First Smoke Pulled Pork No wrap question

BrianL

Looking to do my first smoke this weekend on my WSM. Going to do a pulled pork. I would prefer not to wrap it as I like a good tooth to the bark. I know BBQ is "done when it is done". Wanted some thoughts on hedging my bets. Looking at a 5-6lb pork butt. If I give my self a 4 hour cushion to finish (ie want it at 6pm but I shoot for 2pm finish as a safety net) is that a good or enough gauge based on all yall's experience?

You can easily hold the cooked butt with cooler/towels for 4-6 hours no problem.

If you are going no wrap, you may want to consider some other things to keep your cook time from being like 18 hours long. I really like to butterfly the butt -- faster cook, more bark, more seasoning.

You can easily hold the cooked butt with cooler/towels for 4-6 hours no problem.

If you are going no wrap, you may want to consider some other things to keep your cook time from being like 18 hours long. I really like to butterfly the butt -- faster cook, more bark, more seasoning.

Thanks Jim that is what I was thinking too. Splitting it along the fat line the natural break in the muscle.

If you like a good solid bark I’d suggest you take off all the fat cap. That will increase the bark significantly.

Probably something like this. Where you open up the main crevasse (for smoke, seasoning, faster cook) and also lose the fat cap. Pretty similar to how some people trim a brisket to mostly or entirely separate the point and flat.

You could go one step further and separate the butt into two pieces. But Chef Tom leaves it (barely) connected.

I have done at least a dozen pork butts and have never wrapped any of them and they always turn out delicious and juicy. I plan on 1.5 hours per pound so an 8 pound butt is done in right around 12 hours. I know a lot of people do wrap and I guess since I have never done it maybe I don't know what I'm missing. But still it's better than any pulled pork I can get at a restaurant and any food truck that has a smoker.

I have done at least a dozen pork butts and have never wrapped any of them and they always turn out delicious and juicy. I plan on 1.5 hours per pound so an 8 pound butt is done in right around 12 hours. I know a lot of people do wrap and I guess since I have never done it maybe I don't know what I'm missing. But still it's better than any pulled pork I can get at a restaurant and any food truck that has a smoker.
@Seth Boardman Fat side up or down? Do you scour the fat cap or remove it completely? Curious what temp you’re doing this at?

What temp.?

Fat cap up and I don't do anything to it besides put rub on it. I keep it about 250 and have had it get done even sooner than 12 hours. This is however basing the temp off of the original WSM thermometer so it may be off and I don't realize it.

Thanks for all the insight. I went with no wrap and it took about 10 hours. Starting temps were in the low 30's so fuel burned fast. I had full ring of KBB to start and there is nothing but ash left when I opened it up. Great first smoke and I can't wait to go again. I appreciate all the help.

image4.jpegimage0 (2).jpeg

That looks great Brian. The last PP I smoked I did not wrap and it was the best one I have ever made. Not really sure if had anything to do with not wrapping, might have been the Makers Mark barrel oak that I was using.

That looks great Brian. The last PP I smoked I did not wrap and it was the best one I have ever made. Not really sure if had anything to do with not wrapping, might have been the Makers Mark barrel oak that I was using.
I'm looking to get some whiskey oak for a brisket.

I haven't wrapped my last several pork butts either. The WSM settles in about 235-250, and I just let it ride. My family (and I) like that crusty layer of bark though, so if you like a little softer bark, wrapping at some point will help you out.

congrats and great color.

I've only been smoking for a few years but never wrapped, just like yours, all around 5-6 lbs.

Back