Franklin Mobile Rig

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
At Live Fire! down in Driftwood, Aaron Franklin brought his mobile rig. Built for business -- two big cookers on a hefty trailer frame. A nice touch are the Cragars and Goodrich Radial T/A tires. Aaron said, "they're my guilty vice." He's building another with Haliburtons.

What was impressive was the size of the fireboxes ... and the taste of the beef rib he cooked.

Frank_Rig by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Here is a shot of the business end. This was taken after all the ribs had been cooked ... and eaten.

Frank_Biz_end1 by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Just 1 thing wrong, those wheels are not Cragars. But the mobile BBQ would definitely look better with chrome Cragars all around.

Just 1 thing wrong, those wheels are not Cragars. But the mobile BBQ would definitely look better with chrome Cragars all around.
I still have a set from the mid 70's that were on my 66 Malibu that I stupidly sold for $2K, I wanted $2.5K and the guy would only pay $2K, so I said the Cragers come off. I've been luggin' them around for the last 40 years

My first thought was he ought to paint those suckers.
But then again they look fitting for someone who seems very unpretentious

My first thought was he ought to paint those suckers.
But then again they look fitting for someone who seems very unpretentious

The rig he is currently building has no paint. He told me he was going to have pinstriped -- right on top of the rust. Should be a good look.

Jeff

The rig he is currently building has no paint. He told me he was going to have pinstriped -- right on top of the rust. Should be a good look.

Jeff

Hope to see that when it's finished.

My wife retires in a year and going to Franklin's is on my bucket list, so maybe a road trip will be in order.
Hate long lines, hope there are line sitters for hire.

Sweet mutha of all things smoked, WOW! We would love to visit his place, I would be very frustrated to stand in line and get to the window to find out they were sold out and closing LOL, yeah a tent would pop up and I'd sure be the first in line the next day.....I guess :)

I still have a set from the mid 70's that were on my 66 Malibu that I stupidly sold for $2K, I wanted $2.5K and the guy would only pay $2K, so I said the Cragers come off. I've been luggin' them around for the last 40 years

Chuck, think what it would cost to buy another 66 Malibu now...... bet it would be lots of fun though.

Chuck, think what it would cost to buy another 66 Malibu now...... bet it would be lots of fun though.
I saw one exactly like my old one (yellow w/black interior) Pretty good shape, no cancer (even had the infamous broken motor mount) the guy was asking $20K and after a month on the market, he got $17.5K

Back