How and why do you use a vacuum sealer, and is it essential for you?

Pete D.

TVWBB Member
I’ve never had or used a vacuum sealer before, so I don’t know the benefits to having one or what to do with it if I did have one. My wife doesn’t particularly like smoked food (or meat, really), so I have to eat everything right away before it goes bad. Needless to say, smoking a brisket is only for large gatherings. I’m wondering if a vacuum sealer would be a good investment for me.

So how and why do you use your sealer? Do you use it mostly for freezing food that you just got from the store, or is it mostly used for storing leftovers? Dividing into portions? Do you always use it when freezing food? What are its limitations? Right now, my attempts to freezing foods amount to just putting it a zip-lock bag and squeezing as much air out as I can. I like to shred chicken, but it dries out before we can finish it.

Lastly, do you consider this to be an essential piece of equipment in your kitchen? Or is it just a nice luxury?

Thanks!

I started using one again about 5 months ago. I had one 10+ years ago and it stopped working.

I used to wrap stuff in saran wrap and put it in a freezer zip lock, but the vac sealed bag seals better. No frosty crystals inside leading to freezer burn.

Frozen smoked pork butt has been the top quantity item frozen, and oddly enough I'm almost out. :unsure:
I can also thaw and reheat in the bag in a pot of water.

Spaghetti sauce. portioned out ready to be reheated. I like to cook 8 to 12 quarts of sauce at a time.

Other things in the freezer:
Uncooked Tri tip.
Uncooked slab of ribs.
Uncooked Pork Chops

I would not say it is essential, however given the cost I wouldn't call it a luxury item either. The one I bought was under $40 and so far it is doing fine. I'd link the one I have but it seems to be MIA on amazon.

Went many years without one.
I now use mine to seal extra meat I want to freeze.
I also like to buy BBQ rubs and I seal all the open bags to keep them fresh. This has really worked out great.

A lot of things, for long term air tight storage, frequently frozen. Fresh meat in bulk packs that get broken down into individual servings. Spaghetti sauce, Cincinnati chili, chili in general and all sort of soups, stews, stocks & sauces get portioned out into mini-loaf pans, frozen and vacuum sealed. Bulk spices get broken down into smaller packages.

I’ve never had or used a vacuum sealer before, so I don’t know the benefits to having one or what to do with it if I did have one. My wife doesn’t particularly like smoked food (or meat, really), so I have to eat everything right away before it goes bad. Needless to say, smoking a brisket is only for large gatherings. I’m wondering if a vacuum sealer would be a good investment for me.

So how and why do you use your sealer? Do you use it mostly for freezing food that you just got from the store, or is it mostly used for storing leftovers? Dividing into portions? Do you always use it when freezing food? What are its limitations? Right now, my attempts to freezing foods amount to just putting it a zip-lock bag and squeezing as much air out as I can. I like to shred chicken, but it dries out before we can finish it.

Lastly, do you consider this to be an essential piece of equipment in your kitchen? Or is it just a nice luxury?

Thanks!
Given your situation, I would say, that a vaccum sealer is precisely what you need. Smoke your cuts of meat that you like or want and divide it up in portions and freeze. Right from the freezer into a pan of boiling water, and you have lunch or dinner. I promise, it won’t be a waste of money.

My wife doesn't like pulled pork, so when I cook a butt, it's me and the kids eating it. I'll do a pretty big one, refrigerate enough for a meal or two of leftovers, then vac seal the rest in 2-3 person portions. I'll do the same with pulled chicken. I buy chicken breast and steaks often in bulk, then freeze individually in vac sealed pacs. The steaks I'll often season first. Then when the mood strikes, it's into the sous vide for a couple hours before a quick sear on the grill. Same w/ bacon. 5-10 pounds is a lot, so I'll keep some for the fridge, then freeze 12-16oz portions for future use and they'll keep for a good, long time. Is the vac sealer essential? No, but I'm very glad I have one.

My wife doesn't like pulled pork, so when I cook a butt, it's me and the kids eating it. I'll do a pretty big one, refrigerate enough for a meal or two of leftovers, then vac seal the rest in 2-3 person portions. I'll do the same with pulled chicken. I buy chicken breast and steaks often in bulk, then freeze individually in vac sealed pacs. The steaks I'll often season first. Then when the mood strikes, it's into the sous vide for a couple hours before a quick sear on the grill. Same w/ bacon. 5-10 pounds is a lot, so I'll keep some for the fridge, then freeze 12-16oz portions for future use and they'll keep for a good, long time. Is the vac sealer essential? No, but I'm very glad I have one.
Jim, when you make pulled pork or chicken, do you shred it first and then seal and freeze it, or do you seal and freeze the whole big hunk of meat and then shred it after thawing?

As a homebrewer, I buy most of my hops in bulk. Once a package is opened for use, I vacuum seal the remainder in Mason jars and freeze. This keeps them from degrading for long periods of time. Also, I find a lot of deals on bulk packages of meat, break it down into smaller packages, vacuum seal and freeze. No more hungry kids at home, so repackaging saves money. I vacuum seal homemade jerky, pastrami, corned beef, sausages and other goodies.

Jim, when you make pulled pork or chicken, do you shred it first and then seal and freeze it, or do you seal and freeze the whole big hunk of meat and then shred it after thawing?

I shred, then freeze. When reheating in the bag, you do lose the bark. To counter that, I sometimes throw it in a frying pan at the end to put a little crust on it.

I love the vac sealer.
Vac sealed and In my freezer right now:
Italian meatballs from bulk
Small appetizer meatballs made in bulk
Individual steaks from bulk buys like Costco
Indiv Chicken parts from bulk buys
Whole tomatoes, Blueberries, Cherries
Coffee beans and Various herbs e.g. pesto ice cubes
Pork ribs

Totally worth the investment. #dontwastefood

I don't ever want to be without 1, made it through the first 30 something years without, wont make that mistake again lol. currant 1 is a food saver auto vac, love it

I buy whole sub-primals, cut myself into thick steaks and roasts and vacuum seal. I also use for sous vide and leftovers. Vacuum seal cheeses like parmesan and romano to keep them fresh longer. Wouldn’t be without.

Having to eat everything before it goes bad seems like it would take some of the enjoyment out of eating. However, if you were to cook something like a brisket that your wife doesn't enjoy, that would mean you and your wife would be eating two separate meals, or eating by yourself, which doesn't sound enjoyable, either. It's hard to imagine a vacuum sealer improving this situation.

So how and why do you use your sealer? Do you use it mostly for freezing food that you just got from the store, or is it mostly used for storing leftovers? Dividing into portions?
Yes, mostly for freezing foods that comes in large packages and making smaller portions so as not to have to defrost more than can be eaten in one sitting. Not so much leftovers, although we do vac seal sauces, gravies, soups and stews from time to time. Neither one of us are huge fans of leftovers on most things so we try not to prepare too much food.

Do you always use it when freezing food? What are its limitations? Right now, my attempts to freezing foods amount to just putting it a zip-lock bag and squeezing as much air out as I can. I like to shred chicken, but it dries out before we can finish it.
Yes, we always use it, with the exception of items that come individually sealed in portions, like Cornish Game Hens, for example. Limitations with vac sealers are large items like turkeys or half- or whole hams. although there are pleated bag rolls available for those items if your sealer can seal them adequately. Liquids or wet foods need to be frozen first or put into containers, or the vac cycle cut short to avoid sucking the liquid into the vac pump. Most sealers have an area that can handle minor liquid intake, and most have a "wet" or moist cycle that applies extra heat or extra time to improve the bag sealing with moisture that might get sucked up into the sealing area. I try to avoid drawing liquids into the sealer by wrapping things like meats in saran wrap or chilling/freezing those liquid items before sealing. There are several methods of dealing with this.

The primary goal in vac sealing is to remove as much oxygen from the item being frozen as possible. Oxidation causes foods to degrade and deteriorate so its removal is important. With a zip lock, of course you can't remove all of the oxygen, but beyond that you can never be sure the bag is sealed completely, and most of the time it is not perfectly sealed. With a vac sealed bag, it's fairly obvious when a bag loses its integrity and needs resealing. Your shredded chicken becoming dried out is evidence that your bag is not sealed properly, and some of the nutrient value could also be lost. With a zip lock I would not shred the chicken prior to freezing to minimize the surface area exposed to the air, and by not shredding it gives you more options when you thaw it out. If you are not freezing shredded chicken but you have leftovers, airtight container storage in a refrigerator will extend the freshness.

I think everyone here will agree, it is an essential. If you freeze food for any length of time, you absolutely need one of these to preserve the flavor, texture, and nutrient value. I think if you were to try an inexpensive but well-rated model of sealer and did your own comparison, it will make you a believer...but it really depends on if you use your freezer for anything other than short-term storage. It will improve the shelf life of anything you use it with, but it may not make sense for you if you only store things for a month or less.

Like all of the other responders, I vote in favor. We have been using ours for several years. Name brand, it has held up, but there are many options. My wife was cold to it at first because one more appliance means more clutter, but she has really warmed up to it. Now we can buy in bulk without worry (we have a huge freezer). We also sealed dried beans and flour.

She did her best with sealing without it, but nothing really worked that I could tell. I kept seeing freezer burned meat, and each package was of course a stake through my heart, not to mention a waste of money. I have not seen freezer burn in years, and that alone is worth the cost.

Been using a FoodSaver, (not the same one), for about 25 years now. I have used it for processing wild game and fish, long term storage of purchased meats, and storage of prepared foods. When I cook a large portion, say a brisket or butt, I portion out the leftover meat into serving sizes and vacuum seal. Makes for a great quick meal that thaws and microwaves easily. We also have frozen leftover lasagna as well as chili, soups and broths/stocks, though be aware that not all food freezes well, such as the beans in the chili that get a little odd in their texture, though taste fine. I think that they changed it now, but the original FoodSaver that I had stated that food would be good vacuum sealed 3-5 years if frozen properly. I actually grilled up a deer steak that had been in the back of the freezer for 5 years, and it was fine. Hope this helps.

Charlie

It allows me to be a whole "cut" of beef (or other protein). In the case of beef, we like strip steaks in prime grade. Costco is usually my go to due to aggressive pricing. But, I can never find steaks cut the way I want them. Example. Many people don't know this but a strip loin has 2 ends. (one not as desirable and the other is the "money" end") on the less desirable end there tends to be more sinew and smaller muscle "eye". I use that end to make a nice roast. Perfect for when I am having a get together and want something really nice to serve. It's usually about 4lbs (give or take). I also like to take off the large silver skin mass and nerve cap. (when you buy strips at the store it's rarely trimmed up). Finally I like them cut at 1.5". So I get my ruler out and make my marks accordingly. Now I have a nice roast, a number of steaks cut to MY liking (not for store profit), and usually about 1.5lbs of ground beef.
Same with a tenderloin of beef. Here again, I make my small roast (chateau Briand if you will) and then my nice steaks. I also end up with some nice tenderloin tips for other uses.
I have not tried making a cooked portion and reheating in the bag. But I might. Time will tell

Back