of heat (and smoke or not) to manifest a true gustatory treat!

Back