First pork shoulder smoke—too large?

Steve Tiilikainen

TVWBB Member
My wife just picked up 15 lbs of something called “pork shoulder butt”. Is this actually a butt and a picnic?

A lot of the advice I’ve be been seeing on smoking pork butt has been geared toward 6-8 lb of meat. What I’ve been reading is that larger cuts of meat may have problems with the outer meat drying out before the inner meat arrives at the proper temperature.

Is this a risk with larger cuts? How would you guys smoke this bad boy? What special measures am I going to need to take just based on its size?

Attachments

• 125E2DF4-3BFD-4965-ADF8-BC86CD60B3CF.jpeg
    125E2DF4-3BFD-4965-ADF8-BC86CD60B3CF.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 0D5EF38D-48CB-48B6-BD4B-60F724E80AFB.jpeg
    0D5EF38D-48CB-48B6-BD4B-60F724E80AFB.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 25
That’s a two pack. Two Boston Butts in a single pack, bone removed. Cook one and freeze the second or cut up the second and make another dish besides pulled pork.

Do you have a vacuum sealer? It's great to have smoked shredded pork butt vac sealed in the freezer.

here's a little reading for you. Some of the models listed are no longer avail. The Geryon I have has an updated version, and a higher price.

and a discussion of vac seal bags

here are two worth watching. Others might add more

This is very close to the one I have, though I only paid $33 for mine and it is not around $50

This one looks pretty good and is also about $50

Zip lock or other plastic bags also work. Just squeeze out as much air as you can and eat it a bit quicker ;)
Definitely, agree. use freezer zip lock, or freeze it in a tupperware, then wrap tightly in saran wrap and then put in a freezer zip lock.

The big benefit of pulled pork in a vac seal bag is you can thaw it by tossing it in a pot of nearly boiling water, shut off the heat and it will be almost up to eating temp before the bag is even opened.

Steve, first, welcome to the place where there are no silly questions or observation failures. We have all been there! Now, yes, you can fit two on one rack of the 18, I’ve done it many times. You will want a lot of folks to eat that much pulled pork! The vacuum sealer will be a great addition to the equipment racks, you will start packing things like there’s no tomorrow! have a ton of fun!

No size doesn't matter where the pork butt you're not going to come out dry. In fact I would say the standard size is closer to 10 lb. 6 to 8 is pretty small imo. One guy here did 8 pork butts at once in his wsm18 a few years ago. Stiood them on their edge, 4 on each grate

I cook that boneless two pack from Costco a couple of times a year. You can tie them up and both will fit on the top rack.

But usually I go another way. Butterfly them (which is mostly done already since the bone is removed) and lay them out flat on the two racks. Cooks a lot faster and gives you a lot more bark. Kind of like the below.

Freezes great in zip lock bags. Lasts a long time and is great for sandwiches, tacos, chilaquiles, etc.

Sometimes, I will smoke one butt and make slow cooker carnitas with the other (also freezes well).

Yep 2 pack, do those a lotZ live the Costco butts, but, I hate cooking 2. I don’t have bags big enough to freeze em and by the time I’ve gone through a butt I’m good for a couple months.

Back