First Genesis 1000 restoration

Had that problem with my motor home. Mice chewing on the wires under the hood. I was told they like those because the plastic insulation has vegetable oil in it.
Told to put dryer sheets inside and in the engine compartment, put two boxes of sheets in the motor home. Came back a week later and all the sheets were gone in the engine compartment. Started looking around opened up the air filter and the little monsters had stuffed them into the air cleaner and made a nice warm nest.
Dryer sheets have worked great in my travel trailer. No problem at all. I also put them in the grills I have out back of the house during the winter. Zero problems there as well with several dirty greasy grills. Before the dryer sheets, I would always get nests in the grease trays. They have to be BOUNCE brand.

Dryer sheets have worked great in my travel trailer. No problem at all. I also put them in the grills I have out back of the house during the winter. Zero problems there as well with several dirty greasy grills. Before the dryer sheets, I would always get nests in the grease trays. They have to be BOUNCE brand.
Are you serious about the brand or what? What would a rodent care? LOL

Larry, not sure. But someone years ago told me about them and told me "Bounce" only. I have been using them in my camper for 7 years now and since I started putting one in each of my rehab grills out back in the woods and in the shed, I have not had a problem. I just started putting them in the grills two years ago, before that, when I left a grill out there in the winter, several of them would have nests in them come spring.
My buddy has an RV and he is trapping mouse after mouse after mouse in his RV every winter and they have chewed up his electrical twice now inside the camper. He cannot use the dryer sheets because his wife and daughter have breathing issues and they are essentially allergic to the dryer sheets. One of the grills we picked up from this guy yesterday had mouse nest in it and he lives in town. I just know, with me living in the country and never having any problem with rodents when using the sheets is a real thing. I guess I could try another brand, but a box of 30 Bounce sheets are only a few bucks.

In fact, last year I stored my camper at the local county 4H fairgrounds in a covered but not enclosed building. But it is a 4H fairgrounds that have farm animals during the summer. If any place would be ripe with mice and other critters, that would be it. My camper was fine last year. I still have to pick it up this spring.

I gotta give it a try in my back garage because I know those critters been using my tractor as a picnic table

Let me know how it works out for ya. I have had them do that on top of my car and truck engines from time to time, but I think they are squirrels or chipmunks because I find a pile of shelled acorns.

That reminds me, I need to start the Jeep! Last year I almost needed a shovel to get the walnut shells off the engine! This year, not anything! Not as cold and it was not a bumper crop of walnuts either. But, I digress!
That is a really great material for the slats! What a beautiful job as well Tyler! Strong work!

Larry, not sure. But someone years ago told me about them and told me "Bounce" only. I have been using them in my camper for 7 years now and since I started putting one in each of my rehab grills out back in the woods and in the shed, I have not had a problem. I just started putting them in the grills two years ago, before that, when I left a grill out there in the winter, several of them would have nests in them come spring.
My buddy has an RV and he is trapping mouse after mouse after mouse in his RV every winter and they have chewed up his electrical twice now inside the camper. He cannot use the dryer sheets because his wife and daughter have breathing issues and they are essentially allergic to the dryer sheets. One of the grills we picked up from this guy yesterday had mouse nest in it and he lives in town. I just know, with me living in the country and never having any problem with rodents when using the sheets is a real thing. I guess I could try another brand, but a box of 30 Bounce sheets are only a few bucks.

In fact, last year I stored my camper at the local county 4H fairgrounds in a covered but not enclosed building. But it is a 4H fairgrounds that have farm animals during the summer. If any place would be ripe with mice and other critters, that would be it. My camper was fine last year. I still have to pick it up this spring.

I have spent most if adult life learning to deal with Florida🌴🌞 pests 🐊which certainly include mice, rats🐀, “voles”, moles and innumerable insects🦟...Now I have to re-learn everything. We will be out in Indiana farm country, so Bruce I will be getting myself some Bounce sheets for sure! I will have to pick your brain more about living in the country in the Midwest.

I have spent most if adult life learning to deal with Florida🌴🌞 pests 🐊which certainly include mice, rats🐀, “voles”, moles and innumerable insects🦟...Now I have to re-learn everything. We will be out in Indiana farm country, so Bruce I will be getting myself some Bounce sheets for sure! I will have to pick your brain more about living in the country in the Midwest.
At least you won't have gators, iguanas, love bugs, boa constrictors and so on.

Not too much left to say - I found a couple hours to finish up the final assembly, do a quick light up (works perfectly!), and find it a spot on the patio. This thing is an absolute beast, I'm glad I took the time to do this one right! I think there's about $400-450 into it all told, but I built it and it is much higher quality than anything that can be bought at that price - or anywhere near it.

Gonna have to track down some ribeyes this weekend and break it in now!
20200421_111724.jpg
20200413_125332.jpg
20200413_125028.jpg
20200413_125057.jpg
20200413_124944.jpg
20200421_111908.jpg
20200413_125211.jpg
20200413_125135.jpg
20200413_125224.jpg
20200413_125109.jpg

Very nice. Looks like RCP grates and probably flavo bars. You are right, that grill will stand up to a brand new Genesis II in a grilling contest and will likely out last it by many years.
Yep, time to heat the meat market and get that thing seasoned and broke in. I would run it on high with all the parts in it for good half hour before putting any meat in there however.

Grilling pictures are mandatory. And I see that Roto braket. We need photos of a bird or something spinning on that as well.

That grill is a work of art. Needs to be preserved in a museum so one can just look at it.
I like the furniture pads you used for the assembly process. Need to get myself some.

My first Weber I bought in 1999 is a 1300LX, hunter green. It's currently in parts waiting for me to find time to restore it. It was propane and was protected with a slinky. I thought that's common for Weber grills?

Regarding the rodents issue others mentioned, I keep my grills in my mouse-proof shed over the winter so I don't have that problem.

Very nice. Looks like RCP grates and probably flavo bars. You are right, that grill will stand up to a brand new Genesis II in a grilling contest and will likely out last it by many years.
Yep, time to heat the meat market and get that thing seasoned and broke in. I would run it on high with all the parts in it for good half hour before putting any meat in there however.

Grilling pictures are mandatory. And I see that Roto braket. We need photos of a bird or something spinning on that as well.
Thanks! Yep, all RCP grates and bars. The warming rack is stainless but from another fabricator. It's nice but not RCP nice...

Definitely will post some action pics soon! I still need to pick up a rotisserie but it's on the docket. Looking at the heavy duty (I think they all say that) Onlyfire roto but haven't decided for sure yet.

Question for you more knowledge-able grill pros.

How much impact on performance does the two level 13 bar set up make as compared to the one level 5 bar?

I use GrillGrates on my 5 bar Silver B to get more even heat distribution and fewer flare ups.

Is that what you'd get with a 13 bar set up?

Yep, the deeper fire box in conjunction with the criss cross flavo bars allow for a more even heating.

Yep, the deeper fire box in conjunction with the criss cross flavo bars allow for a more even heating.
That was my understanding - I'm a little curious if there's any negative effect on sear quality with the greater distance between the burners and grate though. It seems to put out plenty of heat though so hopefully not an issue.

WOW!! What a beautiful restoration KTyler!

I just found a solid Genesis 2 redhead with a gas burner add-on. Then I found this group while researching the internet for parts. NOW I see this post ... I'm ready to get to work!

Back