Kettle Butt

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
It was hotter than blazes yesterday so I decided to match it with a HH cook. Went with the Performer because it was upfront and its been awhile since I did a HH butt on a kettle.

10# butt in a half pan, rubbed with Weber's KC BBQ Rub. I saw someone score one so I tried it. Seems it lets the rub get more surface area and shorten the cook time? we'll see.

1 chunk of Hickory, Maple, White Oak and a brew

Leftover remains of some Sam's club "Best of the west" mesquite lump in the charcoal grate and about a dozen Weber Briqs in the chimney.

Added about a half a beer and let it go. Went with the built in lid therm and kept the bottom vents open a quarter for a 275 deg start.

I didn't use a remote probe or check internals, just let it go for a few hours and occasionally drain the fat.

After 3 hrs I foiled it and stoked the coals with my cordless leaf blower. Left it on for 2 hrs with a lid reading of 320. It felt soft while pushing down on the foil with a gloved hand, so into the oven for a rest.

My Son started to pull it before I broke out the camera

We had to move it from the half pan to a full pan to make room for pulling.

Plated up with some garden Zucchini planks and store bought noodle salad.

Everyone really enjoyed this one, and asked me " what the heck did you do to that butt" I agree, it was prolly one of my best, but I just let the cook come to me.:)

Tim

Looks great, Tim!

Is that your first time using Weber butt rub? How does that compare to the Southern Succor rub used by many on the forum?

SO you cook it right in the tin pan with the beer in as well? What temp and for how long? Looks great!! Nice pics.

Oh man, that looks good, and looks like a brilliant way to get more bark! I was gonna be a bit of a smart arse and ask where the brew was in the first image, hehe..

Great looking cook Tim. I love good bark and yours looks delicious. Great job not bowing to the heat. Keep it up!

Looks great, Tim!

Is that your first time using Weber butt rub? How does that compare to the Southern Succor rub used by many on the forum?

Thank's Rusty.

First time using the KC rub, but have tried most of the Weber rubs and they never disappoint. I had the book, never tried that rub.

Tim

SO you cook it right in the tin pan with the beer in as well? What temp and for how long? Looks great!! Nice pics.

Yep. It was a method I read about on the old forum ( Kick *** Butt ) basically a variance on a HH brisket. Usually 3 hrs at 300 then foil and ramp it up to 325-350 till its probe tender.
I milked my startup for more smoke so that one took roughly 6.5 hrs.
The swill is for moisture ( so the bottom don't burn) I cook FC down and that helps.

Tim

Great cook Tim. Barb and I are going to do a PB on the gasser as we can't use charcoal because of the fire restrictions. The process you used looks like it will work for ours. If ours comes out half as good as yours I'll be very happy.

Last edited:
Yea that should work Rich ( I don't see why not):) That was a huge butt, normally I have more room around the edges of a half pan, so i'm guessing that one was closer to 12#
Drain the fat a few times ( I use a Folgers coffee can that gets held in the freezer till trash day)

Than'ks everyone for the kind words!

Tim

I saw the title of the thread and was going to say “Smokey fart” but, thought better of it until now.
I really like the process, I want one now!

I've had great results with several high heat briskets, but never tried pork butt other than low-and-slow overnight. Looks like HH butt will be the next experiment.

Cooking in the pan like that reminds me of the Myron Mixon cookbook, where almost everything is in a pan.

I like using the pans cause you don't have to clean the grate before or after.:)
You could put a cookie rack or trivet underneath to keep the butt from braising in the juices.

Tim

Love the bark and the finish pull apart meat awesome. Great way to do it and your plated pic, over the top.

Back