Forum Moves To New Software Starting Wednesday 2/12/20

The Link is in the quote below
Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham
I've got the hosting. I've got the software. I've installed the software on the server. I've installed the import software. But now I'm stuck, I need help with the import process. Time to log a support ticket.

Rather than post the Beer Fund link which was for a fixed amount, I'm posting this link which allows you to enter any amount you want. This way you can buy one beer, a six-pack, and can vary the amount based on what you think a beer costs.

Seriously, thanks in advance for anything you can donate.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=A5MEMBH9YKAD6

Just wondering. On posts currently with photos posted inline through say Imagur will the photos make the transition? The Toyota forum I belong to did a change like this and all the previous "how to" photos were lost

Those photos will not be lost in this transition. And you can continue to link photos from Imgur into posts, if you prefer.

I've fixed the broken Beer Fund link in Bruce's post. Here it is again just for convenience:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=A5MEMBH9YKAD6

Tommorow will be a rough day as I won't be able to pas some of it checking in here. Looking forward to seeing everyone on the other side!!!

Just sent a few beer tokens Boss! I will go hide under a table for a couple of days until things are up and running again.
Actually, I might get a few things finished around here that I seem to avoid when I spend the bulk of the day here!
Thanks Chris, glad to see this changeover happen!

Whoooooo, wait, I am not ready. We can't go down tomorrow. I haven't set up an appointment with my shrink yet.

Oh well, I lost my wallet today, so I will be spending the next couple days canceling and replacing credit/debit, ID cards and every other imaginable document that I might need on any given day. :(

Oh well, I lost my wallet today, so I will be spending the next couple days canceling and replacing credit/debit, ID cards and every other imaginable document that I might need on any given day. :(

Bummer!! As soon as you get everything cancelled, you'll find your wallet. I know first hand. :mad:

I am pretty sure I won't. I lost it in a parking lot right outside the doors of the Convenience store. They checked and found nothing. Someone got it. It had either $20 or $40 so not bad there, but I had my DL, Military ID and all the other day to day docs in it. If I just lost the $$$ and had to replace my debit and credit cards, not biggy. But it is going to take me a while to replace all the other ID's and docs in there if I can even remember what they all were. Oh well. What is done is done.
Oh, all the recurring auto payments tied to my debit card will need to be redone now as well.....ugggghhhhh.

I guess a trip to the DMV tomorrow is the first place I need to go.

Does anyone use Brave web browser and have trouble with this website now with the Brave Shields turned on?
I can't get the forums to load without turning off all the shields.

Last edited:
The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board will transition to new software beginning Wednesday, 2/12/20. The forum will close on Wednesday so we can move the database to the new server, import the data, and complete the configuration of software.

We have successfully completed a test run and a few forum members have played around with the new software. Things look promising, and I hope the forum will be back online beginning on Friday.

The new software called Xenforo will provide many features that forum members have been asking for, including photo hosting, document attachments, and the ability to "like" posts without having to reply to them.

Here's what you can expect:

• On Wednesday, the forum will close. For some period of time, when you visit tvwbb.com you'll see this "We're Moving" message.
  • On Friday, once the move is complete, I will redirect tvwbb.com to the new server. Over the next day or so, as the DNS information propagates across the internet, when you visit tvwbb.com you may continue to get the "We're Moving" message or you may see the new site. In fact, it may go back and forth for you depending on when you visit, which can be confusing and frustrating.
  • When the new site comes up, you can log in using your existing username and password. If you can't remember your password or your login doesn't work, use the "forgot password" process or click "Contact Us" on the new site and I will help you.
There will undoubtedly be glitches and questions as we make this transition. Thank you in advance for your patience. If you have any questions or concerns, post them in the Xenforo Help/Forum Issues forum at the top of the new forum. If you have experience using other Xenforo forums and can help answer member questions, please do so!

I will post important status updates to https://www.facebook.com/tvwbb/ and https://www.facebook.com/virtualweberbullet/ during the transition.

Thanks everyone,
Chris

So do you mean that pictures can now be uploaded on your server? And that wasn't possible with vBulletin?

Also, how do you feel about the "like" feature? You had a 10 character minimum because you wanted actual conversation, and not short replies.

What was the platform prior to vBulletin?
The forum started in 2000 using software called Ultimate Bulletin Board from a company called Infopop. It ran on a server in a friend's spare bedroom. In 2004, when Comcast told my friend he could no longer run a forum over his home internet connection, I moved the forum to a hosted version of Ultimate Bulletin Board called Groupee. Over the next few years, Infopop was renamed Social Strata and Groupee was renamed Eve. In 2012, when it became clear that Eve was too expensive and had no future, we moved to vBulletin. And now our latest move to Xenforo in 2020.

So do you mean that pictures can now be uploaded on your server? And that wasn't possible with vBulletin? Also, how do you feel about the "like" feature? You had a 10 character minimum because you wanted actual conversation, and not short replies.

Yes, you can now drag and drop a photo directly into a post, or click the photo icon to select a photo, and it's uploaded, resized, and stored on the forum server. It was possible with vBulletin, but not implemented as well as in our new Xenforo software, and I've moved to a new hosting service which makes the storage space for photos more affordable.

There is still a minimum character requirement for posts and replies, as with vBulletin. The "like" feature is a built-in feature of Xenforo, for vBulletin it was a third party add-on that you had to acquire separately, and I tried to avoid add-ons as much as possible (and still do) due to potential compatibility and support issues. It's possible that the "like" feature results in fewer replies, but I had to weigh that against all the other benefits of moving to new software, especially that this software seems to have a better future ahead of it vs. vBulletin.

Last edited:

Back