Franklin Admits to the Lawry's

I’ve been over salted before and didn’t appreciate it.
My standard operating procedure is a salt brine the night before and a salt free rub the day of.
I do break my own rules and will use Montreal Steak Seasoning every now and then.

I always thought “just salt and pepper“ was a line of….

I'm a Lawry's fan, I buy the kind with black pepper and mostly use it on burgers and steaks. I also like Old Bay, but my wife doesn't like celery. Old bay has quite a bit of celery seed, so I don't have any in the pantry. Old Bay gets used in seafood dishes quite a bit so some stores will keep the Old Bay in near the seafood, or close to where the seafood boil stuff is.

Not sure about using Lawry's in my BBQ rubs. I think you sort of lose control of a rub recipe when you start adding other spice blends like Lawry's. I'm probably going to mix up another batch of Meathead's Memphis Dust pretty soon, I've been kind of disappointed with the store bought rubs lately.

For years I used just Lawry's and black pepper on both pork and chicken. I still have a dusty jar in the spice cabinet, but seldom use it since the wife and I began watching our salt intake. If it weren't for that, I might well be using it as a base for several of my rubs.
Has anyone seen their red or black pepper seasoned salts lately? I remember trying both about 25 years ago but haven't seen them in stores since. Looks like the black is available from Amazon, but not the red.

I use Old Bay in Gumbo, Jambalaya and other Cajun/Creole inspired dishes. It's also good in spaghetti sauce and various other red sauces. There's a big can in the spice cabinet that is definitely not dusty.

Last edited:
Found a pack of beef cheeks in the freezer while taking out my pork ribs to cook tomorrow....thought if this thread so gave them a trim and a good dusting with seasoned salt....I'l be smoking them tomorrow alongside the ribs. Curious.

For years I used just Lawry's and black pepper on both pork and chicken. I still have a dusty jar in the spice cabinet, but seldom use it since the wife and I began watching our salt intake. If it weren't for that, I might well be using it as a base for several of my rubs.
Has anyone seen their red or black pepper seasoned salts lately? I remember trying both about 25 years ago but haven't seen them in stores since. Looks like the black is available from Amazon, but not the red.

I use Old Bay in Gumbo, Jambalaya and other Cajun/Creole inspired dishes. It's also good in spaghetti sauce and various other red sauces. There's a big can in the spice cabinet that is definitely not dusty.
I have used the Lawry's with red pepper, but it's been a while. I remember it having quite a kick. It's not on the shelf at my mega mart here in St. Louis next to the other Lawry's products. I did a little googling and found out that Lawry's is made by McCormick.... Not sure it's always been like that. The marketing geniuses may have paired back the number of Lawry's branded products since McCormick already has 50 different kinds of seasoning blends.

An interesting discussion. I am NOT any expert or near as regular a bbqer as many here in this section. I have found, though, that simple is good. My one brisket rub recipe does include some Hungarian Paprika in addition to kosher salt and black pepper. I do "crutch" sometimes with turbinado sugar (Sorry, Aaron!) particularly if wanting to do burnt ends.

Well I didn't worry about salt in my youth but these days I have to watch it and cut down when I can, no seasoned salt here although I do have some old bay in the cabinet, have been using sucklebusters for a lot of my rub work these days and no added salt, The only salt I use on my own food is Tabasco salt, but only if it's not got salt in it already and I am wanting some nice spicey taste.

It can be a problem locating Old Bay in a retail shop up here north of the 49th. Stumbled across it at a seafood restaurant/retailer the other day. The owner told me it's a short supply issue: she ordered 4 cases from her distributor and got one.
I tried making some from a recipe I found on the web, but it was nowhere near the original.

I mix my rub without salt so I can add salt according to the meat (lots for a butt; not much for ribs). Doing ribs today and found some Larry’s in the pantry. ptu a light layer on both sides of the rack and we’ll see how it goes. This is also my first hot and fast from the Bill Gillespie book. We’ll see how that goes as well.

I smoked two racks of Creekstone prime beef ribs a couple weeks ago. I used 2 part pepper, 1 part kosher salt, 1 part Lawry and 1/2 part granulated garlic. Could not tell any diff from all the ribs I've smoked with S/P .
This is my experience as well. I have tried adding Lawrys to a dozen briskets, and cannot really taste the difference vs regular S&P. I wonder if maybe it contributes to color or bark texture, if not flavor.

Anyway, for me, I’ll continue to stick with S&P, and just use Lawrys on fries.

Lawry's is a seasoned salt so I would omit any further salt.
Lawry's: 1/4tsp = 380mg Sodium
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt: 1/4tsp = 280mg Sodium

LSS has more sodium than DCKS if you measure by volume.

Lawry's: 1/4tsp = 1.2g
DCKS: 1/4tsp = 1.4g

LSS has more sodium than DCKS if you measure by weight.

Conclusion: If you mix LSS with DCKS you actually reduce the amount of sodium from what you would have with straight LSS. Strange.

SOURCE: https://www.mccormick.com/lawrys/flavors/spice-blends/seasoned-salt
SOURCE: https://giantfood.com/groceries/bak...lt/diamond-crystal-kosher-salt-26-oz-box.html

Last edited:

Conclusion: If you mix LSS with DCKS you actually reduce the amount of sodium from what you would have with straight LSS. Strange.

SOURCE: https://giantfood.com/groceries/bak...lt/diamond-crystal-kosher-salt-26-oz-box.html
I am pretty sure that Lowrys uses table salt instead of Kosher flakes. Regular table salt is denser than Kosher salt, especially Diamond Crystal. So more weight of table salt, even when mixed with other stuff, will be present in a volume measurement. Any idea what the split between Lowrys and Morton Kosher is? Thanks Ed

So adding more salt to a rub which already has Lawry's seasoned salt is okay for you? or I don't quite understand why you quoted me?

It can be a problem locating Old Bay in a retail shop up here north of the 49th. Stumbled across it at a seafood restaurant/retailer the other day. The owner told me it's a short supply issue: she ordered 4 cases from her distributor and got one.
I tried making some from a recipe I found on the web, but it was nowhere near the original.
All over the place here in Md. I can't stand the stuff myself, or the nasty sea spiders that everyone puts it on. I guess I always associate it with seafood as it is used here. I've heard that a comparable product is Everglades Heat, but I've never seen it in stores.

So adding more salt to a rub which already has Lawry's seasoned salt is okay for you? or I don't quite understand why you quoted me?
No reflection on you, timothy...I had taken to using a 50/50 mix (by weight) LSS/DCKS for dry brining chicken, mostly because it helps me to see how much salt I am using so as not to over salt and make the bird taste too salty. I thought I would up the LSS thinking it would not increase the sodium too much, so I took the deep dive into the nutritional labels a few days ago to compare the two and, much to my surprise and chagrin, LSS has more sodium than "regular" (kosher) salt! How can something be saltier than pure salt???

My wife is chronically low in sodium and she is the only person I know that the Dr. encourages to eat more salt, but as for me I am not so lucky. We lost a daughter at age 27 due to undiagnosed high blood pressure ("the Silent Killer') so it is kind of a hot-button topic for us, and I'd like to encourage everybody to eat less sodium.

I'm going to give up the LSS altogether...again, I use it primarily because it permits me to see the amount and evenness of application of the brining salt I was applying. I presumed you had assumed that LSS had less sodium than kosher salt, as I did, but instead, it has more. I was surprised that DCKS weighs more than LSS, too, having read all about the hollow flakes, but DCKS weighs almost as much as Morton's "table" salt, which is:

Morton's (Plain or Iodized): 1/4tsp = 1.5g (DCKS = 1.4g) (LSS = 1.2g)
Morton's (Plain or Iodized): 1/4tsp = 590mg Sodium (DCKS = 280mg) (LSS = 380mg)

Note that DCKS has less than half the sodium but weighs almost as much by volume.

SOURCE: https://www.mortonsalt.com/article/mortonplain-table-salt-nutritional-facts/

Last edited:

Back