First sausage and backup chicken.

Bob Sample

TVWBB Diamond Member
Finally got around to making homemade sausage for the first time. Made breakfast patties and brats

Started with a bone in pork butt

100_2828.jpg

Trimmed it up and separated most of the hard fat.

100_2830.jpg

100_2831.jpg

Once this was done I threw everything in the freezer including my Kitchenaid grinder and stuffer attachment. If I decide to get into sausage making on a larger scale I'll definitely have to get better equipment.

100_2834.jpg

Ground the meat. I think I needed to get more of the silver skin off next time because it was clogging the grinder. It eventually worked though.

100_2835.jpg

Then I threw the attachment back in the freezer the meat back in the fridge and soaked my casings for the brats.

100_2833.jpg

After 20 minutes I rinsed the casing well and slid one over the stuffer attachment. The next part will take a bit of practice and maybe an extra person to feed the machine. Had a hard time keeping the air out of the sausage and filling them consistently but eventually I began to get the hang of it.

100_2837.jpg

Here is the breakfast sausage used for what it was intended.

100_2843.jpg

Grilled the brats and some chicken done in a maple, orange, and garlic marinade, the chicken was in case the brats tasted horrible and so Kerry had something to eat.

100_2846.jpg

Plated the brats with some potatoes done with carrot and onion with Oktoberfest mustard on the brats.

100_2850.jpg

All in all both sausages were very good. The brats were a little grainy so I think I need a little more fat in them next time and both types of sausage could use a little more flavour to them but that's easily fixed, I didn't expect to get the flavours right on the first try anyways.

As for the chicken I didn't need it but Kerry loved it. I don't usually use store bought marinade but if you can find this stuff I highly recommend it. I added about 1/4 cup of EVOO to the sauce and had the chicken in it for about 6 hours.

Thanks for looking and if any of you sausage guys have any advise please speak up.

Very Nice Work Bob!
Your finished product looks absolutely fine to me!!
Whaddya gonna call your brats? Everyone has a fancy name for them... what's yours gonna be? :)

Great post Bob!

I was gonna get one of the kitchen aid grinder stuffer attachments, but after reading your post I'm just going to look for one of the old school hand crank ones instead.

Great looking sausage and chicken Bob! That breakfast sandwich looks like it could put McD's out of business!

The Garlic Box is actually about 20 minutes from my house. I've seen their stuff around before but I haven't tried it yet. If you say its good I guess I'll check it out!

Thanks for this one Bob. The cook looks great but in addition, I think you may have helped me decide on whether or not to pick up the sausage attachment for the KitchenAid. FWIW we really enjoy the pasta attachment. :)

Looks great, Bob!

I have been thinking about making some fresh sausage as well, and this post makes me want to do it real soon! :)

Please keep at it Bob! I'd love to see more of your sausage posts. One of these days I will have the time, and I'll join you! Looks great!

Excellent sausage Bob! You deserve a medal for stuffing that sausage solo. Killer McMuffin, too.

It's been so long since I used the KA attachment (my dad and I started out this way a few years back and were quickly banned from my mother's mixer when it started straining pretty hard) but there may be different dies so that you can get finer or coarser grain. We've been using a cheap grinder/stuffer from Harbor Freight ever since, and I can say it was worth the small investment - probably cheaper than the KA attachment.

If you're ever in doubt about seasoning, fry off a small patty to test. That's probably my favorite part of the process.

Thanks guys.

Stuart and Rolf if your only doing small batches once in awhile I think the kitchen aid is ok. Think I'll get my mom's old grinder from my sister though and pick up some kind of stuffer.

S Riddel, definitely give them a try, I looked at online ordering from them but the shipping was3x more than the price of a bottle.

Last edited:
The KA grinder works pretty well for what it is. You have to be patient and not in a hurry. Removing the silver skin does make the job easier. After cubing up the meat, place it in the freezer
for aprox 30 minutes, this really helps making the job easier. The sausage stuffer attachment just plain sucks even with two people trying to do the job.

Back